New College Wrestling Alignment

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Here is an article in the Register about an idea that should be circulating with the D1 college teams right now. Looks interesting. the only team getting hosed is UNI, who I wish would be with us and the rest of the Big 12.

UNI's coach seems to be OK with it...

“I like that better,” Northern Iowa coach Doug Schwab said. “It gets you more ready for the national tournament. The Big Ten is a huge tournament and really prepares you well for nationals, having three tough matches.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
This sounds like a great idea to me. Yes, conference alignments matter, but in wrestling where some conferences have many programs (B1G), some have few (Big 12), and some only have one (SEC), it makes sense to do something different to level the playing field. Wrestling regional teams just makes sense, and if I remember correctly, wouldn't ISU have to go to a regional tournament anyway once there are only 3 wrestling schools in the Big 12?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I'd be very surprised at any wrestling regionals that put the Big XII schools with the MAC. If the Big XII schools agreed to this I'd expect them to join with the PAC-12 schools or the WWC for a regional qualifier. I think there would have to be a lot of outside pressure for the schools to agree to give up the Big XII tournament though.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I think Mr. Schwab is suffering concussion like symptoms. The article says they will be wrestling with the Pac 12, not the Big 10.

He wrestled and coached at Iowa, hence the Big Ten reference.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I like this idea, I hope it takes. It helps us as far as having a more clear cut qualifying process and getting us to facing more diverse competition prior to nationals. It helps every school that is a part of a small wrestling conference really. Keeps things a little more steady all around.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'd be very surprised at any wrestling regionals that put the Big XII schools with the MAC. If the Big XII schools agreed to this I'd expect them to join with the PAC-12 schools or the WWC for a regional qualifier. I think there would have to be a lot of outside pressure for the schools to agree to give up the Big XII tournament though.

All it would take is the NCAA removing the Big 12's exemption for the conference tourney to be a qualifying event for the NCAA tourney. The Big 12 could keep the tournament to crown the conference champion. Depending on the timing of the MU departure and WVU beginning competition in the Big 12, losing the exemption could happen. If the timing is such that there are only three teams for a year, it is very difficult to see the Big 12 tourney getting an exemption with only three teams. I'm kind of surprised they continue to get it with four.