The CF Search feature could use improvement

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I miss the search utility on one of the previous incarnations of Cyclone Fanatic. With that one, there were a great many search options, such as searching in just message titles or just message bodies, and searching by message or topic author. Is there any way more search options could be implemented in the current CF message board software?

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If you hit search forums instead of using the search box you get all those options.

Whatever does the search though is rather poor. Ive searched for stuff i know was posted and received no results.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
If you hit search forums instead of using the search box you get all those options.

Whatever does the search though is rather poor. Ive searched for stuff i know was posted and received no results.

You both may know this, but I find on a lot of sites, especially newspapers where you would think the search would be important, using Google search with the website domain restrictions, works better, especially when you have some key words in mind. You limit the website with the site: command...no spaces between site and colon, so " "alarson" fire campbell site:cyclonefanatic.com" returns ;):

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-google&ei=oaH1Xd66DOKYtgXNjonQCw&q="alarson"+fire+Campbell+site%3Acyclonefanatic.com&oq="alarson"+fire+Campbell+site%3Acyclonefanatic.com&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.3...2605.10372..10483...2.0..0.88.1132.16......0....1.5YWrdDsYvhc

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Would this work if you put site: at the beginning of your keyword search? Or does it need to be at the end?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I miss the search utility on one of the previous incarnations of Cyclone Fanatic. With that one, there were a great many search options, such as searching in just message titles or just message bodies, and searching by message or topic author. Is there any way more search options could be implemented in the current CF message board software?

I agree. It's been nearly impossible to find the "Tuff as Rain" posts for years now.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Would this work if you put site: at the beginning of your keyword search? Or does it need to be at the end?

Yes, it can be anywhere in search, like beginning, just don't use a space after site: Also a similar trick for file types, like filetype:doc or gif or pdf etc