Zion Griffin Transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Prohm specifically said that Griffin was a kid that worked really hard in the offseasn and maybe improved the most of anybody. I just think he was overrated. He had one really good tournament where he got several offers but kid probably should be at a lower level.

Is work ethic/commitment exclusive to the offseason?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't think Zion's lack of development is on Prohm. Prohm spoke openly about his perceived ability, gave him all the confidence in the world. He was given plenty of playing time early to show out. He either didn't listen or couldn't connect the dots for himself. It's unfortunate it didn't work out, you always hate to see a young guy leave the program, especially one that came in with a little bit of clout. I wish him well at his next stop, but I do not think this makes ISU worse next season. Use the scholarship on someone who can contribute immediately and in a big way.

Is this a common theme over the last 3 years?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
To be fair, finding guys who will put in that work is part of the deal.

College basketball is mostly recruiting.

The includes recruiting personalities and work ethics, not just athletes.

It is part of the deal. For some kids they may have great work ethic in high school, but priorities change.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Not sure the logic of the folks talking like this is a good situation for ISU. The yep he’s no good now we can get an immediate impact player. Hello McFly there isn’t just a stock pile of starter caliber major DI talent laying around waiting for an offer from ISU. To lose a 4 star after being in your system two years is not ideal however you try to spin it. No way in heck will any player that scholarship gets for 2020/21 contribute more than what Zion would have to the team next year.

Just letting you know there is this thing called the transfer portal. It's becoming a pretty big deal in college sports

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I think Zion has all of the athleticism to be successful but to me he just seemed too passive during the game. So many 3s when I think he had the tools to get to the rim. Also his defense was pretty ugly. Good luck to him, I think if he can land in a spot where he can get a lot of playing time he can be successful.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Speaking of assistant coaches.......It seemed to me that our staff is noticeably larger than most. Anecdotally, it appeared that the staff took up half the bench at a home game while the team took up the other half. Looking at the other team and they only had maybe half the staff (both on the bench and listed on the program). Anyone else notice that?

Every coaching staff is the same size - right? We can't have more assistant coaches than allowed by NCAA.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
And maybe all this is true. But I just don't think you can absolve Steve on Zion's lack of development. He's the coach.

It just seems like certain people have zero expectations for Steve. Nothing is his fault. Players don't develop? Well that's the players fault. We lose 20 games? Well he lost a lot of talent. Consistently gets out-coached? Time for new assistants. What exactly is it we pay him 2 million dollars a year for?

He deserves another year and I can concede there are some things outside of his control. But I just find it absurd that some people refuse to have expectations for him...
I know guys like Zion, Jakolby Long and Terrence Lewis have come in and underwhelmed and it's been frustrating, given the fact that all 3 had decent offers and ranked fairly high coming out of HS. But this happens everywhere in college basketball. Guys just don't always pan out.

One doesn't even have to look very far to find it. It happens to Bill Self almost on a yearly basis, granted he has a much wider margin for error. Just taking a look at his 2015-16 team, he had a couple guys in his rotation that were both highly ranked and underachieving. Brannen Greene and Carlton Bragg combined to average 8 points and 4 rebounds per game. These are both guys that were 4 star recruits and in the top 40 of their respective classes. This is not isolated to Steve, it is just indicative of how sometimes guys are busts.

I understand Steve is the one bringing in these 'busts', so still his fault. But what is he supposed to do, not recruit highly ranked players? When guys with high potential like Zion, Terrence, and Jakolby want to commit to ISU, you usually take them no questions asked. Just remember too, for every one of those 3, we also have a Lindell, THT, and Tyrese who were not busts.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Agreed.. but that's also i think an indicator of assistant coach issues. The head coach isn't the one that can develop all of the talent (he doesn't have the time). I think this group of assistant coaches is lacking and a change in that regard is needed.
I’ve been saying that for weeks. Prohm needs to make a change to his staff if he wants to save this sinking ship.
Keep Kane, time to move on from Small and Robinson. That’s my guess.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
It has been, and Zion's own instagram would support some priority issues.

Maybe it has been once the season started but Prohm specifically stated he never questions that Griffin will try hard and hustle. before the season and mentioned a good work ethic.