Why does Iowa do the Florida gator chomp?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
If you watch a game of Iowa's they are always do the Florida Gator Chomp. No I am not sure what a HawkEYE has to do with Chomping like a Gator but my real question is where did it come from. Did they start it after playing Florida in a bowl game? I could see if they did it kind of like OU and A@M do the Longhorn upside down symbal but The HawkEYE's just look dumb doing it for some reason. Maybe because they don't have a chomping type mascot.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee
they do it after stopping a team on 3rd down. i guess it means there d chomped the other teams offense. either way they copy other schools in most things they do.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
It started in the 80's and refers to Pac-Man chomping up the little pellets.

Last edited:

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
My guess is that if Iowa Fans saw this thread. They would claim Florida stole the Gator Chomp from them. They are that dilusional.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
And like we don't copy Nebraska's tunnel walk now . . .

That is the only thing I think about when we do the camera on the team as they walk to field, complete with red carpet a la Nebraska.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel about the tunnel walk and it has no bearing on the Iowa "Gator Chomp".

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Sorry to break it to everyone, but ISU fans do the Gator chomp at basketball games. Why do our fans do it?

Reactions: clone34

tube1

Oct 19, 2006
And like we don't copy Nebraska's tunnel walk now . . .

That is the only thing I think about when we do the camera on the team as they walk to field, complete with red carpet a la Nebraska.

Sorry, but that is just how I feel about the tunnel walk and it has no bearing on the Iowa "Gator Chomp".

Inflatable helmets to run through...

Smoke when the team enters the field...

Jump Around...

Sweet Caroline...

I don't think the squaks have the corner on imitating other's traditions...

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
If you watch a game of Iowa's they are always do the Florida Gator Chomp. No I am not sure what a HawkEYE has to do with Chomping like a Gator but my real question is where did it come from. Did they start it after playing Florida in a bowl game? I could see if they did it kind of like OU and A@M do the Longhorn upside down symbal but The HawkEYE's just look dumb doing it for some reason. Maybe because they don't have a chomping type mascot.

I don't know...they use it pretty good. When they get a big 3rd down against you and your punt team is coming out and you're deep on your side of the field and the music is playing and the crowd is all chomping...it is pretty intimidating. I don't care if its copied, if we had something half as effective I'd use it even if every other school in the country did it first.

Reactions: Tedcyclone

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Vader attends Iowa games? Impressive....most impressive. Too bad we're adept at finding their thermal exhaust port that's no more than two meters wide.

You are getting all the rep I can give out today, my hat is off to you good sir

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Their fans do it because they are reaching for the money they wasted on KF.