Vikings fans...

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
There seems to be a big disconnect between front office allocation of cap space and coaching philosophy. That was my point.

Kirk Cousins: 3 years, $84M
Stefon Diggs: 5 years, $81M
Adam Thielen: 4 years, $64M

If Zimmer wants to be run heavy (and he does), why invest this much $ into QB/WRs and not into the OL?

Likewise, if personnel dictates for a quick hitting passing game (decent QB, elite WRs, below avg OL) why would you insist on using a power run game and play action off of that with long developing routes?

The front office hasn't provided personnel that makes sense for the offensive scheme the coach wants to run, and the coach doesn't seem to want to adjust to the personnel he has. It is a bad combination.
The fans would have revolted if the Vikings let Thielen or Diggs walk. That wasn't ever an option.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The fans would have revolted if the Vikings let Thielen or Diggs walk. That wasn't ever an option.

Teams make moves that are unpopular among fans all the time. It's a necessity of managing the salary cap. Diggs and Thielen are both good players but the Vikes never should have handed them both big money extensions. They're hard up against the cap in the wrong spots.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Teams make moves that are unpopular among fans all the time. It's a necessity of managing the salary cap. Diggs and Thielen are both good players but the Vikes never should have handed them both big money extensions. They're hard up against the cap in the wrong spots.

I think the "win now" logic also played into their signing of Cousins. The FO was probably ok with Keenum, but their was an undercurrent of "this FO is cheap and will always go cheap." They wanted to send the message to the team and the fans that they were all-in on winning. It's a shame it backfired in their face.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Game manager >>>>> Complete and total liability.

Bridgewater wasn't going to be a Top 5 NFL QB ever, but he took pretty good care of the ball, could check down when and where he needed to, and managed the offense. In 2015, there were multiple games where he drove the team down the field at the end of the game to get the win.

He was comfortable with Zimmer's system, and was starting to get pretty effective running it. Cousins just doesn't seem to have that at all.

Yea I agree but I am longing for a franchise level guy like Mahomes, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc. once in my life. We as fans deserve it. Someone who when the chips are down gets it done time and time again and takes us to a super bowl victory. Hell I’d even take a Super Bowl appearance in my lifetime we don’t even have to win the ******* thing. But I’m tired of the close calls and the late game **** ups that have cost us NFC titles in 1987, 1998, 2008, getting boat raced in 2000 and 2017 wasn’t much fun either.

Reactions: isutrevman

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Chicago shut down Cook and made Cousins beat them. Which the entire league knows he can’t. It’s infuriating to see a performance like that and hear Cousins say it’s “frustrating.”

He’s all talk and no action to back it up. That’s been true throughout his career. He was smart enough to position himself to get a max contract with guaranteed money, I’ll give him that. Beyond that, he hasn’t done much to impress me.

Even though the Vikes won't win with Cousins continually dropping the ball, he might have been frustrated with Zimmer calling play after play into the Bears line for one yard gains.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think our gameplan was the problem against the Bears. Just like the Viking defense, to get first downs you have to pick up >5 yds on first down. If the run game isn't getting more than 2, than you have to throw on first down. Pick up 5-7 yds on a short passing route and then it opens things up to run on 2nd and 3rd. As soon as the Bears defense gets a chance to know it is a pass. Mack will get a sack.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Pretty drama-filled week in Minnesota. The highlight to me was Kirk Cousins using his weekly radio spot to publicly apologize to his receiver for sucking ass.

I think they beat the Giants easily this weekend to quiet some of the noise but they've got big problems.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Pretty drama-filled week in Minnesota. The highlight to me was Kirk Cousins using his weekly radio spot to publicly apologize to his receiver for sucking ass.

I think they beat the Giants easily this weekend to quiet some of the noise but they've got big problems.

If they don't win this weekend, you might seem some heads roll.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If they don't win this weekend, you might seem some heads roll.

I'm not sure whose, though. Benching Cousins is the nuclear option because of how much money is tied up in him. There's no going back to him once they demote him and they're still on the hook for another season of his services at 28 million.

Firing Zimmer seems like a rash move. I guess he could fire another OC although you can only play that card so many times.

I don't know. Short of trading Diggs there just aren't a lot of ways for them to shake things up. This is their team for better or worse.

It's probably moot because I do think they beat the Giants. Or at least they better because the schedule isn't getting any easier after this week - Philly, at Detroit, Redskins on a short week, at KC, and at Dallas. That's a potential 1-4 or 2-3 stretch.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

It's worth noting that Zimmer defenses have historically done really well against inexperienced QBs, but again...have to have something resembling offense to win any games.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's worth noting that Zimmer defenses have historically done really well against inexperienced QBs, but again...have to have something resembling offense to win any games.

And they have plenty of familiarity with Shurmur's offense and a couple week's worth of game tape on Daniel Jones now. Even if the offense struggles again there's no reason for the Vikes not to get this one.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I love how Cousins, Theilen, all Vikings fans think he should have thrown for 500 yards and 5 tds on the Bears defense.

Newsflash for Viking fans, Bears defense is good and completely shut them down like they do most players not named Aaron Rodgers.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
It was great to see Cook and Thielen have huge games today, but I'm still worried that Diggs will jump ship. He is saying that all is well, but of course he is going to say that to the media. Hopefully the Vikings get this situation under control. Really there is no point having a weapon like Diggs and not get him the ball.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I love how Cousins, Theilen, all Vikings fans think he should have thrown for 500 yards and 5 tds on the Bears defense.

Newsflash for Viking fans, Bears defense is good and completely shut them down like they do most players not named Aaron Rodgers.
...and then they turn around today and get beat by Josh Jacobs and the Raiders, with Mack in particular recording minimal stats.

Figures.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
...and then they turn around today and get beat by Josh Jacobs and the Raiders, with Mack in particular recording minimal stats.

Figures.

Thats what happens when you have inept coaching and ownership who decide to fly in to London 2 days before the game. Plus, the Raiders arent a bad team and the Bears offense is a complete joke which puts their defense in a vulnerable spot.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It was great to see Cook and Thielen have huge games today, but I'm still worried that Diggs will jump ship. He is saying that all is well, but of course he is going to say that to the media. Hopefully the Vikings get this situation under control. Really there is no point having a weapon like Diggs and not get him the ball.

Yeah, my previous post about Diggs wanting to be in Minnesota doesn't really hold up very well, does it? Here's hoping Kirk can figure some things out over these next 3 weeks (Eagles, Lions, Redskins) and have a good showing against the Chiefs in Week 9.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer