VW Jetta GL

smittyclone

Jul 9, 2009
We went with a private owner Mazda Tribute. Even though at first my daughter said what do a bunch of football fans know about cars. Showed her the responses and she didn't ask again.

Thanks for your input.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Wow that's quite a 180. How do you get from a Jetta to a Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Good job of staying away from the VW. The same goes for Audi. Stay the **** away. That is, unless you enjoy spending lots and lots of your hard earned money on fixing them.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
No experience w/ VW Jetta, but we had a VW Passat '03. Many warranty claims, and the same oil leak the local dealer fixed several times. We traded right before warranty was up, so never took a chance on the oil leak again. The car was very nice and functional, and I understand more warranty claims based on more luxury features, more complicated German design compared to Toyota or Honda.

I have two friends with Passats. Same stories. A lot of problems and difficult to get fixed the first time. Of course that could have something do to with Lithia too.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
we had a VW Passat '03. Many warranty claims, and the same oil leak the local dealer fixed several times. We traded right before warranty was up, so never took a chance on the oil leak again. The car was very nice and functional, and I understand more warranty claims based on more luxury features, more complicated German design compared to Toyota or Honda.

My wife is interested in ridding herself of the '03 minivan and getting into a mid-size sedan. She noticed a 2008 Passat on a used car lot in Iowa City and dragged me over for a look one Sunday afternoon. It only had 4000 miles and looked pristine. I pulled it up on the dealer website and they had a link to the carfax. I couldn't actually see it without paying, but it said "14 entries"!

That was enough to scare me off; a one-year old car with 4000 miles and 14 maintenance entries of some kind. Maybe wildcat or somebody else can correct me if I mistakenly misinterpretted that data; I really don't know what information they capture on those documents...

She's now set her cap on a new Nissan Altima...

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
My wife is interested in ridding herself of the '03 minivan and getting into a mid-size sedan. She noticed a 2008 Passat on a used car lot in Iowa City and dragged me over for a look one Sunday afternoon. It only had 4000 miles and looked pristine. I pulled it up on the dealer website and they had a link to the carfax. I couldn't actually see it without paying, but it said "14 entries"!

That was enough to scare me off; a one-year old car with 4000 miles and 14 maintenance entries of some kind. Maybe wildcat or somebody else can correct me if I mistakenly misinterpretted that data; I really don't know what information they capture on those documents...

She's now set her cap on a new Nissan Altima...

Was it this one?

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on WVWAK73C38P004432

Eight of those records were before the car was even registered.

In that price range I would seriously consider the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, or the Jetta TDI. I would probably choose the TDI over the other 2 unless you need the extra room that the Altima and Accord provide.

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Was it this one?

CARFAX Vehicle History Report on WVWAK73C38P004432

Eight of those records were before the car was even registered.

In that price range I would seriously consider the Honda Accord, Nissan Altima, or the Jetta TDI. I would probably choose the TDI over the other 2 unless you need the extra room that the Altima and Accord provide.

That's the one. I had called the dealer and inquired about the Carfax; he indicated he'd make it available on-line but I had other things come up last week that prohibited me from getting back to it. :sad:

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Go Corolla. Jetta's are very expensive to repair.

I have a 2003 Jetta 1.8T, and have NOT payed an arm & a leg to repair.

Maybe people are taking their cars to the wrong repair shop.

I previously posted the minor problems that I have had with my Jetta. It is no different than any car.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Good job of staying away from the VW. The same goes for Audi. Stay the **** away. That is, unless you enjoy spending lots and lots of your hard earned money on fixing them.

As a Jetta owner, I have no idea where you are coming up with this junk. I have kept my hard earned money because the problems have been easy to fix and NOT that expensive.