Which entrée do you order?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Willemstad city center is pretty close, and it has a ton of shopping, restaurants and night life. And there are tons of the typical snorkeling and sailing excursions. We were going to do a day trip to Klein Curacao, which is this tiny little beach island nearby, but ended up not doing it. You can also do the Blue Curacao distillery tour which is supposed to be worth it. Also plenty of golf if that's your thing.
We spent a night at a different hotel closer to the center of the city and it was fine, but Baose is the kind of place you won't want to leave once you get there.
@clone4life82 - I am super intense about trip planning, so let me know if you ever want info. There is the arguably best scuba diving in the Caribbean in Curacao and nearby Bonaire, with Curacao having a great sunken ship. The Blue Room is amazing, a hidden cave aglow because of the sea. Klein Curacao is a deserted island with great exploration and snorkeling, there are flamingo nests and dolphins. I LOVED snorkeling there.

Willemstad has a UNESCO site, there is the oldest synogo in the Caribbean, museums. Sugar cane plantations you can tour, as well as old abandoned ones. In the jungle, you can hunt down an old plane that crashed. We had wanted to do a lot of these things, but COVID shut down the island when we were there, so we were somewhat stuck at Baoase - and ended up just loving SITTING for once.

Baoase is great, though. It is definitely a save-and-splurge, D-Wade and Gabrielle Union go there, among others. You can spend anywhere from a reasonable amount to renting your own private island. The chef there is from Michelin restaurants, and their food is always in the best of the Caribbean lists.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
A bone-in Ribeye is the best steak I've ever had. I don't know if it was the steak, or the way it was prepared, but it was delicious and bigger than my head. It was even good the next day because there was no way I could finish the whole thing in one sitting. Next best steak I've ever had was a N'awlins style ribeye, served on a bed of spaghetti with a crab, shrimp and crawdad cream sauce poured over the whole shebang.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Just an FYI Antigua was awesome, just a touch below St. Lucia, but still awesome. There was a family there from Solon that we met. I met a guy who played middle LB at Miss St. around the same time I was playing at ISU. Met a nice couple from WV.

These All-Inclusives make everything so easy. They had snorkeling trips included with your package where they would that you out to a reef and let you snorkel around for 30 minutes. Antigua has a ton of reefs, in fact ships aren't able to go around the northside of the island because there are so many. One excursion we took to see giant tortoises they had to zig zag the speed boat through them.

We ended up booking Grenada for Thanksgiving week 2024, so let the count down begin.

And yes I pretty much wear ISU stuff everywhere (t-shirts, swim trunks, and tattoo) so I got lots of comments after we beat UNC.

Last edited: