Woodworkers Thread

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
The neighbor wants me to replace his decking with composite. Any thoughts on Trex vs Menards? Surprisingly, Trex was actually cheaper and includes the installation hardware.

The only thing I noticed was that the menards composite boards are solid whereas the Trex have grooves in the bottom. I’m curious if that makes it feel bouncy depending on the joist width. I believe his is 16 on center. I’ve done decks but they’ve been primarily cedar or treated pine.
I built my deck couple years ago and installed Trex decking and have been happy with it.

My decking is with grooves but if I remember correctly Trex also has a more expensive version that’s solid (without grooves).

My joists are 12 on center so it’s not bouncy but I do have couple joists that are closer to 16 and they do have a bit of a bounce, but not too concerning. I guess this may depend on each person’s bounce tolerance level though.

My decking is lighter color and it still gets pretty hot but it’s SW facing so that makes a huge difference.

Reactions: AgronAlum

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
FYI, I installed about 575 sq ft. Trex Transcend Havena Gold about 5 yrs. ago on our deck. We've been very satisfied. Follow the installation instructions concerning joist spacing etc. We did a diagonal layout. Plan your layout so that you can minimize joints using different lengths. If your in the Ames area, the Story City lumber yard will deliver which is a big help especially if your pattern requires 16' lengths.

Reactions: AgronAlum

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Not a true wood working project recently my neighbor and I relocated a window in a MB and installed/created a feature wall. (Pictures too large to post…)

Reactions: NWICY

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
The same neighbor and I installed a zip line in our backyard for kids. The “birds nest” we built is pretty cool.

I would love to show off the 2 projects; anyone have any insight on how I can compress my pictures from iPhone so I can post them?

I’m IT illiterate!

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
The same neighbor and I installed a zip line in our backyard for kids. The “birds nest” we built is pretty cool.

I would love to show off the 2 projects; anyone have any insight on how I can compress my pictures from iPhone so I can post them?

I’m IT illiterate!
You can lower the photo quality on your phone's settings and take pictures
I find it's faster than compression with software.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

I’m IT illiterate!

If you’re on an iPhone hit this while attaching and switch it to medium or large. Whatever stops the error.

34D63890-2C94-427A-932B-BBFB60417B78.jpeg

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
On the same note, I’d rather not buy a 75 dollar Trex blade for one job. Any issues using a throw away blade? I have a factory Dewalt 32T that’s never been used I can spare. I’d rather not gum up the other blades I have.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
shopping

Has anyone used this product? I’ve got a deck that about half of the wood could maybe be replaced but im trying to get to hang on for a couple more summers.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Just a quick tip I don’t think I’ve ever shared here. Anyone with a decent compressor that wants a spray gun, see link below. You can shoot clear and stuff as is but it also works great for paint (which I need most) with a little modification. The plus, it’s 17 bucks.

I don’t do enough to need a $200+ paint sprayer but enough that I’m not gonna roll everything. You just drill out the tip to 2MM (5/64) and it shoots latex and enamel.

• Informative
Reactions: JHUNSY and NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Just a quick tip I don’t think I’ve ever shared here. Anyone with a decent compressor that wants a spray gun, see link below. You can shoot clear and stuff as is but it also works great for paint (which I need most) with a little modification. The plus, it’s 17 bucks.

I don’t do enough to need a $200+ paint sprayer but enough that I’m not gonna roll everything. You just drill out the tip to 2MM (5/64) and it shoots latex and enamel.

I’m using it for my current project. @Angie and @Mr Janny. I got your door and the paint will be done tomorrow. I can’t send pics through PMs.

1C261DBC-1541-4287-9594-B01C3A183A0D.jpeg

BA66F7E1-4A20-492E-9D3C-2FC0B7CB1579.jpeg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
shopping

Has anyone used this product? I’ve got a deck that about half of the wood could maybe be replaced but im trying to get to hang on for a couple more summers.
Bump.

Or any suggestions on a not crazy expensive stain to go over current stain (not wanting to strip off old) that would work on older boards with lots of….. character.

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Bump.

Or any suggestions on a not crazy expensive stain to go over current stain (not wanting to strip off old) that would work on older boards with lots of….. character.
This looks about as good as anything. I have a deck that was crap when we moved in 16 years ago. I used Thompsons waterseal once and it made it look nicer for a little while. Wood decks are such a pain in the a**

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Here is the “bird house” we made for the zip line.

Attachments

• IMG_4887.jpeg
    IMG_4887.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0410.jpeg
    IMG_0410.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: Yaz and NWICY