Good Instant Stream Documentaries?

C

CyBer

Anyone got any good ideas for what documentaries to watch on Netflix Instant Stream?

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Anyone got any good ideas for what documentaries to watch on Netflix Instant Stream?

I pretty much love anything from PBS Nova.

There's a pretty great ~2 hour Lewis and Clark documentary that I watched after I read "Undaunted Courage" (Great book, by the way).

If you like crime and/or forensic stuff, Discovery has a lot of shows on there. For example, "Disappeared" and "I Almost Got Away with It".

Also, some good History Channel bits, such as "WWII in HD".

I dunno. I love documentaries and NetFlix. I hope this helps!

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Also, depending on your political views, "A Crude Awakening" and "Who Killed the Electric Car?" were compelling (though, admittedly, I didn't agree with all of their points).

I also think that the PBS series "The National Parks" is on there; it's effing fantastic.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Also, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" is great. I love space-related stuff. I wish I could have seen the moonwalk in July 1969. What a truly amazing accomplishment.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
Also, Carl Sagan's "Cosmos" is great. I love space-related stuff. I wish I could have seen the moonwalk in July 1969. What a truly amazing accomplishment.

If you have Hulu Plus, there is a very good one called "For All Mankind" which uses the actual footage shot during the Apollo program while the various astronauts talk about their recollections & memories about about the missions.

Also on Hulu Plus, "Burden Of Dreams" about the production of Werner Herzog's "Fitzcaraldo"

And I don't know if it's streaming anywhere, but "Hearts Of Darkness" is a must see. What was supposed to be a five minute promotional piece for Apocalypse Now turned into a chronicle of the 2 years Francis Ford Coppola spent in the Philippines making "Apocalypse Now", shot by his wife, Eleanor. In it you will see:

- A hurricane destroying the sets built in the jungle
- Harvey Keitel playing Capt. Willard, only to replaced after one week by Martin Sheen
- The Philippine Army constantly taking back their helicopters to fight a rebellion
- Marlon Brando refusing to show up on set & when he comes he literally makes up
his dialogue on the day of shooting.
- Dennis Hopper so stoned out his mind, he can't remember his lines.
- Martin Sheen having a heart attack & Coppola saying "If they hear about this back in LA, I'm ****ed!!"

And more!!

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Anything by Ken Burns. Trust me.
Thomas Jefferson
Lewis and Clark
Civil War
World War II
National Parks
etc
etc

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The Rock-afire Explosion

Seriously, if you ever went to a Showbiz Pizza as a kid, this is a pretty cool documentary. I had heard it was being made and was surprised to find it the other night.