Uber

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'm going out of town to Seattle for work and thinking about trying out Uber for the trip from the airport. Anybody that's used it have any advice? I always get a little nervous trying out a new service like this.

Reactions: TXCyclones

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
For sure use it, much cheaper than a Taxi and the response time is much better as well.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Much better than a taxi.
Just download the app and the rest is step by step.
Uber is making a killing over in Chicago.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Uber is AWESOME. No tips, no cash involved. So easy. The only trick I've learned is that Uber can't pick up at some airports. So plug in your location as a restaurant address in the airport, or just outside the airport, and the driver will text or call and you can direct them to your actual location. Use my code and your first fare is free (PM'd)!

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Uber is AWESOME. No tips, no cash involved. So easy. The only trick I've learned is that Uber can't pick up at some airports. So plug in your location as a restaurant address in the airport, or just outside the airport, and the driver will text or call and you can direct them to your actual location. Use my code and your first fare is free (PM'd)!

Thanks for this, I should have clarified, main thing was I wasn't sure how the tips worked.

Thanks for the code!

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Thanks for this, I should have clarified, main thing was I wasn't sure how the tips worked.

Thanks for the code!

Use only UberX cars if you can (the slider bar at bottom). The larger XL and UberBlack cost more. The drivers are usually super friendly and I haven't had a creepy one yet. I've given up on taxis now because of how awesome these have been.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Not sure if Washington is the same as AZ but down here Uber is not allowed to pick people up from airports. You may want to check on that. That being said...I will never use a cab service again unless Uber isn't available.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm going out of town to Seattle for work and thinking about trying out Uber for the trip from the airport. Anybody that's used it have any advice? I always get a little nervous trying out a new service like this.

Im also going to Seattle for work tomorrow for 6 days. Want to hang out?

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Uber is great, don't have it where I live but anytime I'm in a bigger city and don't want to take a cab I always use it. No cash involved, really easy to split rides/fares with buddies who have the app, faster, cheaper, etc.

I know when I downloaded the app, I got $25 worth of free rides to start. You can also share your promo code with another person who hasn't downloaded the app yet and you both get a $25 free ride credit. I did this with some buddies that didn't have the app down in KC for the Big XII tourney and I think we only had to pay for one ride the whole weekend down there.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
I've used it quite a few times in CR and it works out great. Also used in Orlando. Had also planned to use it this summer for airports, so I'll need to check on that as well. Is there an easy spot to see if they are allowed at certain airports?

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Have you run into this yet? I had one guy beside me at the SuperBowl that said his phone notified him of it, but I've never run into this yet.

Quite a bit of it when partying in downtown Austin (or whenever there are large events which seems to be every weekend). Though you can walk out of the surge zone (might be a long walk). I have two friends who are/were Uber drivers. They would do their driving when there was surge pricing because they would make so much money. Upwards of $150-200 for a 30 minute trip.

danrog

Jan 19, 2008
Seattle
I live in Seattle. FYI but uberx cannot pickup at the airport (cheapest option). Uber black (regular towncar) will be able to be ordered, but might not be what you are really expecting. This has to do with an agreement with either the city (airport located in the city of Seatac, not Seattle) or the Port of Seattle.