MLB: Sad Deal - Sorry for Josh Hamilton

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Apparently his 4-year old was at the game with him and yelled "daddy!" as he witnessed his father go over the railing.

Horrible tragedy and freak accident. Thoughts and prayers with that little boy and his family.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
The clip is sureal. It doesnt look like he should have fallen, or that he would have died. His son was right there watching. I sincerely hope he doesn't recall a single bit of it.

Two people have fallen in stadiums this year, coincidentally, both fire fighters I think. The first did not die of his injuries, though.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
That's so crazy that he was talking and asking about his son as they wheeled him away on the stretcher and then he just goes into arrest in the ambulance. Unreal. And then to see his son standing right next to him watching it all.....tough to watch.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Unfortunatley Hamilton and the Rangers will be sued by this guys family. And as a result players will no longer throw balls into the stands for fear of something like this happening and being sued.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Hamilton won't be sued. Somebody will, but not Hamilton. Hamilton didn't make the guy try to catch the ball.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
After watching the video, It looks like he fell through a 4ft or so wide gap, between the stands and the scoreboard. I wonder why that gap didn't have a little fence or net between the two.
You can also see him reach his arm out as he was falling, it's too bad he couldn't just grab the wall a little longer/harder, to flip his body around from falling head first to feet first.
Anyways, what a tragic accident.

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
The clip is sureal. It doesnt look like he should have fallen, or that he would have died. His son was right there watching. I sincerely hope he doesn't recall a single bit of it.

Two people have fallen in stadiums this year, coincidentally, both fire fighters I think. The first did not die of his injuries, though.

Just over a year ago, there was a fire fighter that fell at the Rangers Ballpark, he did not die. Earlier this season, a fan fell and died at a Rockies game.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
no one should be able to be sued in this case, whether it be hamilton or the rangers. most baseball teams have a warning at the beginning of the game that releases them from responsibilities if you are injured or die. im hoping the rangers or hamilton do something similar to what tim lincecum did after the giants fan was beaten at the dodgers game earlier this season and donate money to the family

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
no one should be able to be sued in this case, whether it be hamilton or the rangers. most baseball teams have a warning at the beginning of the game that releases them from responsibilities if you are injured or die. im hoping the rangers or hamilton do something similar to what tim lincecum did after the giants fan was beaten at the dodgers game earlier this season and donate money to the family

Yes, this is true, though last year a fan sued the Royals after being hit by a hotdog fired from a cannon by the mascot, claiming it damaged his eye and vision. I believe the suit was tossed out because the guy was full of crap. I've caught one before, nothing like a cold hotdog fired from a cannon to satisfy your hunger.

That is terrible what happened, feel awful for the players and Hamilton especially along with the accident victim's family of course. Poor Hamilton, he did nothing wrong but that is the kind of thing he will remember forever.

Last edited:

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
hopefully this doesn't send Hamilton emotionally over the cliff and back to doing drugs or drinking........this kind of event can't be good for an addict.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTN0Anp4uSA]YouTube - ‪Texas Rangers Fan Dies Falling Out Of Stands‬‏[/ame]

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
I hope in the goodness of human spirt that all those involved will understand that this was nothing more than a horrible accident. And one of the worst at that. Accidents do happen and sometimes there is no one to blame.

Last edited:

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
Ya, that just ruined my day. I have taken my kids to plenty of ball games and amusement parks and I can't fathom not coming home with them or vice versa. You can't live in a bubble, but you really have to be cautious.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

That wouldn't hold up in court most likely. You can't release yourself from negligence.

The part that could get the Rangers sued is not having a net between the scoreboard and seats.

That doesn't mean that I think this family should sue, or that they would win if they did. I think the Rangers will likely give some money to the family anyway.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
I'm surprised they didn't have a net or something else between the railing and the scoreboard.

Either way, it's a sad incident for both teams and the man's family. Feel especially bad for the little boy, who saw it all happened, and likely would have been the recipient of that ball.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I'm surprised they didn't have a net or something else between the railing and the scoreboard.

Either way, it's a sad incident for both teams and the man's family. Feel especially bad for the little boy, who saw it all happened, and likely would have been the recipient of that ball.

Yes it is. The Rangers didn't even open up the clubhouse for the press after the game and one player broke down crying (A's bullpen pitcher who was probably standing 20 feet from where the guy fell)

My only hope is that the kid doesn't remember this day but even at that age this isn't something that he's likely to forget.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I wouldn't call this an assumed risk of attending a baseball game either. At the same time, I'm not sure who's more negligent - the Rangers for not having a net/support, or the fan for attempting to catch a ball that would unfortunately pull him over the edge. This all is likely mute as I can't imagine the Rangers not giving the family some money and avoiding a lawsuit.