Woodworkers Thread

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Samesies, bout the exact same set up back in October. It cuts like a dream and I love it. The only downside I have found is that it shoots sawdust everywhere. More so than my previous rigid table at least. My next purchase will be a legitimate dust collection set up.

Good to know! I bought a dust deputy and a quiet shop vac for mine. My shop is in the third stall of our garage, so I need to keep the dust off our cars. I'm hoping that will work as I'm not ready to invest in a big dust collection system after dropping that much on the saw.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Samesies, bout the exact same set up back in October. It cuts like a dream and I love it. The only downside I have found is that it shoots sawdust everywhere. More so than my previous rigid table at least. My next purchase will be a legitimate dust collection set up.
Glad it’s not just me. I had a Rigid r4512. Switched to Sawstop last year and it’s a freaking dust machine. I run a 2ho dc and it fills the bags fast, but the whole garage is a dust bowl

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Good to know! I bought a dust deputy and a quiet shop vac for mine. My shop is in the third stall of our garage, so I need to keep the dust off our cars. I'm hoping that will work as I'm not ready to invest in a big dust collection system after dropping that much on the saw.
Another good thing to have in a garage shop is one of the ceiling mounted fine dust collectors. I run mine pretty much anytime I'm working in mine. They're $100 off for Black Friday at Acme Tool I think for the Jet ones.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
No I left out the off part of that. I posted that before my second cup of coffee for the day. That $300 price is the Black Friday price.
That's what I assumed. I was like damn, that price is unreal.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I’m kinda ghetto, I guess. I built my own with a $20 box fan, 2 furnace filters and some plywood for the box. Works awesome.....when I actually turn it on.
A wise man once said if it looks stupid but works it isn't stupid.

The only advantage I can see from the Jet one compared what it sounds like you built is the timer.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA

Yeah it's a tough pill to swallow after a big purchase like that. Shop vacs don't have nearly enough cfm for chip or dust removal from a saw like that though unfortunately.

I'm planning on going all in with ducting and blast gates and everything next year after some saving and planning.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
A wise man once said if it looks stupid but works it isn't stupid.

The only advantage I can see from the Jet one compared what it sounds like you built is the timer.

I have the WEN version. It works great, no idea if it is as good as the Jet one but I believe it was only $100.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
With Christmas coming up I think everyone should post one tool they bought in the last year that has been a game changer. I picked up the Milwaukee cordless trim router, I use it more than my full size router or table now.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
With Christmas coming up I think everyone should post one tool they bought in the last year that has been a game changer. I picked up the Milwaukee cordless trim router, I use it more than my full size router or table now.

Ive been eyeing the Makita battery powered router for awhile now. It gets annoying having to pull my big one out of the table. That and unless I pull the whole table apart, I’m stuck with the plunge base for everything. I think getting a decent table saw is too far up the list to pull the trigger on stuff like this though. Anyone have experience with Laguna?

I haven’t really bought anything of note since my Dewalt miter box last Christmas. I did more home reno type projects for people this year instead of woodworking so I have been filling those voids in the tool collection.

I think I am going to get that Wen air filtration system here by the end of the year. It’s just too dusty with the garage closed in the winter.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
This has been my best purchase this year. I had an old, bigger compressor with more power but it finally quit and I use this one much more as it is quiet, light and portable and easy to tote and use. It cycles much more but still does everything I need it to.

1607028070137.png

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Question: I’m looking at getting a new belt sander. I bought 3x18 one for like 30 bucks at Menards about 18 months ago when I started doing some woodworking. It’s fine, does the job. But I know there’s significantly better products out there that will decrease the amount of time I spend sanding and make the job easier. I use it mostly for 2x4s and 2x6s, although my next project I need to sand some 2x10s down for a table top.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Question: I’m looking at getting a new belt sander. I bought 3x18 one for like 30 bucks at Menards about 18 months ago when I started doing some woodworking. It’s fine, does the job. But I know there’s significantly better products out there that will decrease the amount of time I spend sanding and make the job easier. I use it mostly for 2x4s and 2x6s, although my next project I need to sand some 2x10s down for a table top.
Sounds like an excuse to buy a planer.

Reactions: CyJeans

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've actually been buying multi charging stations for my batteries because its also a good place to store them.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sounds like an excuse to buy a planer.
Well I kind of thinking the same thing but I don’t know enough yet about them to know what to buy. I have an old guy I know that may potentially just give me his but I doubt it cuts straight. Help me out there too!