Woodworkers Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Getting some work in on a couple projects after some emergency repairs on both my neighbors siding and the roof line on my house which was causing it to rain inside of my garage.

Laundry table getting mounted above a front load washer and dryer. Needs another coat of stain and the Arm R Seal recommended earlier in this thread. Supported with some MDF and a run of steel to stop it from sagging on the bottom side.

8CF7A243-36FA-4545-92D8-E6E9F383C09F.jpeg
0BB74236-2B18-4FAB-AC4C-187022711EFB.jpeg
A22833D0-9827-46FB-B1CA-07F2A88A45E8.jpeg

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Some wall shelving for someone’s house.

A4A23D98-AE23-4108-9CF6-ED163329F30F.jpeg
D7047428-3F71-4DE7-887E-61B9C7998AD3.jpeg

Some makeshift shiplap because the store bought shiplap was too thick to fit behind the faucet and sink of someone’s house.

54528B93-C7B3-4A84-B7BA-1F0E2EC7F818.jpeg

Reactions: Yaz

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
If any of you guys want to expand your hand tool collection the Lee Valley scratch and dent sale is going on today starting at 11AM. Normally this is a cyber Monday thing so I was a little caught off guard. The good stuff goes pretty quick but you can snag some really good deals on planes, saws and chisels normally. I got a shooting plane last year for like 20% off.

Reactions: Yaz

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Getting some work in on a couple projects after some emergency repairs on both my neighbors siding and the roof line on my house which was causing it to rain inside of my garage.

Laundry table getting mounted above a front load washer and dryer. Needs another coat of stain and the Arm R Seal recommended earlier in this thread. Supported with some MDF and a run of steel to stop it from sagging on the bottom side.

View attachment 77095
View attachment 77096
View attachment 77097
What kind of material did you use for the top? Are those 2x10? How did you join them? I’m looking at making a new simple kitchen table and need some ideas on similar joints. I have some ideas but am still looking.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
Does anyone have a good recommendation for picture frame (corner miter) clamps? Either fabricated or purchased?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
What kind of material did you use for the top? Are those 2x10? How did you join them? I’m looking at making a new simple kitchen table and need some ideas on similar joints. I have some ideas but am still looking.

Those are 1x oak boards with MDF on the bottom side. I used a 1x2 piece of trim along the outside to make it look like a 2 inch top. I used a piece of square steel tubing on the bottom to prevent sagging. I bought two pieces from menards to get that width and just edge glued them. I don’t own a biscuit or domino joiner for lining them up. A lot of the Pinterest DIYers use pocket screws now to edge join wood like that. It might work ok on 2 inch boards but doesn’t really work for one inchers the one time I’ve tried it. I’ve never had issues with glue and clamps.

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Those are 1x oak boards with MDF on the bottom side. I used a 1x2 piece of trim along the outside to make it look like a 2 inch top. I used a piece of square steel tubing on the bottom to prevent sagging. I bought two pieces from menards to get that width and just edge glued them. I don’t own a biscuit or domino joiner for lining them up. A lot of the Pinterest DIYers use pocket screws now to edge join wood like that. It might work ok on 2 inch boards but doesn’t really work for one inchers the one time I’ve tried it. I’ve never had issues with glue and clamps.
I have a kreg jig and was gonna join them that way. I have used it for 1x material but I agree, 2x is really more necessary and will work way better. I haven’t really done 1x material joints like that other than some smaller joints that won’t be near as long as your pic or what I am planning on joining. Does glue hold that joint together that’s that long?

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I have a kreg jig and was gonna join them that way. I have used it for 1x material but I agree, 2x is really more necessary and will work way better. I haven’t really done 1x material joints like that other than some smaller joints that won’t be near as long as your pic or what I am planning on joining. Does glue hold that joint together that’s that long?
I did a table top from 2x8 with the Kreg jig and it worked well. I also glued the runs but used the screws to pull everything together. Will try to get a photo (gave table away).

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I did a table top from 2x8 with the Kreg jig and it worked well. I also glued the runs but used the screws to pull everything together. Will try to get a photo (gave table away).
Would love to see it. I did one that I am going to replace with this new one. I did it about a yr and a half ago when I didn’t have my kreg jig yet and was the first project I’ve really ever tackled wood working now. I feel like I could do one much more quality now. Not that my kids who eat on it will notice but I will. I just used Menards pine and did it out of 2x4s for the frame and 2x6s for the top. But there big gaps now on the top I’m tired of scraping food out of or setting the dog on the top of the table and letter her lick it out (don’t judge me).

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Yep. I’ve had 0 issues with edge glued joints. The 2 inch joints are a lot easier to keep from bowing during glue up as well but it worked either way. Just have to take your time.

Reactions: JM4CY

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Some wall shelving for someone’s house.

I see DeWalt tools in the background so I'll ask you, and pose to the entire group: I'm working on upgrading my tools from Ryobi to DeWalt. I currently have a Ryobi impact driver that serves me fine. However, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade that to DeWalt or not. Is the $100-$200 purchase worth it? I do one large DIY project just about every year, so those hand tools get some work at my place.

Thoughts?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I see DeWalt tools in the background so I'll ask you, and pose to the entire group: I'm working on upgrading my tools from Ryobi to DeWalt. I currently have a Ryobi impact driver that serves me fine. However, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade that to DeWalt or not. Is the $100-$200 purchase worth it? I do one large DIY project just about every year, so those hand tools get some work at my place.

Thoughts?

That sander, my miter box and a couple misc hand tools are all I’ve got for Dewalt stuff. My battery operated tools are all Makita. I like the quality for the price and the large selection of battery operated tools Makita offers. Milwaukee is great but when I was shopping around it was almost double the cost. I’m sure Dewalt is fine too, I’ve just never owned any of their battery stuff.

Have there been any projects where you felt like your impact didn’t cut it? If you haven’t, I’d just ride out your Ryobi until it dies. If you aren’t limited by it, the only thing you’d gain is having one battery platform instead of two.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That sander, my miter box and a couple misc hand tools are all I’ve got for Dewalt stuff. My battery operated tools are all Makita. I like the quality for the price and the large selection of battery operated tools Makita offers. Milwaukee is great but when I was shopping around it was almost double the cost. I’m sure Dewalt is fine too, I’ve just never owned any of their battery stuff.

Have there been any projects where you felt like your impact didn’t cut it? If you haven’t, I’d just ride out your Ryobi until it dies. If you aren’t limited by it, the only thing you’d gain is having one battery platform instead of two.

yeah, that’s my thing. The ryobi does fine. I’m sure it’s underpowered compared to any of the nicer brands. I just used a Milwaukee driver at work this week and that thing was like butter compared to my ryobi. I’ll probably just ride it until it dies.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

I’ve read a lot of things about those Mikita batteries that would make me nervous. Apparently the thermal protection doesn’t reset and once you trip it the battery is toast.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I’ve read a lot of things about those Mikita batteries that would make me nervous. Apparently the thermal protection doesn’t reset and once you trip it the battery is toast.

I’ve never heard of that. I’ve had mine for maybe three years now with no battery issues. I’ve worked them pretty hard mixing stuff concrete, mortar and grout too. I mixed 14 bags of quickrete a half a bag at a time for our basketball hoop because my corded drill was fried.

On the other hand I’ve got some Ryobi 40V lawn stuff and went through 3 batteries in 3 years.

Last edited: