When does the first round drought end?

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I really hoped that Butler or Montgomery would sneak into the first round. All it takes is for one team to love a prospect and both are good enough to have garnered a realistic shot at a first round selection.

Alas, the steak continues while the TOE gets all sorts of praise for TJ and Fant (good for the individual guys but vomit.)

We have several players either on the roster or in upcoming recruiting classes that have a shot to excel on Sundays but do we have a first rounder in the bunch?

Downing would my prediction based upon promise and usual first round focus on the trenches and QBs. Purdy has potential but my guess is he is a day two guy more based upon competition from the likes Lawrence and Fields than a slight on Purdy.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
QB's and pass rushers have the best bet so unless Purdy, JaQuan Bailey, or Lima really improve next year it could still be awhile.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I really hoped that Butler or Montgomery would sneak into the first round. All it takes is for one team to love a prospect and both are good enough to have garnered a realistic shot at a first round selection.

Alas, the steak continues while the TOE gets all sorts of praise for TJ and Fant (good for the individual guys but vomit.)

We have several players either on the roster or in upcoming recruiting classes that have a shot to excel on Sundays but do we have a first rounder in the bunch?

Downing would my prediction based upon promise and usual first round focus on the trenches and QBs. Purdy has potential but my guess is he is a day two guy more based upon competition from the likes Lawrence and Fields than a slight on Purdy.

Uwazurike or Lima? Maybe Bailey if he has a big senior year. Kind of depends on team needs and how deep those position groups are.

KHoing07

Jun 20, 2018
Purdy still has at least 2 years left I think he can do it especially if the other top QBs leave early

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
Yeah Mike Rose was the first guy I thought of. Enyi also a possibility. Purdy an outside shot but I would say not likely.

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I would be more impressed if we get multiple guys drafted instead of just one stud in the 1st one time. Remember football is a team game.

I think it depends upon when those multiple guys get drafted. Presuming we always have at least a handful of guys that are camp worthy, two or three late day three guys vs. one first rounder - give me the first rounder. If we CONSISTENTLY produce three to four drafted guys a year with at least one day two guy that slides into a mock first, I agree.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyfan21

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
With DBs and safeties getting more NFL love, maybe Eisworth could sneak into the first round if he has a solid showing and we do something special. He at least has the measurables the NFL wants and he was a first teamer.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and Allikat

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Isn’t Eisworth being mentioned as a possible first rounder? Thought I saw that somewhere.

Reactions: Dandy