Vikings fans...

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Here's the skew with that -- neither the Vikings nor the Bills rely on the passing game frequently, they're both slanted heavily to running -- not sure that volume will keep Diggs happy, either.

Cousins also was pretty deadly with the deep play-action ball Diggs liked to catch for 40+ yards so much. I don't recall seeing a lot of that from Allen, but maybe I'm wrong. I don't think its a stretch to say Cousins is a better pure-passer than Allen. Pretty sure the Bills were rated higher in pass coverage than the Vikings were.

It's kind of a wash in certain respects. I guess if Diggs wanted to be the #1 guy, well, now he is. But that won't necessarily help his numbers or volume any specifically with Buffalo.
Buffalo certainly likes the ground game. I think the biggest knock against Allen coming into the league in year 1, was his inconsistent accuracy. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'd be willing to bet his % to a decent step in the right direction from year 1 to last year. Having someone like Diggs should prove to be quite rewarding for him.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
Look what Diggs did for Case Keenum in 2017 - the # of 50/50 balls that he went and got was impressive. He'll be getting more of those now and will probably have a QB that will work harder to get him the ball. Keep Cousins, have to get rid of Diggs. He was a diva but very talented.

As far as the Vikes... hope for a lottery-winning haul in the draft/FA at OL, DT, & WR (& CB). Cousins can't lift a team.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
My post didn't age well. That said, for a team that claims it is in win now mode, this trade makes little sense. Unless Diggs is causing AB level chaos in the locker room, this trade just made Cousins a worse QB. If they draft a WR with the 1st round pick, then it becomes a salary argument, but Diggs' contract was very favorable.

Yes and no regarding Cousins being worse. Definitely gives him 1 less weapon. Even if they use a 1st round pick on a WR he won't be as good as Diggs.

But the draft picks they picked up can hopefully help them improve the OL. Cousins is a good to great QB (he was top 5 this year) when he isn't facing pressure. But boy, when he has consistent pressure in his face he falls apart. Then he really is a bad QB.

If they can significantly upgrade the OL in the draft then I would say losing Diggs' talent is worth it. Get an above average OL and another weapon at WR that can get about 3/4 of Diggs' production and I think Cousins will be better off.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
If they can significantly upgrade the OL in the draft then I would say losing Diggs' talent is worth it. Get an above average OL and another weapon at WR that can get about 3/4 of Diggs' production and I think Cousins will be better off.

I get what you are saying, as that has been the conventional line of thought the past couple years, myself included. I'm just finding it hard to believe the offense can be any better next year by removing the best deep threat the team had.

If Zimmer's goal is still to have a world class defense providing the offense a low scoring threshold to reach, he is at least a couple years too late. It's hard to say what happens with Joseph gone, but it's a given that the CBs will be less experienced. I'm hopeful that the Hughes and Hill provide improved play, but both are big question marks right now. Therefore relying on the defense to keep the game in the 20s is not a good bet. Consequently, trading away a highly desirable talent on already shaky offense doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe they will kill it at the draft and I'll be back on the bandwagon.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I wonder how many games into the season will Diggs be thinking (and possibly tweeting) that he was better off in Minnesota? My guess is four.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
I get what you are saying, as that has been the conventional line of thought the past couple years, myself included. I'm just finding it hard to believe the offense can be any better next year by removing the best deep threat the team had.

If Zimmer's goal is still to have a world class defense providing the offense a low scoring threshold to reach, he is at least a couple years too late. It's hard to say what happens with Joseph gone, but it's a given that the CBs will be less experienced. I'm hopeful that the Hughes and Hill provide improved play, but both are big question marks right now. Therefore relying on the defense to keep the game in the 20s is not a good bet. Consequently, trading away a highly desirable talent on already shaky offense doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe they will kill it at the draft and I'll be back on the bandwagon.

I see that side as well. A great deep threat does sort of make up for the shoddy line. And they definitely need to find some sort of weapon to go with Thielen because they have nothing right now. Maybe Irv Smith can make a big jump.

It's also not like the front office has shown that they can be trusted when it comes to drafting or signing O-linemen...the line has been below average for years now.

I just keep hoping they get it right one of these years.

Agree about the CBs. Really hope they don't trade Harris because they'll need his experience back there.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It's also not like the front office has shown that they can be trusted when it comes to drafting or signing O-linemen...the line has been below average for years now.....

Agree the OL needs work but as far as drafting goes, at least they hit with O'Neill. Elf has been a miss and their FAs have not been anything to rave about. If they take a OT with one of their first round picks they should get a good one. The kid out USC might be the guy.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Jefferson or Lamb are expected to be the fourth WR taken by the time Philly picks at 21. The Vikes would just miss with their new #22 pick.
In my mock draft here's how I have the WR's going (just finished updating it).....
Jerry Jeudy (Raiders - pick 12)
CeeDee Lamb (Broncos - pick 15)
Justin Jefferson (Jaguars - pick 20)
Henry Ruggs III (Eagles - pick 21)
Tee Higgins (Giants - pick 36)
Brandon Aiyuk (Texans - pick 40)
Denzel Mims (Dolphins - pick 56)
Laviska Shenault Jr. (Ravens - pick 60)
Jalen Reagor (Seahawks - pick 64)
Michael Pittman (Jets - pick 68)
K.J. Hamler (Bucs - pick 76)
Antonio Gandy-Golden (Vikings - pick 89)

I also have the Vikes taking WR Kalija Lipscomb in rd 6 (pick 201)

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Unless one of Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, or Henry Ruggs III are available at 22. I think this is a great draft to wait on a WR. This team needs help along the DL, needs 2+ corners and at least 2 starters on the OL.

Dream scenario for me is they get a great corner and LT in the first rounds.

Keep in mind we have two really high level pass catching TE's back in Smith and Rudy. Thielan is a freak (when healthy) who can run great routes and stretch the field. They love Bisi Johnson as well. This team has to get better at blocking and will only be successful with Dalvin and Mattison carrying a heavy load

Also. if a guy like K'Lavon Chaisson falls to 22 or 25. I'd love to snatch up another LSU Edge rusher

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Unless one of Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, or Henry Ruggs III are available at 22. I think this is a great draft to wait on a WR. This team needs help along the DL, needs 2+ corners and at least 2 starters on the OL.

Dream scenario for me is they get a great corner and LT in the first rounds.

Keep in mind we have two really high level pass catching TE's back in Smith and Rudy. Thielan is a freak (when healthy) who can run great routes and stretch the field. They love Bisi Johnson as well. This team has to get better at blocking and will only be successful with Dalvin and Mattison carrying a heavy load

Also. if a guy like K'Lavon Chaisson falls to 22 or 25. I'd love to snatch up another LSU Edge rusher

I know it's not gospel, but SI.com mock draft has MIN taking defensive players for all but 1 of their picks in the first 3 rounds.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The Vikings have had basically the same defensive personnel for 5 years. It's time to get younger in some places. It isn't like they were all world last year anyways.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
As much as we need CBs and WRs, we need to go early on OT and DL. The big uglies are what makes those units go, and we need help there too -- seems to be less risk on the lines in 1st round as well.