Women's Hoops Succession Plan: Future Coaching Possibilities

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.espn.com/womens-college...ll-succession-plan-got-next-uconn-baylor-more

Louisville's Jeff Walz replacement:
Outsider: Jennie Baranczyk, Drake head coach. She had Drake headed toward another NCAA tournament bid and had already eased past the program's seventh consecutive 20-win season. It's already an impressive résumé for someone still in her 30s. At some point, the financial security and competitive opportunity of a big job might tempt her away from her hometown. Maybe that is her alma mater when Lisa Bluder retires at Iowa. But Louisville would at least keep extended family within a day's drive.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Glaring oversight not to mention Fen.
Since they didn't, Jennie B should get the first call and hopefully only call. Jennie stays close to DSM and Bluder's expected replacement is Jan Jensen last I checked.

The only scenario where Billy should get any consideration is if Bill wins a conference title and/or becomes a multi year national title contender with the Class of 2020 (and beyond) recruits.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Glaring oversight not to mention Fen.

Mostly current powers which we really are not. We are sorta that next tier, usually good but not great as in deep NCAA runs, Final Fours or conferences dominating. List should probably been a little shorter based on the introduction with Notre Dame as the example.

I probably won't have included Florida State. A couple Elite Eights this decade but not a powerhouse kinda school IMHO. If they include FSU they probably should have thrown in ISU to. Some of schools, like Maryland and Brenda, were a bit premature. I would have stuck with peeps at least in 60-something and elite level schools.

DePaul sorta surprised me at first, had to think on it a minute. DePaul is not a great NCAA team but they have dominated their conference for the last seven years and their coach is pushing 70 b. Still, just not a team I think of that much. Maybe it's the lack of March success (some Sweet 16's but not more) to go with all of those conference titles. I was going to dis the Big East but RPI-wise they are similar to Big 12 right now with DePaul being their conference's poor man's Baylor. Still, I might only have included DP cause the dudes like pushing 70.

I get the Rutgers mention even though they haven't done jack in the last dozen years. Currently middle of the pack in the Big 10 but Stringer is in the Women's Hall of Fame and all and she must be about 80 by now. :rolleyes: Okay, I know she's not 80 but jeez she's been coaching a LONG time.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Since they didn't, Jennie B should get the first call and hopefully only call. Jennie stays close to DSM and Bluder's expected replacement is Jan Jensen last I checked.

The only scenario where Billy should get any consideration is if Bill wins a conference title and/or becomes a multi year national title contender with the Class of 2020 (and beyond) recruits.

My opinion is Jensen doesn't want to be a head coach. Drake was interested in her when they hired Lisa Stone, Amy Stephens, and Jennie. Several years back, she was mentioned for the job at Xavier. Just looking at her, I would say she is happy being an assistant.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My opinion is Jensen doesn't want to be a head coach. Drake was interested in her when they hired Lisa Stone, Amy Stephens, and Jennie. Several years back, she was mentioned for the job at Xavier. Just looking at her, I would say she is happy being an assistant.

She's like maybe only 8 years younger than Bluder so you might be right. By the time Bluder retires Jensen will be mid to late 50's.