Walter Nickel

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
I was looking at the all time rankings after JJ Kohl's ratings boost and saw Walter Nickel sitting at number 8. I didn't remember much about him as I didn't follow recruiting at the time, and when I looked him up, I found that he passed away less than a year ago. I don't remember reading about it here, and thought it was worth sharing. He went on to become a doctor in the Navy, and appears to have had a big but young family at the time of his passing.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I was looking at the all time rankings after JJ Kohl's ratings boost and saw Walter Nickel sitting at number 8. I didn't remember much about him as I didn't follow recruiting at the time, and when I looked him up, I found that he passed away less than a year ago. I don't remember reading about it here, and thought it was worth sharing. He went on to become a doctor in the Navy, and appears to have had a big but young family at the time of his passing.

Wow; add another name to the list of “players passed away from the Mac era” chapter in Chris’s book.

I remember him, had no idea he passed.

RIP

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

Very sad to lose your life so young.

Mar 21, 2021
Sounds like Dr. Nickel may have been subject to a Court Martial proceeding. Perhaps a reason why not much heard of his having passed on.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
That's sad. He was a good tight end. My main memory of him is when he was ruled down by touching his wrist on the ground during our bowl game vs pre-Big 12 TCU.

Reactions: isutrevman

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Sounds like Dr. Nickel may have been subject to a Court Martial proceeding. Perhaps a reason why not much heard of his having passed on.
Please provide link to your claim. I’m interested in reading more…

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I think it was Nickel and Ben Barkema at TE on those mid-2000s teams.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
That's sad. He was a good tight end. My main memory of him is when he was ruled down by touching his wrist on the ground during our bowl game vs pre-Big 12 TCU.
damn, he played that long ago? **** i'm getting old.

I was at that game. What I remember is Berryman being an absolute beast that game, then in a pivotal play (I think it was 4th down and short) near the very end of the game TCU used his aggressiveness against him. sucked him in on a play fake and QB rolled around for the easy 1st down to seal the game.

my blackout wasted friend also jumped in someone elses limousine after the game. took a few long minutes before they booted her ass out.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I've been a season ticket holder since the 1st Mac season and for some reason I can't remember that name.
Rest in Peace Walter.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
So we thinking suicide? Probably was facing time and possible CTE?
He was sentenced to 7 months, with over 3 months credited prior to sentencing. No idea on cause of death, but it's not far fetched to think suicide, especially considering he was very likely going to lose his medical license.