TNF: WV vs Baylor

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I only watched part of the game, but how in the heck do the announcers come away from that that Baylor is a great team? They struggled against an average WVU team. Baylor is good but they’ve gotten so many lucky bounces this year.
Good coaching wins close winnable games.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It would be poetic justice if WVA won on a last second FG by a guy who just made his first extra point.

This came close to happening (although only to tie the game and with a few minutes remaining). Legg's first college FG attempt. If not for the delay of game .... :(

Aside: How cool is a place-kicker with a surname Legg?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
BU's MVP was WVU's center. OU will boat race the Bears. That game last night could have opened the championship game up for everyone else, but alas ...

In my view, Baylor is the B12's version of Minnesota.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
BU's MVP was WVU's center. OU will boat race the Bears. That game last night could have opened the championship game up for everyone else, but alas ...

In my view, Baylor is the B12's version of Minnesota.

Maybe alike in that they both have a backloaded schedule but look at who they've played. Baylor has wins over K State, Okie State and ISU. 3 bowl teams, all would be the best team Minnesota has played. As it stands, the Gophs have 1 win over an FBS team with a winning record (Georgia Southern). I love putting Baylor down but these two teams aren't even in the same category.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
A football team cannot "luck" their way to 8-0.

Anyone who thinks Baylor hasn't been lucky this year hasn't been paying attention. Are they a good football team, yes, but there is a razor's edge difference between 8-0 and 6-2 (or worse). They could EASILY be the latter.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Surprised nobody mentioned the referee error calling a late hit on WV when Brewer slid to avoid a hit. They called Baylor for holding and instead of offsetting penalties, they enforced both. But although it looked like the WV player was going to hit Brewer, in reality, Brewer completely slid under the defender and at most the defender may have brushed Brewer with his arm. Not a late hit at all.

I have seen Purdy get hit harder 10 times this year while sliding down, with no penalty called. I keep thinking why can't refs get it, don't call a penalty unless you actually see the violation. Don't assume anything and don't call what you think happened. From the long-distance TV view of the live play, you would have thought for sure that guy hit Brewer. But replay showed he did not, and the refs are close enough, they should be able to tell the difference.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

Sevey

Jun 16, 2007
Adel
Surprised nobody mentioned the referee error calling a late hit on WV when Brewer slid to avoid a hit. They called Baylor for holding and instead of offsetting penalties, they enforced both. But although it looked like the WV player was going to hit Brewer, in reality, Brewer completely slid under the defender and at most the defender may have brushed Brewer with his arm. Not a late hit at all.

I have seen Purdy get hit harder 10 times this year while sliding down, with no penalty called. I keep thinking why can't refs get it, don't call a penalty unless you actually see the violation. Don't assume anything and don't call what you think happened. From the long-distance TV view of the live play, you would have thought for sure that guy hit Brewer. But replay showed he did not, and the refs are close enough, they should be able to tell the difference.
That is actually the correct administration of the penalties. Holding is a live ball foul and late hit is a dead ball foul so both are penalized. With that being said, I'm not arguing if the late hit was a good call or not.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
That is actually the correct administration of the penalties. Holding is a live ball foul and late hit is a dead ball foul so both are penalized. With that being said, I'm not arguing if the late hit was a good call or not.

I never said that enforcing both penalties was wrong, I was trying to give the context so that people might remember what point in the game I was talking about. Calling the late hit was the mistake. Thought I made that clear.

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA
I never said that enforcing both penalties was wrong, I was trying to give the context so that people might remember what point in the game I was talking about. Calling the late hit was the mistake. Thought I made that clear.

I don't know if that was the right call or not, but what I find annoying is the play prior to that Brewer was lowering his shoulder and hitting defenders. The announcers were praising his toughness and the bench was getting all excited. Then the next play replays showed the defender starting to prepare for the tackle prior to Brewer's slide and he ends up brushing over him as Brewer slides underneath.

What is the defender supposed to do? Ease up and you get trucked and/or give up a bunch more yards. Come hard and you get called for a late hit.

At one point Brewer lowered his helmet and hit a defender in the head. That defender needed help leaving the field. Shouldn't that have been targeting on Brewer? Would have been the other way around.

Last edited:

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
At one point Brewer lowered his helmet and hit a defender in the head. That defender needed help leaving the field. Shouldn't that have been targeting on Brewer? Would have been the other way around.

I have never seen a player on offense called for targeting. Anyone? The rule does not exclude it. But it just doesn't happen that they call the offense for targeting. I'm sure it happens but refs just aren't even watching for it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron