Texas names their new WBB head coach...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The Dispatch posted an article yesterday evening reporting that sources state McCray-Penson is getting the job. https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=80571

Seems like a great choice. If March Madness hadn't been 86'd she likely would have had Old Dominion back in the NCAA's for the first time in a decade. They had a 17 year streak broken over a decade ago. And, of course, she knows the SEC as both a player and coach.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
First: I simply said it is likely he will be successful there. For ISU purposes, I hope he isn't. But, his record at MSU strongly indicates that he can apparently assemble talent and can coach them to wins.

Second: I was simply asking a couple of questions and hoping for some confirmation. I was not trying to point out something negative about ISU. I was at the ISU/MSU game with my family. As I recall it was a heck of a game start to finish.

If my comment and two questions offended you, I apologize.

no offense. The "questions" appeared to be rhetorical to support your point rather than seeking an answer.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.burntorangenation.com/b...ic-schaefer-texas-longhorns-womens-basketball

Remodeling* Texas Women’s Basketball
Another crucial part of success will lie in the transfer portal. Chloe Bibby, who is transferring from Mississippi State, might be a player to watch in the coming days if Schaefer wants to upgrade the forward position. Schaefer recruited Bibby from Australia and the two had a strong relationship. Another Australian forward entered the transfer portal in 6’5 forward Lucy Cochrane and she makes a lot of sense for the Horns. Schaefer will look to add size and can do that with a solid contributor on a stacked Oregon Ducks team. Destiny Slocum announced she was transferring from Oregon State earlier this week, and she also can be a big name that makes sense. Slocum’s announcement came as a shock to many and she averaged 15.1 points per game along with 4.8 assist this past season. Trinity Baptiste from Virginia Tech and Holly Winterburn from Oregon could also be on Schaefer’s radar. While I cannot confirm any interest from Schaefer in these players, it would be a safe bet that Texas pursues two or three transfers before the start of next season.

With a good foundation in place, a solid recruiting class coming in, and the implantation of Schaefer’s playbook and culture, the future of Texas basketball is brighter than ever. He might not get to build it, but fully expect him to make it his own.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It will be interesting to see how many Horns players from this past season bail on the new coach because they don't want to deal with the higher expectations. Maybe no one will leave, but a change in leadership usually means some departures.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://amp.clarionledger.com/amp/5149776002#referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s

A top Mississippi State women's basketball recruit has decided to follow former head coach Vic Schaefer to Texas.

"I wanna thank the Mississippi girls for being there and helping me with anything I needed," Gaston wrote in her social media announcement. "But I guess I'll be staying in Texas a little longer."

The 6-foot-2 forward from Pearland High School in Texas was once the No. 1 player in her class before she suffered an injury. She's ranked as the No. 90 prospect in the nation as a four-star recruit, according to ESPN.

"She has had a few little nicks and injuries the last couple of years, but I think she is back," Schaefer previously said. "I think she is going to be everything that we thought she was going to be as a freshman. I can remember watching and following her for a long, long time.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://texassports.com/news/2020/4/17/schaefer-names-coaching-staff-for-womens-basketball.aspx

Texas Women's Basketball head coach Vic Schaefer welcomes a championship-caliber staff with a combined 46 years of collegiate coaching experience to the Forty Acres, he announced on Friday.

Johnnie Harris and Dionnah Jackson-Durrett have been named associate head coaches, while Elena Lovato has been named assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. Harris, Jackson-Durrett and Lovato each served in similar roles under Schaefer at Mississippi State.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
https://www.hookem.com/2020/05/07/n...-be-compensated-more-than-their-predecessors/

The new assistant coaches for the women’s basketball program at Texas will combine to make nearly $700,000, the school revealed on Thursday.

New Texas associate head coach Johnnie Harris will receive a base salary of $300,000 in Austin. Texas is set to pay associate head coach Dionnah Jackson-Durrett $210,000 while assistant coach Elena Lovato makes $170,000. The American-Statesman received those numbers through an open records request.

Relocation allowances and moving stipends will be given to Harris, Jackson-Durrett and Lovato, who all worked with new UT head coach Vic Schaefer at Mississippi State. A $2,000 Nike allowance for each coach is also part of each deal.

The University of Texas Board of Regents will have to approve Schaefer’s deal since it likely exceeds $1 million. Schaefer was supposed to receive $1.65 million at Mississippi State for the 2020-21 school year. Texas has not yet reveled Schaefer’s deal, and his contract was not on the regents’ agenda this week.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
First...every coach Texas has hired has proven they can coach BEFORE they get to Austin. That doesn't guarantee success there. Texas chews up coaches in basketball like they are a disposable lighter.

Why are people in Austin chewing on disposable lighters? This explains a lot.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
https://www.hookem.com/2020/05/07/n...-be-compensated-more-than-their-predecessors/

The new assistant coaches for the women’s basketball program at Texas will combine to make nearly $700,000, the school revealed on Thursday.

New Texas associate head coach Johnnie Harris will receive a base salary of $300,000 in Austin. Texas is set to pay associate head coach Dionnah Jackson-Durrett $210,000 while assistant coach Elena Lovato makes $170,000. The American-Statesman received those numbers through an open records request.

Relocation allowances and moving stipends will be given to Harris, Jackson-Durrett and Lovato, who all worked with new UT head coach Vic Schaefer at Mississippi State. A $2,000 Nike allowance for each coach is also part of each deal.

The University of Texas Board of Regents will have to approve Schaefer’s deal since it likely exceeds $1 million. Schaefer was supposed to receive $1.65 million at Mississippi State for the 2020-21 school year. Texas has not yet reveled Schaefer’s deal, and his contract was not on the regents’ agenda this week.

Those numbers are amazing - the number three assistant at Texas will make more than the associate head coach at ISU (that is before the 10% pay cut that all staff members are taking). Side Note - I do not think I have seen another athletic dept that has done across the board pay reductions - most are just Head Coaches and Senior Staff.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

The contract calls for Schaefer to be paid $1.8 million in each of his first three years. During the 2023-24 and 2024-25 fiscal years, his salary will bump to $1.9 million. Schaefer, 59, will be paid $2 million during the 2025-26 fiscal year and the final year calls for a salary of $2.1 million.

If Schaefer’s contract is approved, he will collect a relocation fee of $300,000. A one-time payment of $200,000 is also on the books for the 2024-25

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron