There are not too many bowl games

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Nope, there are too many bowls

If you don't like em, don't watch them.

I honestly wouldnt care if all 130 FBS teams were allowed to go, if enough bowl games existed for it. There will still always be some prestige in what bowl you are going to, as opposed to just making a bowl. A raw w-l total is a garbage metric for determining postseason eligibility anyway. Plenty of G5 teams that ISU beat at 4-8 or 5-7 made bowls while ISU sat at home simply due to SoS differences.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Why would anyone care how many bowl games there are? Nobody is forced to watch, strapped to a chair with toothpicks prying their eyes open. It is so easy to change the channel. I mean, super easy.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
You can't put a price tag on the extra practices teams get during bowl season, which also helps drive parity in college football. Take away a bunch of bowl games and the gap between the haves and the have nots only gets wider. Bowls need to drop conference affiliations and go to a true selection order, that would fix a lot of the middle of the road bowl match ups.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Bowl Games give teams another month of practice and lets fanbases have the opportunity to travel. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I think the additional practices is what helps schools get better - more time with coaches. I think this is what helps G5 teams that go to lower bowls to advance at a faster rate than P5 that don't go to bowl games - I always felt ISU was held back because they didn't get these extra practices for many years. If the NCAA wants to level the playing field allow all schools these extra practices.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I think the additional practices is what helps schools get better - more time with coaches. I think this is what helps G5 teams to advance at a faster rate than P5 that don't go to bowl games - I always felt ISU was held back because they didn't get these extra practices for many years. If the NCAA wants to level the playing allow all schools these extra practices.

To piggy back off of this point, what do teams actually do in during the practices in preparation of a bowl game? Do they separate the team in to two groups, those on the two deep to prepare for the game and those who are younger and do a mini camp? Or do they spend the whole time preparing for the game? Anyone have any insight in to this?

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
You can't put a price tag on the extra practices teams get during bowl season, which also helps drive parity in college football. Take away a bunch of bowl games and the gap between the haves and the have nots only gets wider. Bowls need to drop conference affiliations and go to a true selection order, that would fix a lot of the middle of the road bowl match ups.
Completely agree with all of this. I would definitely support getting rid of affiliations and use a power ranking to match teams for bowls.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
To piggy back off of this point, what do teams actually do in during the practices in preparation of a bowl game? Do they separate the team in to two groups, those on the two deep to prepare for the game and those who are younger and do a mini camp? Or do they spend the whole time preparing for the game? Anyone have any insight in to this?

The bowl practices are all about getting the young guys extra reps. I'm sure they spend time on the scheme they want to roll with for the bowl game but for the most part it's for the young guys.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Completely agree with all of this. I would definitely support getting rid of affiliations and use a power ranking to match teams for bowls.

It seems like everyone would win by getting rid of conference-bowl affiliations. Limiting most teams to the same few locations every year seems to be a great way to generate location fatigue among fans. A bowl is a big commitment for a lot of people. My family had a great time at the Alamo bowl last year, but I can't see us going back in consecutive years. We've got finite opportunities to travel and infinite places we'd like to go. Tough to justify using one of those chances on a repeat trip to SA.