Who do we Replace Iowa WIth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Would all these players be required to sign a waiver to play?

And if so, would you let your kid sign it? Or go even further, would you sign it if it required a parent signature?

I would, people hate hearing this but the risk for young people is almost zero.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm just glad we will avoid the Wednesday Sept. 16th afternoon presser in which Barta tells the local media that 2 Iowa walk-ons have tested positive, and there were 3 reported incidents of cyclone players coughing at hawkeyes.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I would, people hate hearing this but the risk for young people is almost zero.

This is false. Risk of death is low. Not risk of other effects and there are worries associated with some of these athletes because of things they have seen it do to hearts in some instances that athletes have an increased risk for. Also, lot of lineman are at higher risk. Not to mention they are starting to find lung damage in asymptomatic patients and also finding some people developing neurological issues.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
BYU had 5 games cancelled on their schedule beween the Big 10 and Pac 12 cancelling, so we could probably work something out with them.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
ISU currently has USD on 9/5. UNI is open.
ISU is currently open on 9/12. UNI is at Idaho State.

Are USD and/or Idaho State going to be told to pound sand just so UNI can get paid? They're both expecting revenue, too.

UNIs two games with Big Sky teams in the non-con aren't going to happen. UNI isn't spending 6 figures to go to Idaho and Weber State isn't spending 6 figures to come to Cedar Falls.

My best guess is that if there are non-con games that UNI plays in Ames on 9/12 for a $250 or $300k payout (half of the usual rate when UNI plays in Ames)

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
You're hilarious.

Here is my thing - I think conference only games with no fans is the absolute worst case scenario. We're going back to school in the fall in most places, on campus. We're going back to school in most places in some capacity in elementary/middle/high school. I went to PetSmart yesterday and I was the only person in there wearing a mask and people were petting each other's dogs and all kinds of stuff.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but this thing isn't going away and it isn't getting better, and losing college sports (of which probably 25% of the population gives any sort of crap about) isn't going to be a motivating factor.

Thats one thing that doesn’t come through very well in our circle here. The vast vast majority don’t give a flying **** about sports in general. Wittle that down even further to college sports and there’s even less, take that down another notch to one specific college sport and the outrage and outcry when they cancel the season won’t be nearly as big as people think.

The real issue coming up is K-12 school in the fall. Absolute minefield.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
Thats one thing that doesn’t come through very well in our circle here. The vast vast majority don’t give a flying **** about sports in general. Wittle that down even further to college sports and there’s even less, take that down another notch to one specific college sport and the outrage and outcry when they cancel the season won’t be nearly as big as people think.

The real issue coming up is K-12 school in the fall. Absolute minefield.

Last point as stated. You have two wage earners who must work. You have young school age children who cannot do distance learning on their own. Tell me how that works. We are in no way fearful of sending our kids to school. Mine planted.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I have seen pictures of schools in SK and at each desk they have a three sided plastic shields up on the desks. This is the kind of thing US schools should be doing to classrooms but of course the states and fed won't give them money to do these things or extra money to pay people to do more deep cleaning every day. They need money for extra masks to give students etc. And I think they should have it set up so the classes are livestreamed so if it is possible for a student to stay home because a parent is home etc they should be encouraged to to make more room in classes.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
You're hilarious.

Here is my thing - I think conference only games with no fans is the absolute worst case scenario. We're going back to school in the fall in most places, on campus. We're going back to school in most places in some capacity in elementary/middle/high school. I went to PetSmart yesterday and I was the only person in there wearing a mask and people were petting each other's dogs and all kinds of stuff.

I don't mean to be a pessimist but this thing isn't going away and it isn't getting better, and losing college sports (of which probably 25% of the population gives any sort of crap about) isn't going to be a motivating factor.

I was just gonna quote this for later but COVID related threads have a habit of disappearing because some people can't limit the discussion to just the virus itself so while I don't think either of us have posted anything caveworthy, I'm sure someone else will. So instead I screenshotted it to have for later posting.

414udRp.png

Anyway, to respond though, I think sports are a huge motivating factor. Remember that the NBA shutting down happened and then a day later Hoiberg collapsed while courtside and that more than anything else is why we shut down in March. Conference only games with no fans isn't the worst case scenario. Conference only games with no fans is the best case scenario.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Last point as stated. You have two wage earners who must work. You have young school age children who cannot do distance learning on their own. Tell me how that works. We are in no way fearful of sending our kids to school. Mine planted.

Again the bigger question to me is how you do distance learning with teachers who have their own kids at home due to this. It's an impossible situation. That's what I mean when I say we're going back to school, we're going back to college, and it's utterly absurd to me to say that we can't let young kids play football (which they want to do) when their bodies are being watched at a level that is borderline creepy already before COVID. I get no fans, that actually does make sense to me. I'm not even sure still If I'd go or not. I'm preparing as if I'm not going but I still think this is way too soon IMO.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I have seen pictures of schools in SK and at each desk they have a three sided plastic shields up on the desks. This is the kind of thing US schools should be doing to classrooms but of course the states and fed won't give them money to do these things or extra money to pay people to do more deep cleaning every day. They need money for extra masks to give students etc. And I think they should have it set up so the classes are livestreamed so if it is possible for a student to stay home because a parent is home etc they should be encouraged to to make more room in classes.

I think a cool thing to do would be a “School New Deal”. Starts with scholarships/funding for people that go for education. Then job creation to get people back to work retrofitting the schools and then the add’l staff that will need to be available for cleaning, etc. Have district specific testing sites where only students and staff can go for tests. Train non-medical professionals to run those sites.

Reactions: Halincandenza

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Anyway, to respond though, I think sports are a huge motivating factor. Remember that the NBA shutting down happened and then a day later Hoiberg collapsed while courtside and that more than anything else is why we shut down in March. Conference only games with no fans isn't the worst case scenario. Conference only games with no fans is the best case scenario.

I will just agree to disagree. If as you say, sports were a huge motivating factor, we would have seen what happened with March madness and Hoiberg and Rudy Gobert and actually taken this seriously. However, we did the opposite. We saw what can happen and people bitched about not being able to get haircuts.

I would have though sports, movies, live concerts, baconfest, going to school, and basically anything else would have been a big motivating factor. None of those things in and of themselves have been enough, and as compared with the absolute crapshow that not going to school in the fall would be, ISU football isn't even a blip on the radar.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Their choice to be there. Taking all precautions as school mandates.

Tell me how it works to protect vulnerable staff.

And you can't say 'They just need to stay home and get a substitute. Their choice.'

That's not how it works.

Also the plan to protect vulnerable coaches.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think a cool thing to do would be a “School New Deal”. Starts with scholarships/funding for people that go for education. Then job creation to get people back to work retrofitting the schools and then the add’l staff that will need to be available for cleaning, etc. Have district specific testing sites where only students and staff can go for tests. Train non-medical professionals to run those sites.

Listened to Pod Save America yesterday and they were talking about how they should have been offering all kinds of opportunities for college students taking a gap year to get an exception and work for Teach for America for a year to help prop up the staff needed for K-12 education. Would have been a great opportunity but we've spent the last 6 months twiddling our thumbs at the national level and making fun of people for wearing masks instead of following up on great ideas like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron