Running the ball next year

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
IMO... this is THE most important thing you need to do to win football games. Run the ball effectively. Even Coach Mess stated going into the season that we were going to run the football. We were going to be a run dominant team. Well... so much for that.

We haven't been real successful in running the ball since the Davis brothers left. But IMO, we MUST bet able to run the ball in order to have success.

Just look at the National Championship game this year as a prime example. Both teams wanted to come into that game and establish their running games. Well, Alabama was able to do it, and ND wasn't, and we all saw what happened. ND could not stop Alabama's run game, and so they had to start bringing their safeties up to help out. Once they started doing that, the play action passes just burned them and were wide open down the field. And ND was finished. There was absolutely NOTHING they could do to stop Alabama at that point.... none.

Want another example that hits closer to home.... how about our bowl game against Tulsa? They ran for 300+ yds and we ran for under 100 yds.... and they beat us like a rented step mule. We had no answer for them defensively when we couldn't stop their run game. None. And for them, defense was easy since we couldn't run it on them.

Even in the pass happy NFL, you still need an effective running game to be successful. My favorite team, the Packers, are MUCH more effective when they can run the ball. They don't have to run it for a ton of yards, but it at least has to be a threat. And lately they have been running it much better, which has led to better performances from their offense.

So, we MUST be able to run the ball. And no, that doesn't mean we have to go to some kind of pro-style offense either in order to do so. We don't have to go to Alabama's style of offense in order to run the ball. If you don't agree, look at Oregon. They are the farthest thing from a pro-style offense, yet they run for a TON of yards. They run 60+% of the time. They are a pre-dominantly run oriented offense... yet put of a ton of yards and score a ton of points.

So the question then becomes, what do we need to do to become a lot better at running the ball? Obviously it all starts with the O-line. Our O-line was borderline horrible this year IMO. I don't understand all the people that sugarcoat it and try to say our O-line is ok because it's not. It's far from it IMO. We can't get the push needed to run the ball, and we don't give our QB's time to pass either. But I'm far from an O-line expert. So what needs to be done in order to improve our run blocking? New coach? Different strategy? Just plain better players? What?

Next you look at RBs. I think our RB's have been somewhat overrated too. James White is a serviceable Big 12 RB, and he's the best we have right now. Shontrelle IMO, has not lived up to what I thought he would be. But he's had injuries too. But he also runs east-west too much and not enough north-south IMO. He dances around too much IMO. Woody is pretty effective when given the chance, but he's pretty limited at making people miss in space.

And then you look at our entire offensive system. I don't like it. Never have since Herman got here. I can't stand this zone read option stuff that we run all the time. It's fine to mix it in once in a while, but it seems that it's all we do? We don't run enough mis-direction IMO. I would also like to see us go under center at times as well. There are plenty of teams that do both shotgun and under center both... so why can't we? It's not like you have to be just one or the other.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but IMO, we MUST be able to run the ball next year if we want to have any success at all. So how do we do that?

One thing I forgot to mention as well is our TE and WR blocking is horrible as well. Ernst Brun is our best pass catching TE, but is poor at run blocking. And our WR's don't block well at all IMO. You watch teams like Alabama, and their WRs are blocking like crazy. It is demanded of them. If we aren't running a pass play our WR's look dis-interested and don't care about blocking it seems?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone06
K

KFitzy87

2lxjk8n.gif

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think it's can't read. You hurted my feewlings.

That's what I thought. Thanks for taking the time out to come on here and completely derail what could have been an intelligent conversation about ISU football and turning it into a b**ch session. Thanks a lot.

K

KFitzy87

That's what I thought. Thanks for taking the time out to come on here and completely derail what could have been an intelligent conversation about ISU football and turning it into a b**ch session. Thanks a lot.
We need a better offensive line, and yes of course we need to run the ball effectively. There are my thoughts. Problem solved!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We need a better offensive line, and yes of course we need to run the ball effectively. There are my thoughts. Problem solved!

Thanks. Your insight is amazing! And your sarcasm is amazing too!

Oh well. I thought it was a possible good topic of conversation, but I guess not. Doesn't look like too many people want to discuss this. My bad.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN

I think this is a good summation of the situation. Good post Fitzy.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center

Everybody on this board knows we need to run the ball more effectively if we want to win more games. It is not that hard to figure that out.
I doubt a lot of the people reading this would have taken it very seriously. It it obvious what the team needs to do next year. Nobody here can do anything about that. Plus, most of us are trying to move onto basketball season...

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I disagree with your assessment on the running backs by saying they are overrated, because I they can each have a good day rushing on any given day. However, the coaching staff needs to put the running back in a position where they can succeed. In my arm chair coaching opinion, I would like to see one running back for a few plays before being subbed out so the RB can get in some sort of rhythm.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
The recievers struggle to block because they are undersized. It's not thier wheelhouse. We need some larger possesion recievers not just for matchups on the slant and fade but run blocking. And yes we need to run more than the zone read.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Everybody on this board knows we need to run the ball more effectively if we want to win more games. It is not that hard to figure that out.
I doubt a lot of the people reading this would have taken it very seriously. It it obvious what the team needs to do next year. Nobody here can do anything about that. Plus, most of us are trying to move onto basketball season...

I understand that most people realize we need to run the ball better. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we've been so bad at it, and what can be done to fix it?

Is it all due to a bad O-line? Bad coaching? Bad offensive scheme? Bad playcalling? Bad RBs? What is the cause?

I, along with a lot of others it seems, wouldn't mind seeing a change being made at OC, but we've been through so many OC's lately that I'm not sure it would help? Arnaud played under like 3 different OC's while he was here. You can't become good and consistent with that much change IMO. Look at Iowa this year under a new OC... their offense was dreadful. Iowa fans I know were begging for Ken O'Keefe to come back by the end of the year. So is getting another new OC really the answer?

Maybe Rhoads and Mess need to just sit down this offseason and revamp the offense somewhat? Is our O-line philosophy of having leaner and quicker O-linemen a good idea? Alabama had HUGE NFL sized O-linemen. But Oregon on the other hand probably uses the leaner and quicker O-linemen, so I think both can be successful.

But what needs to change for us to be better at running the ball? I would like to know. I can't really put my finger on it. I tend to think it's our system, our playcalling, and our lack of Big 12 caliber O-linemen that is the most to blame, but I'm not sure? I think our RBs are good enough to win with.

All I do know is that we MUST improve our running game to have any chance whatsoever of getting back to a bowl game again next year. Our defense will likely take a step backwards, so our offense needs to stay on the field longer IMO.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I don't know why you'd be so dismissive of CD's post. Guy obviously cares about ISU football and wants to talk about it. AND, the OC did in fact promise upon his promotion to run the ball more. He did this knowing full well what talent he had returning. Did he follow through? I don't think so.

Nothing wrong with a fan wanting to talk about this in earnest. If you don't want to read, don't. No need to post a pr*ckist gif and then attack a guy that calls you on it.

PS: Yes, I know ... lighten up, Francis.
I think it's can't read. You hurted my feewlings.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don't know why you'd be so dismissive of CD's post. Guy obviously cares about ISU football and wants to talk about it. AND, the OC did in fact promise upon his promotion to run the ball more. He did this knowing full well what talent he had returning. Did he follow through? I don't think so.

Nothing wrong with a fan wanting to talk about this in earnest. If you don't want to read, don't. No need to post a pr*ckist gif and then attack a guy that calls you on it.

Internet is serious business.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
The recievers struggle to block because they are undersized. It's not thier wheelhouse. We need some larger possesion recievers not just for matchups on the slant and fade but run blocking. And yes we need to run more than the zone read.

I'm not sure I agree with that. At times Jarvis seems like our best blocking receiver. In saying that I thought we missed Reynolds blocking this year.

Running more than the zone read seems so simple to me and I don't know why the coaches refuse to do it. With a mobile quarterback why not more option pitches and triple options. It does seem to me though at times like they are trying to downsize the number of traditional zone reads called and begin to call more run pass options.

K

KFitzy87

Lighten up, Francis.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I understand that most people realize we need to run the ball better. I'm just wondering what people's thoughts were on why we've been so bad at it, and what can be done to fix it?
A. We weren't physically dominant.

B. Shaban Dika was hurt and missed the entire season. He should have been one of our two most physical linemen on the inside.

C. The other of the two "physical linemen" was Ethan Tuftee, who was injured midseason. You might have noticed that he was playing on one leg the rest of the season, alternating series with Bob Graham--and there was an, um, bit of a dropoff...

D. Kyle Lichtenberg had a high center of gravity for playing inside. In other words, he's naturally a tackle, protecting against edge rushers, and kept getting blown off the ball.

E. As a freshman, Tom Farniok needed help from a guard inside. This season as a soph, he should have been the guy to help one of the guards. But once Tuftee was injured, does he help the guy on his left, or his right?

Without going any further, is that a good enough start for you?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I disagree with your assessment on the running backs by saying they are overrated, because I they can each have a good day rushing on any given day. However, the coaching staff needs to put the running back in a position where they can succeed. In my arm chair coaching opinion, I would like to see one running back for a few plays before being subbed out so the RB can get in some sort of rhythm.

I agree, they RB's aren't overrated, because who thinks they are great? We have servicable backs but I don't think its a stretch to say as a group, ours are among the weakest in our conference. I think White and Woody compliment each other well and like you said, the coaching staff doesn't do them any favors from a subbing and playcalling standpoint. I hate to say it but Shontrelle has hit his ceiling (he hasn't been the same since getting hurt), he tries to stretch everything outside and spends way too much time running sideways trying to get the corner. He has more talent than White but White is a much smarter runner and takes what the defense gives him. At the least SJ needs a year to get healthy and get his confidence back. This RB group looked like one of the better groups in our league before the season started but they just fizzled. The coaching staff bringing in a juco back speaks volumes IMO.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ

We could always use more speed in the backfield IMO. That's one thing that I really noticed in watching the other bowl games - it seems almost every winning team had better team speed than ISU.
I confess that when we get a new commit I notice the stars, other offers and size but seldom do I pay much attention to speed.
Did we get any speedsters in the 2013 commits? Any that red shirted this year?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron