Tickets online or find them at MSG?

sheets

Feb 26, 2012
I have been trying to plan the trip out to NYC. I have found flights at a "reasonable" price and lined up an apartment to stay at for free less then a mile from MSG.

The Issue is the tickets. I was first looking at craigslist but the prices seemed to good to be true. the 5 people I was negotiating with all turned out to be fakes. I asked for proof of purchase and conveniently 3 people sent me the same picture and the others did not even match the seats they were offering. so I am staying away for craigslist in NYC.

I am going back and forth between buying tickets online from stubhub or trying to find some at MSG. If I get tickets at MSG I am going to only buy from someone who will scan the ticket first then allow me to pay them. I have heard lots of stories of people buying fake nicks tickets right in front of MSG ticket office.

Any one else in the same boat with tickets? or have a connection for 2 legit tickets?

neiacyfan

Feb 13, 2012
Northeast Iowa
I just lined up a purchase through Craigslist so really hoping it pans out. The guy wants cash and to meet when we get there Friday afternoon. I like that better then him wanting money through paypal right away without me having the tickets in my hands. I got them for $210 each for Friday night.

I have been trying to plan the trip out to NYC. I have found flights at a "reasonable" price and lined up an apartment to stay at for free less then a mile from MSG.

The Issue is the tickets. I was first looking at craigslist but the prices seemed to good to be true. the 5 people I was negotiating with all turned out to be fakes. I asked for proof of purchase and conveniently 3 people sent me the same picture and the others did not even match the seats they were offering. so I am staying away for craigslist in NYC.

I am going back and forth between buying tickets online from stubhub or trying to find some at MSG. If I get tickets at MSG I am going to only buy from someone who will scan the ticket first then allow me to pay them. I have heard lots of stories of people buying fake nicks tickets right in front of MSG ticket office.

Any one else in the same boat with tickets? or have a connection for 2 legit tickets?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We felt the guarantee of Stubhub was worth paying a little more for our tickets when we went down to KC. Turns out we paid about $20 more per seat than the two guys sitting next to us, who bought them from a scalper outside the Sprint Center.

UCONNonasunnyda

Mar 24, 2014
I live in Manhattan. I go to half a dozen MSG events a year. I won't buy off of Craigslist. As for scalpers, they will get creative and gin up fake receipts, the whole nine yards. There are more fakes than you would think. And for a premium event, every Tom **** and grifting Harry will be trying to separate you from your money.

For this event, unless eg., you come across a group of obvious fans looking to unload an extra ticket, don't buy from a scalper unless:

you get a scan at the turnstile and complete the exchange once you hear the beep.

I don't want to sound like a pollyanna, but be very circumspect in buying.

sheets

Feb 26, 2012
That is a great deal! I would try and see if they would let you go through the gate first just to be safe.

I just lined up a purchase through Craigslist so really hoping it pans out. The guy wants cash and to meet when we get there Friday afternoon. I like that better then him wanting money through paypal right away without me having the tickets in my hands. I got them for $210 each for Friday night.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

What happens when he finds someone with cash in hand that can pay today? Then you show up, call him, he doesn't answer, and boom, you are out of the tickets and it is really no skin off his back because you are some dude from Iowa he hasn't ever met.

I would pay a premium to know that I have actual tickets. I would have a hard time going way out there, with my only plan being to trust some guy from NYC trying to make a buck.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What happens when he finds someone with cash in hand that can pay today? Then you show up, call him, he doesn't answer, and boom, you are out of the tickets and it is really no skin off his back because you are some dude from Iowa he hasn't ever met.

I would pay a premium to know that I have actual tickets. I would have a hard time going way out there, with my only plan being to trust some guy from NYC trying to make a buck.

Had this exact thing happen to us at a Twins game a few years back. We found another way in but I would never trust the whole point of a trip to someone on the internet.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Ask him to walk you to the gate.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
You can probably get cheaper from a scalper close to game time...BUT you need a friend or another cyclone fan. The friend or fan stays with he scalper until your ticket gets scanned. If they want the sell they will not be afraid to walk up to the gate with you.

5Wins5Days

Mar 25, 2014
Illegal to scalp tickets in NYC.

That means squat. Its illegal to j-walk and not wear a seatbelt also. People scalp tickets outside MSG all the time for every event. The police don't really monitor that.

Best advice for you guys is to buy online from stubhub or ebay so you have protection. There are tons of fake tickets on craigslist as have been mentioned. Then there are the times where you think you have a deal for tickets just to find out last minute the person sold them to someone with cash instead of waiting to meet up with you.

Also make sure the tickets have not been scanned. If it was already scanned you have no way of getting inside. The event security and personnel will just laugh at you for getting got.

If you buy from a scalper outside MSG either ask him to walk with you to the gate to make sure you get in or have a buddy stay with the scalper and have the other person go in and then call to let the other person know the ticket worked.

Everyone is going to be looking to profit off this even and they could care less about ripping off a fan. They know they will be in the clear since it will be nearly impossible for you to find them or report them.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

How I imagine that meeting going down...

[video=youtube;3ozLROB32K0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozLROB32K0[/video]

5Wins5Days

Mar 25, 2014
fyi to those thinking prices will drop drastically by waiting and getting scalped tickets before the game...

In Buffalo this past weekend scalpers were refusing to sell at discount even after the games started. Saw a scalper walk away from someone offering $40 less a ticket. You have to keep in mind a lot of these tickets they got at face value and didn't pay the exorbitant prices tickets are going for now. Taking a $100-200 loss on 1 ticket may be worth it if they don't get their asking price.

A lot of the scalpers work in tandem and work together. Same scalpers all the time outside MSG. Ive always wondered who they know or where they get their tickets from.

rstang50

Nov 5, 2010
We got our tickets through Stubhub. I ordered them yesterday at 3pm and got them at 10:30am. Bought 2 tickets for each session. Paid $1400 and I see prices are going higher today. Airfare for 2 from Chicago $1200, hotel for 4 nights near MSG $1000. Expensive but a once in a lifetime experience. We went to the ISU/MSU game in 2000. I hope for a trip to the final 4 this time.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
No way would I trust or try Craigslist - especially travelling to an event. I ONLY use Stubhub when I need tickets on the secondary market and have NEVER had a problem.

:)

alaCYCLONE