Waco (Netflix)

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Just started this on Netflix. I've only learned about this through documentaries, so this should be pretty captivating. So far it's doing a good job grabbing my attention.

Reactions: isutrevman

TrianglePlace

May 13, 2020
Just started this on Netflix. I've only learned about this through documentaries, so this should be pretty captivating. So far it's doing a good job grabbing my attention.

I watched all 6 episodes in about a 3 night span a few weeks ago. I vaguely remember Waco and Ruby Ridge happening when I was younger.

I thought the Waco series on Netflix was really good.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

It's watchable. It represents a typical weekend for people associated with Baylor...

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I watched all 6 episodes in about a 3 night span a few weeks ago. I vaguely remember Waco and Ruby Ridge happening when I was younger.

I thought the Waco series on Netflix was really good.

Watching the first part on Ruby Ridge in the first episode. It seems random to include that, but also important to understand how those two incidents were intertwined.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I enjoyed it. I was born in 88 so a little young to comprehend this when it happened. I remember OKC bombing a bit.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am still fascinated by the fact David Koresh played guitar in a metal cover band. The miniseries seems to have a scene to portray this oddity --

koresh_rockinout_1920_465_262_int.jpg

Reactions: isutrevman

Chizit

Dec 21, 2008
Section L, Row 11
I know there is some beef on how they portray Koresh in it, but my god Taylor Kitsch killed that role. Really good acting all around.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Id never really heard much about Ruby Ridge before, crazy how much of a tie there is to western Iowa.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I thought it was great. I'd forgotten the (long) duration of it all but vividly remember the burning building.

IIRC, It was the combination of Waco & Ruby Ridge that set Tim McVeigh off. Not a flattering portrayal of the FBI at all. The cast is excellent.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
I thought it was great. I'd forgotten the (long) duration of it all but vividly remember the burning building.

IIRC, It was the combination of Waco & Ruby Ridge that set Tim McVeigh off. Not a flattering portrayal of the FBI at all. The cast is excellent.

Not necessarily responding to you, but just including this link for the young folks who may not remember that Tim McVeigh was a child-murdering psychopath...

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-mar-29-mn-44250-story.html

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
It's a fantastic series. When I went to Waco for the Iowa State game last year I made sure to make a trip out to Mt Carmel and see the memorials, and remains of buildings. There was a really nice lady from the Branch Davidians there who was great about showing me around, explaining where things were and where things happened. It was fascinating and I highly recommend it. Especially if you find the series and the historical events interesting.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
A month ago the better half and I hit a good run of TV shows - this was on that list.

It portrayed the Davidians very positively, probably more so than was actually the case. I watched a different documentary that portrayed them a bit more radically, but it didn't answer the question of....

Why did the authorities attack in the first place? I haven't seen a decent reason for that yet. Anything proposed did not require anywhere near the amount of force used.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
A month ago the better half and I hit a good run of TV shows - this was on that list.

It portrayed the Davidians very positively, probably more so than was actually the case. I watched a different documentary that portrayed them a bit more radically, but it didn't answer the question of....

Why did the authorities attack in the first place? I haven't seen a decent reason for that yet. Anything proposed did not require anywhere near the amount of force used.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/cri...hs-surrounding-the-1993-branch-davidian-raid/

20eyes

May 15, 2020

Why did the authorities attack in there in the first place? I haven't seen a decent reason for that yet. Anything proposed did not require anywhere near the amount of force used.

IIRC correctly it was the ATFs "failure" at Ruby Ridge which put them in a position of needing a "win"...at least that's how the series portrayed the events. The "win" would come from rescuing the child brides and children trapped on the Branch Davidian compound not to mention confiscating all the weapons stored there.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

Its all pretty well put together in a Netflix documentary, Oklahoma City

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I watched it twice on Netflix. Both times got me pretty emotional at the end.

Help Support Us

Become a patron