Tre King (Georgetown transfer)

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Is he or isn't he eligible for games after the first semester is over?

Last I heard it was unknown if he plays at all this year. If he is cleared to play. We play SE Louisiana and Chicago St after finals. Would be great to get him into a game before the defending champs visit Hilton on January 1, 2022

He is the final piece to this team! Why not try for a waiver?

Reactions: linen

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Having King being able to play the 4 or the 5 will also free Enaruna up to slide to the 3 on occasion. I think he's better fit in our offense at the 4 but if Brockington gets in foul trouble it's nice to have a bigger option.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Could be a wrench in the team unity.
I don't think the coaches would allow him to be a wrench, but I do think some are expecting way too much out of him considering he wouldn't even start practicing with the team until conference play starts. It's not easy to fit someone into an established rotation at that part of the season. It might work, it might not, and thats only if he chooses ISU and gets a waiver. With all that combined the odds of him doing much for the team this year are extremely remote.

Reactions: clone4life82

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
He is the final piece to this team! Why not try for a waiver?

Based upon his improved three-point shooting in his final full year - yes, he could be the final piece. While I know why Xavier is not on the team, how good could we be with a big that is a legitimate threat to hit the three? They step out and open up the lane for our drives. Provided Tre can buy in like everyone else, he becomes a nice piece to combine with our other bigs.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I don't think the coaches would allow him to be a wrench, but I do think some are expecting way too much out of him considering he wouldn't even start practicing with the team until conference play starts. It's not easy to fit someone into an established rotation at that part of the season. It might work, it might not, and thats only if he chooses ISU and gets a waiver. With all that combined the odds of him doing much for the team this year are extremely remote.
Wouldn't he be able to practice after ISU's finals are over? I'm not sure how that works.

I think he could be an upgrade on Jones, whose energy I like but whose offense seems like Jameel McKay without the vertical. That is based on what I've read about him; haven't watched him play.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
After my last comments, I decided to find some clips of him. Found this 12-minute highlight video on Youtube. Lots of dunks but there's even a section on him shooting from mid-range etc. Definitely has a bigger offensive repertoire than George or Robert:

Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We need him as a safety option more than anything. We are light on bodies. The quicker he can crack the rotation without injury the better though.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
We need him as a safety option more than anything. We are light on bodies. The quicker he can crack the rotation without injury the better though.
This seems like the correct mindset to have with this guy. He wasn't a star at EKU but was a very good player for them. To say that translates to an instant impact high minutes guy or starter here seems like Jeff Beverly situation 2.0. TBF I think he ends up better than Jeff because he will have a more suitable role on a team like this.

Reactions: legi

Mads4st8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 17, 2021
This seems like the correct mindset to have with this guy. He wasn't a star at EKU but was a very good player for them. To say that translates to an instant impact high minutes guy or starter here seems like Jeff Beverly situation 2.0. TBF I think he ends up better than Jeff because he will have a more suitable role on a team like this.
Perhaps you are right but did Jeff Beverly have high-major offers? Anyone from the Big East? He definitely will take time to contribute but I don’t see any comparison to Jeff Beverly.

Reactions: BigCyFan

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Perhaps you are right but did Jeff Beverly have high-major offers? Anyone from the Big East? He definitely will take time to contribute but I don’t see any comparison to Jeff Beverly.
It wasn't meant to be a direct comparison to Jeff Beverly. It was mostly our propensity on this board to project a guy into his top 1% of his potential rather than look at the middle two standard deviations of what is likely. This guy in all likelihood will be like an 8 and 5 guy here which is great but I'm not sure that displaces George or Enuara from their roles currently, he might just push Jones down to an emergency body.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Beverly had interest from St. John’s, Miami, Nevada and New Mexico among others

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

The only question would be if he is in game shape. Like TJ said they run a boring offense. It's motion, something rare in today's world of Hoiball. So IF he gets a waiver, I think his contribution would increase as the season unfolds. At the very minimum he gets us 5 more fouls which would allow the inside guys to be that much more aggressive.

Reactions: Neptune78

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah what is up with that? Something is way off here, missing one or two bunnies, it happens. But he is missing everything close in. That is going to bite us in the @ss down the road. Maybe he just has really bad hand eye coordination. Hopefully the coaches are working with him.
I think we are seeing the limitations that come with acquiring a big from a low-major school not known for basketball. He is athletically deficient and a step slow especially offensively to play serious minutes at this level. But I don't think that is ever something we'll have to worry about unless everyone else is saddled with fouls. He plays tough which really right now is all we should be expecting out of him. If he stumbles into an occasional stat line of 8 and 6 or 6 and 5, I think it's just gravy at that point. I'd like to see him go back to banking free throws like he did against Kennesaw St.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think the team unity/fit/wrench thing was decided long ago or he wouldn't be coming in.

This. I think at this point we can give TJ the benefit of the doubt wrt team chemistry and having good guys on the team.

Let me TJ coach!

Reactions: jcyclonee