***WBB: CYCLONE 2023 Recruiting Thread***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Did MN get anyone out of this year's high school class?

Six in-state recruits (think a couple of walk-ons?) , a good recruiting class for the Gophers. Mara Braun ESPN #28, Amaya Battle ESPN #39, Mallory Heyer ESPN #55.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Six in-state recruits (think a couple of walk-ons?) , a good recruiting class for the Gophers. Mara Braun ESPN #28, Amaya Battle ESPN #39, Mallory Heyer ESPN #55.
I vaguely remembered looking into Minnesota's ability (or lack thereof) to keep in-state players at home in recent years. A message board search confirmed it -- see the below link. 2022 is definitely the year they broke that trend.

(Tessa is missing from the post. I don't think I excluded her because she was uncommitted at the time -- I think it was because her high school doesn't have "(MN)" listed after it on the ESPN page so I overlooked her.)

907CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 30, 2010
Northern Polk County
With a history of MN having trouble getting and keeping local recruits, that is a good class.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Joens is signing her NLI at 2:30 today per West Liberty Athletics Twitter.
I really thought this might change after Aubrey left for lack of playing time. Obviously CBF knows what he's about, but I'm dubious on this one.

ZLaner

Sep 23, 2022
I really thought this might change after Aubrey left for lack of playing time. Obviously CBF knows what he's about, but I'm dubious on this one.
To be fair, I'm not sure the only reason she left was lack of playing time...

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Aubrey was in a tough spot at ISU, she was always going to play behind Lexi and compete with MEM for minutes too. Throw in Denae being back and I'm sure she felt like her minutes were going to be less.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Aubrey was in a tough spot at ISU, she was always going to play behind Lexi and compete with MEM for minutes too. Throw in Denae being back and I'm sure she felt like her minutes were going to be less.
It's my understanding that this was 100% the issue. We have Lexi, Denae, Ny, Maggie, Ashley all in that 2-4 position and all ahead of Aubrey on the depth chart. Three of those five are in Aubrey's recruiting class or younger, and only one (Ashley) is definitely gone after this season.

When Aubrey announced she was entering the portal, the first person she thanked was CBF. I don't think there's any animosity on either side, although I'm sure CBF would have preferred somewhere outside the Big 12.

Reactions: acoustimac

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
To be fair, I'm not sure the only reason she left was lack of playing time...
I spoke to her mother for an hour this summer.
She said ISU wanted her to “just be a shooter,”
Run to the corner and shoot threes.
She said she wanted to me more of a player than that.

I did not sense any hard feelings.
This is what her mother said.
I think playing time, as well as her role , we’re factors.

Reactions: Royalclone

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It's my understanding that this was 100% the issue. We have Lexi, Denae, Ny, Maggie, Ashley all in that 2-4 position and all ahead of Aubrey on the depth chart. Three of those five are in Aubrey's recruiting class or younger, and only one (Ashley) is definitely gone after this season.

When Aubrey announced she was entering the portal, the first person she thanked was CBF. I don't think there's any animosity on either side, although I'm sure CBF would have preferred somewhere outside the Big 12.
I don't blame her for wanting more playing time but I thought there were better places where she could have gone, i don't see her getting that much playing time at OU