Terrence Lewis transferring

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
But it also varies even within the prohm era.

This year was one of the softest years for the big 12 yet it was one of prohm's worst. Prohm got a lot of his top 25 wins with hoiberg's players.

See my post above. This was not a soft Big 12.

This was one of the better Big 12s.

Your standards adjusted too high after how murderously competitive it was there for awhile, almost all of that "awhile" being the first few years of the Prohm era.

Been watching since 2002. Us, KSU, TCU, Texas, and OSU were total trash. That made up almost half our schedule.

You really must not remember how awful some of those old Nebby teams used to be.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

You really must not remember how awful some of those old Nebby teams used to be.
You must not have remembered that A&M was actually really good when McDermott was here and Baylor was also good other than his first year, and also that Nebraska was only really bad McDermotts last year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You must not have remembered that A&M was actually really good when McDermott was here and Baylor was also good other than his first year, and also that Nebraska was only really bad McDermotts last year.

Again, look at the numbers --

The best Big 12 year (2009-2010) for McD was still worse than the worst Big 12 year under Prohm based on SRS as a comparative statistic.

You can say the conference was not at its absolute best this past season, but saying it was the worst you've seen it in almost two decades is absurd.

It would have put probably six teams in the NCAA tournament this year.

It put four in these seasons --

1997-98
2003-04
2005-06
2006-07

...as a 12-team league. Three of those years are in your range.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Foster/Blackwell/Dubar/Walker vs Griffin/Grill/Lewis/Leech/Anderson. Which group do you choose?

Bolton and Solo are Big 12 quality starters. They would start at some schools and get 20+ at most. Obviously not KU/BU. We aren't shooting for top 3 in the conference anyway next year. Let Bolton play 36+ minutes.

Tre is ideally a 3 and D first guard off the bench guy, I think most agree he can contribute at this level in that role.

Conditt needs to get stronger but with him and Foster, the 5 is at least serviceable.

We need Johnson/Blackwell/Dubar to turn out an above average and average player to share time on the wing. We also need to somehow land a solid PG.

If the above happens, talent-wise we have the players to be middle of the pack in the conference. We don't need 13 guys (or more than 8 even) to be a tourney team, they advanced to the Sweet 16 with win over UNC with 6 guys + Edozie. I realize we had 7 most the year and they were very talented but really only 7. We are just trying to get in, we don't need to be a 3 seed.

Some pieces need to fall in place of course but you have 4 tries at improving the roster. Just speaking from a talent perspective, I could see this team make the tourney if a couple hit. I will plead the fifth on whether or not I believe in the coaching.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Statefan10

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
The main thing keeping me from being even a little bit optimistic is how prohms teams play. Even with some of the best talent that Iowa state has seen, they won..but most of the time it looked like they were just doing their own thing out there. Then you lose really good players that seemed to all be playing me ball “For the most part”.. and the team looks so bad that it hurts to watch.. unless one of the freshman is a superstar or a transfer just explodes next season I’m not confident that prohm can get any group of guys to play as a formidable team without a talent gap bailing him out.

Reactions: zeke

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

Your standards adjusted too high after how murderously competitive it was there for awhile, almost all of that "awhile" being the first few years of the Prohm era.

This wasn’t one If the best years in terms of quality depth. KU and Baylor really pulled up the league.

• Winner
Reactions: xboxfever

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Arguing against statistics is an odd move

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
You put Colorado and Nebraska in the Pac 10 during his tenure......Greg only has 8 conference wins in 4 years. His first season would have been his best with 3.....his last season his worst with 1. This season blew, and Prohm is no John Wooden...but let's put this comparison to rest.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Maybe he can learn from Bill Fennelly, Bill put more line ups out this yr than I can ever remember him doing, granted it was because of injuries but he kept that team together and had a pretty solid season for all the turmoil it had.

Ironically over the last 10 years or so Bill has had a big problem retaining players...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Prohm is nowhere near as bad as McD was.

This year was still an unmitigated disaster, and the future looks bleak. I don't know why we have to go back and forth on just how bad it was.

• Winner
Reactions: Kurttr

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Ironically over the last 10 years or so Bill has had a big problem retaining players...

Schroll (Spelling?) was the one that really surprised me. I think most of the time he was losing role players further down the bench, but the yrs blend together and I don't always keep it all straight. Bill seems to be more old school than Prohm but he has been there long enough a player should know what they are getting into when they sign to play at ISU. Another difference is that I think a lot of the women put a higher value on their major and education than some of the guys. No evidence to back this up just a feeling IMO.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Prohm is nowhere near as bad as McD was.

This year was still an unmitigated disaster, and the future looks bleak. I don't know why we have to go back and forth on just how bad it was.

Hyperbolic "this is the worst ever!" comparisons are satisfying to some.

Even if they are unreasonable.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: Kurttr and CyTwins

cb1030

Oct 6, 2017
Okay so what's the alternative for Steve? All ZG and TL were doing were taking up roster spots for guys that were actually going to contribute. Besides obvious body changes, I could not objectively say either of them got better in their time here at Iowa State. That's Coach's fault BUT it's also his job to fix it. If he thinks they won't help out next year, then we can should use their scholarships on capable players.
I'm starting to think you're actually Steve with how much time you've spent trying to defend this dumpster fire. Steve, please spend more time on actual defense, like on the court...

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I'm starting to think you're actually Steve with how much time you've spent trying to defend this dumpster fire. Steve, please spend more time on actual defense, like on the court...
Lol I can guarantee you Steve does not go to message boards to defend himself against people like us.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I still think Lewis should have started all year, and was probably the best player on our team(Outside of Halliburton). Prohm wouldn't play him, so he is out. I don't blame him. He should go to UNI next year, and they will be by far the best team in our state. People like to blame his defense, everyone on our team sucked at defense, so that is BS. He showed his ability to get buckets when given the time on the floor, and we desperately needed that this season. I hope he scores 20+ next year and becomes an NBA Player so it will be obvious that Prohm has no idea what he is doing.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I still think Lewis should have started all year, and was probably the best player on our team(Outside of Halliburton). Prohm wouldn't play him, so he is out. I don't blame him. He should go to UNI next year, and they will be by far the best team in our state. People like to blame his defense, everyone on our team sucked at defense, so that is BS. He showed his ability to get buckets when given the time on the floor, and we desperately needed that this season. I hope he scores 20+ next year and becomes an NBA Player so it will be obvious that Prohm has no idea what he is doing.
Terrence had limited ability when on the floor. He had some nice things he could do, but for being a "good shooter" he shot 30% from the 3. He constantly was in the wrong spot which threw off the flow, and on the defensive end couldn't guard his man and didn't understand help side defense at all.

He also was a huge liability when the ball was in his hands, having a 1:2 assist to turnover ratio (49 turnovers to just 24 assists) in his entire career.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron