Tavour

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I've seen Tavour mentioned a couple times on the forums and thought I'd start a thread to see who else was using it.

If you aren't familiar it's a monthly by mail beer club. You pay a flat shipping rate (or think of it as a membership fee) of $14.90 a month. That fee doesn't change regardless of the amount of beer you order. It's been around for a while, but only started shipping to Iowa a few months ago.

There is an app on your phone that suggests beers to order. Typically you get a notification for 1 or 2 different beers a day. Beers come from all over the US and a few from outside the US. All beers that you aren't going to find unless you are local to that brewery. Almost all have Untappd ratings that are 4+. I've had several I've checked in on Untappd that had less than 100 check ins at the time.

Downsides are higher price. I'd compare prices to if you go to a bar and order a good craft beer, so not terrible, but more than getting an Iowa craft beer at HyVee Wine and Spirits.

Also there is a little concern being mainly an IPA guy that IPAs are best the fresher they are. The beers all start out fresh, but since they only ship once a month plus shipping to Tavour and then to you that some could be less than ideal freshness by the time they get to you. I haven't noticed issues, but I don't know what they tasted like with full freshness so not sure what I am missing.

Website is here

https://about.tavour.com/

Also I'm posting this for the discussion and not trying to drum up referrals, but there is a referral system and you get a little discount if you get a code from a current member (and the current member does to). Send me a PM if interested.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I signed up for this a month or so ago but haven't paid anything yet. I'm fairly "in" to the beer scene, but haven't seen all that many I've heard of. Kinda curious to watch the list and see what comes available in the spring.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
There's a bad ass caramel cream ale they make in Florida. I wish I knew the business but it is divine. Not sweet, just smooth like butter.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
There's a bad ass caramel cream ale they make in Florida. I wish I knew the business but it is divine. Not sweet, just smooth like butter.

Is this it? Looks delicious.

Caramel-Cream-Ale_Ball_2018.png

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Is this it? Looks delicious.

Caramel-Cream-Ale_Ball_2018.png
Looks right. I got it served in a glass so I never saw the can. Got in Ft Lauderdale at a World of Beer. Said it was made not far from us. Boynton is only 20 miles from Coconut Creek so I assume that's correct. Best cream ale I've had.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I've signed up but don't really know what I'm doing. I had one beer that I put on a waitlist but when I go back to find out anything about that beer and if it's still on my waitlist, I can't find anything. I suppose it's possible that they will take my $15 and I'll get nothing.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I signed up for this a month or so ago but haven't paid anything yet. I'm fairly "in" to the beer scene, but haven't seen all that many I've heard of. Kinda curious to watch the list and see what comes available in the spring.

I think if you're looking for beers you've heard of it might disappoint. Although there's several.

Lunch, Juicy Bits, Hubbard cave Fresh series, Adroit EBK Ghost Series.

Severall well known breweries though. Anchorage, Adtroit Theory, Bale Breaker.

The "list" doesn't last long. Most sell out and leave the app in a few days.

• Friendly
Reactions: NickTheGreat

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Downloaded to look into getting some for SOs birthday coming up but didn't even make it past the zip code. Says they don't deliver here. Probably for the same reason there are no bars in this county. Boooo.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I've seen Tavour mentioned a couple times on the forums and thought I'd start a thread to see who else was using it.

If you aren't familiar it's a monthly by mail beer club. You pay a flat shipping rate (or think of it as a membership fee) of $14.90 a month. That fee doesn't change regardless of the amount of beer you order. It's been around for a while, but only started shipping to Iowa a few months ago.

There is an app on your phone that suggests beers to order. Typically you get a notification for 1 or 2 different beers a day. Beers come from all over the US and a few from outside the US. All beers that you aren't going to find unless you are local to that brewery. Almost all have Untappd ratings that are 4+. I've had several I've checked in on Untappd that had less than 100 check ins at the time.

Downsides are higher price. I'd compare prices to if you go to a bar and order a good craft beer, so not terrible, but more than getting an Iowa craft beer at HyVee Wine and Spirits.

Also there is a little concern being mainly an IPA guy that IPAs are best the fresher they are. The beers all start out fresh, but since they only ship once a month plus shipping to Tavour and then to you that some could be less than ideal freshness by the time they get to you. I haven't noticed issues, but I don't know what they tasted like with full freshness so not sure what I am missing.

Website is here

Also I'm posting this for the discussion and not trying to drum up referrals, but there is a referral system and you get a little discount if you get a code from a current member (and the current member does to). Send me a PM if interested.

Website is here

I checked out the website and think it’s interesting but needing someone 21+ to sign for it is not gonna work for a lot of people. They recommend using a business address but who wants to receive packages of beer at work? Seems like it would be too much of a pain in the ass unless you work from home or have someone there during normal business hours.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I checked out the website and think it’s interesting but needing someone 21+ to sign for it is not gonna work for a lot of people. They recommend using a business address but who wants to receive packages of beer at work? Seems like it would be too much of a pain in the ass unless you work from home or have someone there during normal business hours.

That's true of any alcohol delivery though. I agree delivering to work isn't realistic to most.

The good news is the use a small shipping company Spee Dee Delivery (yes that's actually a company). Unlike FedEx or UPS that just leaves a note and are gone if you aren't there, the spee dee guys are very flexible. They call and set up an appointment and will meet you other places that work.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
That's true of any alcohol delivery though. I agree delivering to work isn't realistic to most.

The good news is the use a small shipping company Spee Dee Delivery (yes that's actually a company). Unlike FedEx or UPS that just leaves a note and are gone if you aren't there, the spee dee guys are very flexible. They call and set up an appointment and will meet you other places that work.

Yeah I’ve passed the Spee-Dee trucks between Ames and Des Moines many times and have to laugh because of the name and they’re usually one of the slowest vehicles on the road.

I guess if they were flexible and could meet somewhere convenient on your way home from work it wouldn’t be bad. I don’t see myself using it a whole lot, probably just would get stuff I’ve heard of and really want to try.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Friend and I have been using the app and most of the beers I’ve ordered have been pretty good. Friend of mine pays for the beers and I venmo him an extra $.50 for each beer I get... so we are pretty much splitting the shipping cost, which works out well for us.

Our delivery company was just dropping off our packages at his door without a signature, so he called Tavour to complain as he was afraid a shipment would get stolen.... now he is gonna have to be home every time it gets delivered, big inconvenience for him, but it is his fault hahaha.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron