When did you become a Cyclone?

Naddafinga

Aug 14, 2013
IA
My parents took me to my 1st game as a kid and this was the guy I remember being "our guy".
I still remember my dad getting us fired up about going to see him play.
That's where it all started for me.

636314223388188466-Crutchfield-Dwayne8.jpg

North College Hill grad Dwayne Crutchfield starred for the Cyclones in the early 80’s before embarking on an NFL career. (Photo: Thanks to Iowa State University)

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Lafester Rhodes game, I think. It was either the Lafester game or another Cy-Hawk game. I know for sure Jeff Grayer was still there. I was eight years old and I watched the second half at my great-grandmother's house in southwest Iowa.

Cemented in the 90s with the Hoiberg years. We'd play on a Nerf hoop with some balled up socks during the games, and I'd always pretend to be Julius Michalik.

Lost interest in the mid 2000s after Eustachy and McCarney left, and got back on board right around the time Rhoads and Hoiberg arrived.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
When Iowa State played Michigan State in the Elite 8.

I moved to Des Moines from Michigan when I was 13, and was a big MSU fan growing up. My Dad was an ISU alum, and I started rooting for clones when we moved. A few years later, I was still a big MSU fan, but when they played each other in 2000 in the tourney my allegiances had switched. I found myself shouting at the refs in the end, kind of a perfect way to be born into cyclone fandom if I'm being honest. Thats when I knew.

Now MSU makes me kind of ill, along with Baylor and PSU.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
1997 when I visited a buddy that was going there. It was my first time being at a big university. We partied, had fun, tailgated but didn’t make it into the game. Been going back since and actually making it to the games but I was totally on board when we beat NU in 02! I graduated from college in 01 and worked in Coralville for a year. All the Hawk stuff was overkill for me. That also helped!

Last edited:

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
Born into a Cyclone family so it was Cyclones or nothing from day one. My first Cyclone memory was when I wanted to see Cato at one of those summer traveling events the MBB program used to have. He wasn't there and 4 year old 101 was bummed. Got to meet Dedric and several others though so that was cool. Probably the first game I actually remember was the 4 OT game at Mizzou in like '01 or 02'. That was a heartbreaker.

Reactions: Spanky and Cyched

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Born into a Cyclone family so it was Cyclones or nothing from day one. My first Cyclone memory was when I wanted to see Cato at one of those summer travelling events the MBB program used to have. He wasn't there and 4 year old 101 was bummed. Got to meet Dedric and several others though so that was cool. Probably the first game I actually remember was the 4 OT game at Mizzou in like '01 or 02'. That was a heartbreaker.

That game was brutal. Clarence Gilbert is forever on my irrational hatred list.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Freshman year of college (2002). Seneca and Hilton Magic did it for me.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
1985 when I moved to Nevada. We got two free tickets to every home football and basketball game, as my stepfather did stats for Iowa State/Big 8. Not everyone can say the became an ISU Football fan during the Criner/Walden eras.... However, it was rather easy to become a Cyclone Basketball fan under Johnny!!!!

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Watching Tim Floyd's basketball teams on a grainy WOI signal. First football game I went to was Ball State in 98 I think.

Largely had season tickets for football since 2003, outside of a couple seasons where I worked weekends..

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
1984 when I started school.

Was completely bought in watching Jeff Braswell almost lead us to an upset of #2 Oklahoma in the first game ever played under lights at JTS.

Was blessed to be a part of the beginning of Hilton Magic with Johnny Orr, Barry Stevens, Grayer, Hornacek, etc.

Help Support Us

Become a patron