Yikes

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
ISU takes set one TCU 26-24. Be nice if this woman commentator stopped saying Iowa. Nalls only TCU weapon looks like

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Lose to TCU 3-1. Look disjointed and susceptible to long runs by opponents. ISU appears to be slipping into the depths of conference volleyball. This past week, the Royals fired the GM that built them into World Series champions 7 years ago. CJL and JP will need to undergo an extensive review of this program, and figure out how to get it back on track.

• Sad
Reactions: NWICY

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
Don’t follow Volleyball all that close but the last 4-5 years appear to be pretty mediocre.
Is a change needed? We seem to have taken a step or 2 back. 2-3rd best in Big 12 to middle of the pack?
I see comments about facilities. What’s changed?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Don’t follow Volleyball all that close but the last 4-5 years appear to be pretty mediocre.
Is a change needed? We seem to have taken a step or 2 back. 2-3rd best in Big 12 to middle of the pack?
I see comments about facilities. What’s changed?

For what it's worth WBB slumped like this a few yrs back and then the rumor is Billy got deeper into recruiting and we got things turned around (That's what I heard not, I'm not a WBB insider) Maybe need to hire someone young and hunger to do some recruiting?

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
For what it's worth WBB slumped like this a few yrs back and then the rumor is Billy got deeper into recruiting and we got things turned around (That's what I heard not, I'm not a WBB insider) Maybe need to hire someone young and hunger to do some recruiting?
CJL did make a staff change after last season with Neef replacing Fiona, a supposed move to a younger, more energetic recruiter.

Lots of things to point to regarding the recent regression: loss of Dawn Sullivan, slippage in team conditioning and player development and slippage with recruiting and part of that IMO is playing in Hilton when the competition in the Upper MW are playing in smaller VB venues with better home court environments.

• Informative
Reactions: OKClones and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
CJL did make a staff change after last season with Neef replacing Fiona, a supposed move to a younger, more energetic recruiter.

Lots of things to point to regarding the recent regression: loss of Dawn Sullivan, slippage in team conditioning and player development and slippage with recruiting and part of that IMO is playing in Hilton when the competition in the Upper MW are playing in smaller VB venues with better home court environments.

Then it becomes a revenue equation, do we build a VB only facility on a sport that runs in the red? I realize the only sports that run in the black are FB and MBB. Maybe a shared VB wrestling facility? Using Hilton for wrestling when Iowa comes to town (maybe the same with VB?) to drive revenue?
When the VB team 1st got good it seems they were filling up the lower bowl fairly well. I haven't made a game yet this yr so I don't know how they are drawing. WBB has similar issues with the announced tickets very seldom matching the # of people in the seats. The difference is those seats are sold so they make revenue whether people show or not. Well this turned longer than it should have. Hope they get things turned around and make the tourney.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Then it becomes a revenue equation, do we build a VB only facility on a sport that runs in the red? I realize the only sports that run in the black are FB and MBB. Maybe a shared VB wrestling facility? Using Hilton for wrestling when Iowa comes to town (maybe the same with VB?) to drive revenue?
Previously posted that a shared VB/WR venue with approx 3K seating as part of CyTown that would be used year round for Club VB/BB/WR events, conventions, student/alum events would likely have been economically viable.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Previously posted that a shared VB/WR venue with approx 3K seating as part of CyTown that would be used year round for Club VB/BB/WR events, conventions, student/alum events would likely have been economically viable.

So is it still in the Cytown plans?

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I didn’t see the vb game today but last few games the libero has been out. They've looked kind of lost on defense and poor passing. Hopefully they’ll get everyone back healthy and turn it around.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
losing to TCU is a tournament NCAA killer. CJL needs to turn this around recruiting has to be better. our best players recently were players that fell to us after MN and WI coaching changes and Schaben. i hope she and new staff can get it together

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Doesn't help that we are the northernmost Big 12 school and residing in Big 10 country, the league with the nations best volleyball. Three top 10 teams with 4 hours of us, sort of a losing proposition for recruiting these days IMHO. With Texas leaving the Big 12 will drop even further with only Baylor and Kansas (sort of) as having relevance, and maybe the added BYU.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Doesn't help that we are the northernmost Big 12 school and residing in Big 10 country, the league with the nations best volleyball. Three top 10 teams with 4 hours of us, sort of a losing proposition for recruiting these days IMHO. With Texas leaving the Big 12 will drop even further with only Baylor and Kansas (sort of) as having relevance, and maybe the added BYU.
Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois were good before the ISU slide. Creighton, Marquette and KU not so much but they are now clearly above ISU.

BYU and UCF are both current Top 25 programs. Houston is receiving Top 25 votes. KSU will be playing in new VB arena so ISU could slide further down down the B12 totem pole starting next season if things don't start turning around.

Last edited:

VOLLEYMH

Dec 12, 2021
There have certainly been head scratchers over the years. Sometimes I don't get the choices with the middles and even the libero for starting line ups.

The fact that we had a good libero a few years back lose her starting spot with ISU, transfer and start with a much better program makes me question if the staff is maybe not making wise choices with recruiting and who they pick for starting line ups.

Last edited:

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
There have certainly been head scratchers over the years. Sometimes I don't get the choices with the middles and even the libero for starting line ups.

The fact that we had a good libero a few years back lose her starting spot with ISU, transfer and start with a much better program makes me question if the staff is maybe not making wise choices with recruiting and who they pick for starting line ups.
All those assistant coaches are gone- Malcom has been the only one retained. Libero U has not had an outstanding Libero since Hillegas or Caitlyn Nolan. If I remember right we had Schuler an OH beat out all the liberos and she is no longer with team. Popovich did a good job filling in but we need to go get a good one asap.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
All those assistant coaches are gone- Malcom has been the only one retained. Libero U has not had an outstanding Libero since Hillegas or Caitlyn Nolan. If I remember right we had Schuler an OH beat out all the liberos and she is no longer with team. Popovich did a good job filling in but we need to go get a good one asap.
To VOLLEYMH's point, Hillegas was benched at libero by CJL at ISU, transfers to Pitt and then starts for a Top 10 program. That has been the most perplexing personnel management decision by the staff amongst others in recent years. The libero play has obviously not been up to prior standards but there are issues at the other positions as well outside of Holthaus whose own production/efficiency is down from prior seasons.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron