Wrong headline - buffalo - human encounter

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I like the commentary. The woman is so worried and the guy is just like "Yep, it got her. Yep, that's what happens when you get too close, yep."

At least the people filming are at a safer distance. The other people seem to be just fine where they are. I'd be either getting that de-panted woman out of the road or moving further away.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
The lady that took the video had other videos of everything leading up to this. Right before this the lady that was attacked was pretty close to one of the bulls trying to take a selfie. So dumb how many people lose all common sense around wild animals. Growing up on a dairy farm you always had to respect the cows with new baby calves. My dad would never let us in the pens if we had a bull on site either since they are so unpredictable.

Reactions: Sparkplug

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I refuse to call them Bison. That 2014 a**-kicking NDSU gave us still burns to this day.

Use the Lakota word, tatanka.

tenor.gif

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
I disagree. It is made abundantly clear how dangerous it is. Some people just choose to ignore the warnings because they are too cool for school. Well, they don't always attack, but when they do, you don't have much of a chance.

Woman is lucky to be alive. Hopefully laying on the ground, de-pantsed, unconscious knocked some sense into her.

Not sure where we disagree...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Meh, she'll be fine. Any self-respecting Sturgis Motorcycle Mamma has shown she can take a June bug in the face at 75 mph without flinching.

Ha, found a panel from that 50 year old Zap comic I was thinking of. Not sure I can post the full panel although it's not as over the top obscene as most of the Zaps.

zap comic june bug.png

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I've spent a lot of time in Sierra Nevadas and had my first truly close bear encounter I couldn't avoid a year ago. I can't imagine approaching big wild animals intentionally.

Even after the bear encounter probably more afraid of rattlesnakes, they appear near trail in the sun and can blend in or be hidden from view. Heading out for another 6 day backpacking trip in a month.

We spent a week in a cabin in the Smokies a few weeks ago. Had a bear saunter on past us while we were sitting in the hot tub, and another give us a quick peek while we were firing up the grill.

That's some up close and personal nature right there.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I remember riding through Custer State park and saw all the bison in the road and all the cars backed up waiting to get through. I just pulled off into a nearby parking lot and just watched from a safe distance and waited for them to spread out a bit.
I just don't understand how anyone doesn't understand that they are wild animals and they will attack if they feel threatened.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We spent a week in a cabin in the Smokies a few weeks ago. Had a bear saunter on past us while we were sitting in the hot tub, and another give us a quick peek while we were firing up the grill.

That's some up close and personal nature right there.

It's awesome and horrifying. Mine was on a very narrow mountain trail.

I was surprised how easily the bear climbed up the steep rocks and walked around us. At first I thought we were stuck on a collision course with it because it was steep up or down in either direction off the trail.

Other encounters were always more looking at something off in the distance and I could easily change course or wait it out. I've spent 100+ days in bighorn sheep habitat and yet to see one.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I remember riding through Custer State park and saw all the bison in the road and all the cars backed up waiting to get through. I just pulled off into a nearby parking lot and just watched from a safe distance and waited for them to spread out a bit.
I just don't understand how anyone doesn't understand that they are wild animals and they will attack if they feel threatened.

Could it be because they think of them like regular cattle? Not that cattle can't be dangerous.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
and she just had to be from Iowa of course. Give us all a bad name. Must be from Johnson County.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
It's awesome and horrifying. Mine was on a very narrow mountain trail.

I was surprised how easily the bear climbed up the steep rocks and walked around us. At first I thought we were stuck on a collision course with it because it was steep up or down in either direction off the trail.

Other encounters were always more looking at something off in the distance and I could easily change course or wait it out. I've spent 100+ days in bighorn sheep habitat and yet to see one.

Yeah, they are crazy fast climbers. We had happened to be at our zoo a few weeks before the trip and saw the bears zipping up trees. That memory flashed before me when we had our encounter.

Smoky Mountain Bear.jpg

Reactions: ISUKing

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you go through Custer in anything but a fully enclosed vehicle, you're asking for it. Getting off any vehicle is just remarkably stupid.