MLB: Cubs name Cashner 5th starter

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This surprised me...Cashner deserved the spot over Silva, but I still expected the Cubs to go with Silva because of his hefty salary. Good for the Cubbies giving the job to the guy that earned it.

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Silva won't go to the minors. He'll be released unless the Cubs trade him and eat essentially all of his salary.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Silva has already refused to go to the Minors. Apparently he had a nasty media session today as well.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
This surprised me...Cashner deserved the spot over Silva, but I still expected the Cubs to go with Silva because of his hefty salary. Good for the Cubbies giving the job to the guy that earned it.
Right on. I had the same concerns, and I love the decision. Hopefully Cashner holds up his end of the bargain.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Was a concern of mine as well, but stats wise, its impossible to make an argument for Silva. My hopes are that the Cubs have some suitors in mind for a trade for Silva, which made this decision all that much easier. It would be nice to package Silva and Fukudome, somewhere. Could use a solid second baseman, and Michael Young has been wanting out of Texas...

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It blows my mind that Carlos Silva doesn't seem to realize he's been paid millions of dollars to be an awful pitcher for several years now.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
It blows my mind that Carlos Silva doesn't seem to realize he's been paid millions of dollars to be an awful pitcher for several years now.

He actually was pretty solid last year with peripherals that back up his performance just health issues.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Judging by Silva's reaction the Cubs made the right move. The guy seems to have a "me first" attitude and his blowup this spring is just further evidence of that. I don't think he would have taken a demotion to the bullpen very well either and I don't think he would have been a good option out of the pen either so good for the Cubs for cutting ties with an overpaid drama queen who didn't do anything this spring to earn a spot on the roster.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Down to one roster spot to fill, I hope they sent Castillo to Iowa and give him a month or two of playing nearly everyday.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

What a great life. Had to go 10-6 last year to make it to 70-70 career record, career 4.68 era. 12.75mil salary this year for a .500 pitcher. God Bless America!! Looks like he was released today.

Carlos Silva, Chicago Cubs, MLB - CBSSports.com Baseball

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
lol what does this have do with the thread? the cubs just made a smart decision that made the team better and saved them some potenial major clubhouse headaches at the same time.

Well, a couple of bad moves put them in this position, but I get what you're saying. In a vacuum, they definitely made the right move here.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Correction: He was actually pretty solid for half the year. His ERA was over 11 after the all star break.

Yes an 11 inning sample is completely relevant especially recovering from a heart surgery.