Zion Griffin Transferring

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I agree and disagree. I disagree because look at Lonzo Ball, he has completely changed his shot and is shooting the best he has since going to the NBA (almost physically hurt me to say something positive about a Ball). The difference is that he's an NBA player and can spend 8+ hours a day to work on that shot. Zion doesn't have that luxury. Also, the Pelicans didn't have any real expectations this year. Sure they might have expected to make the playoffs but they were ok with Ball having the green light and continue to work on his shot in games. Again, Zion didn't have that luxury. In college ball you don't just get one season where you say we have no expectations and just let guys play through mistakes. So if he missed one shot and was pulled shortly after, his confidence probably went way down. I'm not a fan of "blaming" a college athlete but maybe if he worked on his shot and defense more in the off season it could have helped and Prohm could have done some things to help him be more successful during the season.
lonzo is still an atrocious shooter.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyPunch

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Lol, Monte developed under Prohm? Put down the pipe. Or were you living in the mountains Afghanistan when Monte was already ripe for the league but came back thinking Prohm would help him improve his draft stock? Prohm failed to do that due to his disruption of the flow of the game with them silly timeouts etc. Prohm has not developed anyone at ISU. Show me a first round pick since he’s been here. Even those that stay here, show me one that is of Ejim’s caliber. Just one. Ejim was not a 5star or 4 but Fred developed him into a legit player. Ejim was a lottery pick player, age is what prevented him. So don’t talk about developing players here because I have not seen anything. Get real and quit being emotional. Prohm is driving this program to the times before Hoiberg got here. Next year will be even worse if Tyrese leaves. Better be praying this virus sticks around because it’s the only shot Prohm At not being exploded at being a mid major league coach, because we are not making the NIT next year either.

Monte's bread and butter under Prohm was his mid range game, a shot he wasn't supposed to take under Fred.

Nader and Thomas developed in a huge way under Prohm too.

The first round pick thing is weird because he is literally going up do that with Haliburton lol

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lol, Monte developed under Prohm? Put down the pipe. Or were you living in the mountains Afghanistan when Monte was already ripe for the league but came back thinking Prohm would help him improve his draft stock? Prohm failed to do that due to his disruption of the flow of the game with them silly timeouts etc. Prohm has not developed anyone at ISU. Show me a first round pick since he’s been here. Even those that stay here, show me one that is of Ejim’s caliber. Just one. Ejim was not a 5star or 4 but Fred developed him into a legit player. Ejim was a lottery pick player, age is what prevented him. So don’t talk about developing players here because I have not seen anything. Get real and quit being emotional. Prohm is driving this program to the times before Hoiberg got here. Next year will be even worse if Tyrese leaves. Better be praying this virus sticks around because it’s the only shot Prohm At not being exploded at being a mid major league coach, because we are not making the NIT next year either.
Wait so does Tyrese not count? Lol Tyrese wasn't a 4 or a 5 star and is a projected top-5 pick.

Reactions: CyTwins

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
These guys get a lot of hot air blown up their dirt chutes while being recruited. Then after arriving, they face the brutal facts of academics, grueling practices, teammates taking them to school, tough coaching, and so on. Many can't handle the realities while longing for more positive attention. So, they leave. It happens at every school.
Don’t beat on the young men, it’s all on coaching. They loved it and stuck around when Fred was here. So? Infact ISU was labeled Transfer U, not so much. Prohm abandoned what worked here. You all thought he would go find some nobody and developed them into a Camron Payne... who ended up being a burst anyways. Not in this league.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Don’t beat on the young men, it’s all on coaching. They loved it and stuck around when Fred was here. So? Infact ISU was labeled Transfer U, not so much. Prohm abandoned what worked here. You all thought he would go find some nobody and developed them into a Camron Payne... who ended up being a burst anyways. Not in this league.
TYRESE WAS A 3 STAR AND IS ABOUT TO BE A LOTTERY PICK

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I am not going to blame Prohm on this one. Griffin had a ton of potential. When THT declared, we needed Griffin to take a major step forward and he didn't. I won't fault his effort on the court, but he didn't really do anything to convince Prohm to play him more. Not good on defense, not good on offense. We needed more than a hustle player or garbage man.
Agree with this entire post except Griffin having a ton of potential. Sadly, he is not a high level D1 talent. I wish him well, but best for everybody that he move on.

semi related to another thread - Nixon has a great looking shot. They just seldom go in.

• Funny
Reactions: CyberJJJ

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Every school loses players almost every year. Be happy we're still losing the guys that can't get into the rotation instead of the guys at the top of it.

This is the main difference between Prohm and McDermott.

I feel like a rat standing on the guardrail of the SS Prohm. I am looking over the edge and ready to jump, but I would really like just to get back fully onboard.

If McDermott were the head coach, then Jackson and Grill would be out of here this offseason and Solomon would be a top-tier graduate transfer. Basically every good team in the country would be after him about now -- with good reason.

None of those things have happened.

I am jumping when the projected starters are leaving -- not the scrubs.

cw0012

Feb 21, 2020
lonzo is still an atrocious shooter.
Believe me, I really don't think he's great or even good but 38% from 3pt isn't atrocious. Especially when you consider that he shot 30% his rookie year. In fact it's 68th best in NBA. Better than guys like McCollum, Kemba Walke and Danny Green. His free throw % is atrocious at 56% but that's up 10% from his rookie year. Again, not trying to talk up Lonzo Ball but he is an actual good example of someone who changed their shot and is currently proving that it can work this "late" in their career.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
The Cyclones need a change of culture. Guys like Lewis and Griffin need to go.
We're going to have 5, maybe 6 new faces on the team next year. Next year's team will look and feel completely different than this year's team. We should be better, but the way we play and the athletes we will now have, it'll look like a whole new Cyclones team.

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Agree with this entire post except Griffin having a ton of potential. Sadly, he is not a high level D1 talent. I wish him well, but best for everybody that he move on.

semi related to another thread - Nixon has a great looking shot. They just seldom go in.

I think that he had potential as a stretch 4 coming in. Pretty athletic, can run and jump well. He was a post in HS before showing some range on the perimeter in AAU. If he continued that improvement, he would have been a good player here. It just never happened for whatever reason. I do agree that it was best for all parties for him to move on. He might do really well at the low major level...I hope he does.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We're going to have 5, maybe 6 new faces on the team next year. Next year's team will look and feel completely different than this year's team. We should be better, but the way we play and the athletes we will now have, it'll look like a whole new Cyclones team.

I agree with this, but I also agree with his broader point that the program needs some four-year and five-year culture guys to set the tone for everybody else.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree with this, but I also agree with his broader point that the program needs some four-year and five-year culture guys to set the tone for everybody else.
Absolutely. And hopefully these 4 freshman are good enough to contribute but not good enough to leave in a year or two. We might have that in Foster, but hopefully we're able to hold onto the other guys, as well as find pieces around them to fit.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If he hasn't graduated I think he will stay.
I'm with you on this. And I think that's fine if he does. If he can't go play somewhere immediately, he might as well stay and get his degree with the friends he's made on the team and elsewhere at ISU. Who knows? Maybe he can find that extra gear next year that he seems to be lacking thus far.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Wait so does Tyrese not count? Lol Tyrese wasn't a 4 or a 5 star and is a projected top-5 pick.
They like to say he got lucky never mind the fact that Tyrese wasn't projected as high as he is now beginning the year, but then people like to say Bruce Weber is why Tyrese got better.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm with you on this. And I think that's fine if he does. If he can't go play somewhere immediately, he might as well stay and get his degree with the friends he's made on the team and elsewhere at ISU. Who knows? Maybe he can find that extra gear next year that he seems to be lacking thus far.
I just think his best choice is to do just that. He nearly has his degree, ISU is a great school, with good people, he's not going pro with his current resume, and he could find some time on the floor if he improves his defense.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
You don't know the facts but you offer a solution. SWEET!
Ha. Touche. But, isn't that how a message board works...? I was speaking re: Zion. Overall, it seems like it has to be the case that guys aren't getting in the gym like in the past - Monte, Naz, Matt, etc. Or, if they are, then they were highly overrated by the recruiting services and the coaches.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron