Propane Filling in DSM

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Hey guys,

Looking for a place that does propane tank fills. I've read multiple stories online that say the Blue Rhino ones you exchange at stores are only filled to 80% of capacity. Screw that. Anyone know of a place??

*edit: Preferably on the west side

Last edited:

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Hey guys,

Looking for a place that does propane tank fills. I've read multiple stories online that say the Blue Rhino ones you exchange at stores are only filled to 80% of capacity. Screw that. Anyone know of a place??

The UHaul place south of Grand on 63rd St does it, too.

Reactions: ianoconnor

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
images

Reactions: Acylum

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Hey guys,

It is my understanding that the most that tanks can be filled to is 80% of capacity. That allows for expansion of the propane liquid without venting any gas.

Quote:
"About propane tanks.
The standard BBQ tank is generally referred to as a 20 lb tank as that is the amount of propane that it will safely hold. Often they hold slightly less than this, but it is over 19 lbs.
The tank is NOT filled all the way to the top with liquid. It is only filled to about 80% of the volume. That is for safety purposes. When filled the tank often gets cold due to some evaporation of the liquid. If the tank is then left out in the sun the liquid would expand. If all goes well, the safety pressure value would vent the excess liquid. This would be somewhat of a safety problem as you have escaping highly flammable gas. However, if the safety value was not functional, the tank could, under extreme conditions, rupture causing an extreme safety hazard. Filling to 80% allows for the expansion without any venting of gas. The full 20 lb (or nearly that) already takes into account the 80% fill limit."

Propane tank refill vs exchange - eLivermore.com

Last edited:

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Hey guys,

I think that 80% fill is what everyone will do. Propane tanks, even the bigger tanks that sit in your backyard, are filled to 80-85%. 90% is considered too full. Think expansion.

Your 20 pound tank should hold 20 pounds.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Blue Rhino fills them to 15 pounds.

*edit: 3rd line in your link under 'Quick Summary', aauummm.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think Blue Rhino is roughly $23 for 15 pounds. Not sure on the price of a 20 lb fill (some of these guys that get their's filled could probably comment), but I'm almost positive it's less than that. So you're getting 25% more for less.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I think Blue Rhino is roughly $23 for 15 pounds. Not sure on the price of a 20 lb fill (some of these guys that get their's filled could probably comment), but I'm almost positive it's less than that. So you're getting 25% more for less.

Don't remember exact price but where I get mine filled (not in DSM) its about 19-20 bucks for a 20lb fill.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Blue Rhino fills them to 15 pounds.

*edit: 3rd line in your link under 'Quick Summary', aauummm.

Yes, I noticed that. Regardless if you get 15 lbs with Blue Rhino or 20 lbs with a refill, you'll still pay the going rate per pound. The advantage with the refill (vs. exchange) is that you won't have to make as many trips to get your propane.

edit: As pointed out by others, buying propane by the tank from Blue Rhino would be a much higher cost due to local retail sales costs of handling tanks, tank delivery and retail overhead, etc.

Last edited:

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
You don't pay per pound w/ Blue Rhino. You pay their flat fee for exchange. If you equated it to price per pound it would be much higher than a refill station.

Reactions: aauummm

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Take it directly to a propane dealer, such as Ferrellgas. You will get prompt service and usually cheaper than a tank exchange.