WBB: ISU @ South Dakota State 2pm

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Well, if we are going to miss watching a game this might be a good for it. :rolleyes:

Hope things work better in ESPN world on Wednesday when we open up against TCU. Weird season, we usually have about 8 creampuff give-me's in NC before Big 12 but not this year, of course, being 2020 and all

Going to have to get things going on Wednesday. TCU gave us one of our home losses last year and also beat us in Fort Worth. Game will count for reals.
For whatever it's worth. TCU played the same team today (UCA) that Baylor played Wednesday. Baylor won by 45 and played a very sloppy offensive game. TCU won by 17. I think TCU & ISU are both very similar this year as they both start a lot of new players. Should be a good match up. Joens will probably give ISU the edge. 35 points maybe??

• Informative
Reactions: BoxsterCy

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
From what I ascertained, the freshmen played like they were just that. Lots of errant shots, poor defense all the way around. Seemed to rush things. Outside of Ashley there wasn’t much help. This team shouldn’t be ranked right now. Massive improvement will be required to stay on the court with South Carolina. Iowa will eat them up too at this stage. The development curve for the frosh is steep and they need to handle it or else.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclone13 and 67CY

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
From what I ascertained, the freshmen played like they were just that. Lots of errant shots, poor defense all the way around. Seemed to rush things. Outside of Ashley there wasn’t much help. This team shouldn’t be ranked right now. Massive improvement will be required to stay on the court with South Carolina. Iowa will eat them up too at this stage. The development curve for the frosh is steep and they need to handle it or else.
God I hope not. We return a ton of experience, and Iowa lost three starters, including Doyle and Meyer. The pressure is on our returning players to be better than last year; it's not fair to depend on freshman to help a lot immediately.
Sick of losing to Iowa.

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Was able to get the game about 5 min. into the first quarter on MC22 after got messages on ESPN3. It is a good game to miss. We could not hit and they at times (whenever we made a run) could not miss. Their grad transfer was the deciding factor in the game. S had 20 points and hit shots to stop our runs.

Added: Does anyone recognize the guy on the bench with the long hair? Did Carp go 60's hair style on us?

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
God I hope not. We return a ton of experience, and Iowa lost three starters, including Doyle and Meyer. The pressure is on our returning players to be better than last year; it's not fair to depend on freshman to help a lot immediately.
Sick of losing to Iowa.

Haven't won there for a awhile, on a six game losing streak there and they have won 7 of last 10 here and there. We are essentially only playing two of last years players and Maggie is out so it doesn't seem we really have an edge on experience. We do have Joens though. That might been enough with others stepping up with experience later but am a little skeptical on early season. Good news is we do always seem to improve as season marches on. Hopefully we will get a full uninterrupted season and find out. Getting the season in is iffy IMHO, hoping for the best.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Haven't won there for a awhile, on a six game losing streak there and they have won 7 of last 10 here and there. We are essentially only playing two of last years players and Maggie is out so it doesn't seem we really have an edge on experience. We do have Joens though. That might been enough with others stepping up with experience later but am a little skeptical on early season.
You're referring to Joens and Scott; yet Rae Johnson is a returning starter, Wise is a senior, Kane is in her third year with the program, and Frederick should be pushing for more minutes after last year.
Just saying that depending on freshman to instantly win games when we have experienced players back is unreasonable IMO.
Iowa's beaten us what - 4 years in a row? Just saying I'm tired of it, and they lost a great player in Doyle and a very good player in Meyer, so this year should hopefully break that streak.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Billy and Carp have both let their hair grow out and have long hair.

Amateurs. ;)

I haven't had a haircut since beginning of February. It's Dana House 1972 long again. :oops:

Probably should have sneaked in for a cut when covid things settled down some up here but that's not the situation now by a long shot.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
You're referring to Joens and Scott; yet Rae Johnson is a returning starter, Wise is a senior, Kane is in her third year with the program, and Frederick should be pushing for more minutes after last year.
Just saying that depending on freshman to instantly win games when we have experienced players back is unreasonable IMO.
Iowa's beaten us what - 4 years in a row? Just saying I'm tired of it, and they lost a great player in Doyle and a very good player in Meyer, so this year should hopefully break that streak.

Starting three freshman is a bit peculiar. I don't know, maybe they think the season is so likely to be Covid disrupted that they are just building experience for 2021. Wise was sort of a past golden girl for the coach, started from the get go as a freshman. By all accounts she is supposed to be our best defensive player. Johnson isn't going to play much. If Wise is/was a golden girl, Johnson has always been one of coaches in the doghouse no slack given gals. Sort of Emily Durr II. With that said I do get the minutes for Ryan as the PG., just not three freshman in at the same time for extended minutes together.

Throw in fanless Hilton and a piece of our usual mystique is lessened. Going to be a weird year but it's a year I likely need the entertainment distraction more than ever. :eek:

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Starting three freshman is a bit peculiar. I don't know, maybe they think the season is so likely to be Covid disrupted that they are just building experience for 2021. Wise was sort of a past golden girl for the coach, started from the get go as a freshman. By all accounts she is supposed to be our best defensive player. Johnson isn't going to play much. If Wise is/was a golden girl, Johnson has always been one of coaches in the doghouse no slack given gals. Sort of Emily Durr II. With that said I do get the minutes for Ryan as the PG., just not three freshman in at the same time for extended minutes together.
I agree, if you want to win, start three seniors, not three freshmen. I get it at Hilton against an easier opponent, but I don’t understand playing your best PG and one of your best shooters 10 minutes. I can only imagine how that undermines Scott. Rae has been tops in +/~ both games. Maddie needs minutes to get her confidence back.

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
Well, we are not the coaches and I trust that they have a plan for the long game.

With a conference game coming up it will be interesting to see if Bill goes for the win and plays Madison and Rae more or goes for more frosh experience building. I found it interesting that Ashley was smiling after fouling out as if this was a good scrimmage.

The future looks bright.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I agree, if you want to win, start three seniors, not three freshmen. I get it at Hilton against an easier opponent, but I don’t understand playing your best PG and one of your best shooters 10 minutes. I can only imagine how that undermines Scott. Rae has been tops in +/~ both games. Maddie needs minutes to get her confidence back.

The coaches see what everyone can contribute in practice every day so I trust them. Maddie has not been the same since her migraines last year. Rae does not look like she came back from the summer in great shape (looks like she is considerably heavier than last year). If you have freshman busting their rears and seniors not getting it done in practice (speculation on my part) I can see the young ones getting the nod.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
While I always say it's not who starts but who finishes, it will be interesting to see who starts the conference game.
Maybe starting three freshmen was to get them grown up earlier.

The current group of upperclassmen are used to deferring to Bridget and then Ashley for points. Perhaps the freshmen got the starts because they are bolder in putting up shots.

Maybe he is pushing the seniors to be leaders by bringing two of them off the bench. Jaronski skipping out is hurting us inside. Ideally I would think at least Wise would be part of the best rotation with Ashley, Scott, Donarski, and Ryan.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
In addition to our short comings, I think South Dakota State is a pretty good basketball team and further along at this point in the season than ISU.

The South Dakota teams are the Drake and Mizzu State of the Summit League and are quality teams for sure. Omaha was 10th by a ways.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My notes from this game:
#1: I'm glad I didn't watch live.
#2: I'm not going to watch the replay.

No need to think about #2, it's not up as a replay, completing the streaming fuckup for that game. South Dakota vs South Carolina is. That surprised me since it was one of those dumb tournament FloHoops subscription games. Might give that a quick look so see what happened in that 1st half.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The best thing for this team would be to fall completely out of the rankings. There is a lot to work on and the sooner Bill is back the better. The hype train was obviously much different that early reality.