Big East to expand

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
So when is WVU free of this rubble?

edit-still unknown

Last edited:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
What a joke. Can everyone just get a do-over and go back to the original configuration from when the BCS was constructed? Money hungry administrators have ruined regional rivalries and now fans won't be able to travel to road games.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
What a joke. Can everyone just get a do-over and go back to the original configuration from when the BCS was constructed? Money hungry administrators have ruined regional rivalries and now fans won't be able to travel to road games.
Oh, sure they will. I mean, how could you not want to fly from San Diego to Connecticut in late November just to watch a football game?? :jimlad:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I really wish I could see this actually happening. Even if we could go back to pre-2010 conferences and set a team cap at 12 would be much better. I can see re-alignment collapsing under it's own weight, but I don't really relish sitting through the next decade waiting for it to happen.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
They're going to rename this, right?

I don't see it happening unless they start treating the football and basketball conference as seperate but connected entities. The Big East basketball name has too much cache for them to walk away from that.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
I can see re-alignment collapsing under it's own weight, but I don't really relish sitting through the next decade waiting for it to happen.

I feel the same and I feel better about waiting because I think the big XII is fairly stable at this point.

I think the SEC will be the first to crack.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I feel the same and I feel better about waiting because I think the big XII is fairly stable at this point.

Whomever goes to 16 first will be the one to crack.

My gut says that's the sec taking VA Tech and FSU.

They will be done in by their out of control hubris.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

I have to imagine there are a lot of SEC fans ****** that they will play long-time rivals less often for the sake of adding Mizzou and A&M. Not that they are necessarilly terrible teams that will never compete, but you'll still have the Florida, Bama, and LSU's of the conference coming to town less often.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Nothing says Big East like sunny San Diego
LOL.....

I cant wait for the **** storm of complaining when SDSU has to go play in the "conference aligned" New Era Pinstripe Bowl.... that will be a treat!

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
LOL.....

I cant for the **** storm of complaining when SDSU has to go play in the "conference aligned" New Era Pinstripe Bowl.... that will be a treat!

over/under for attendance at a Texas Tech-SDSU Pinstripe bowl?:twitcy:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
What a joke of a conference.

It's not good, but we weren't too far from being in their position. There are teams that know they are going to get shut out. They are doing everything they can to retain their BCS status and honeslty, I can't blame them for that. The problem with the Big East isn't as much them as everyone else taking teams from them. We are one of those conferences. Where I feel the Big XII is a little more just ified because it meant survival, not expansion, just like us, the Big East is doing what ever they can to survive.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It's not good, but we weren't too far from being in their position. There are teams that know they are going to get shut out. They are doing everything they can to retain their BCS status and honeslty, I can't blame them for that. The problem with the Big East isn't as much them as everyone else taking teams from them. We are one of those conferences. Where I feel the Big XII is a little more just ified because it meant survival, not expansion, just like us, the Big East is doing what ever they can to survive.

I really think there are only 2 (maybe even just one) conferences you can blame for how big of a mess this became: Pac-12 and SEC.
-I think the Big Ten legitimately just wanted to eliminate it's quirky 11-team make up once and for all and didn't really intend for things to blow up like they did.
-The Big 12 has only reached out to new teams when necessary and has never been an aggressor.
-The ACC sort of looks like a bad guy, but I think adding Syracuse and Pitt was done out of fear that it was only a matter of time until the SEC came after 2 of their teams to make it 16. I don't think they are really all that different from the Big 12.

I still don't get why the SEC bothered to entertain A&M's interest at all. They are already the most "national" of all the conferences because of all their success this decade. I think if they wanted to launch a "SEC Network" they could do it easily, but they don't even appear to be considering that.

The real obvious villian thought is Larry Scott who really seemed to cause a lot of the instability during both of the re-alignment crisises.