[Added Jason Essex] 2022 Class Breakdown

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
So far what do you guys make of this:
2022 Football Team Rankings (247sports.com)
I see we are up to #34. Did that maybe just move up a notch the past couple of days?

Also surprising to see Baylor at #18 so far, and PSU at #2?? They must be getting some good recruits (PSU).
Penn State has consistently been in the top 15 since Franklin took over. It doesn't seem to translate that well to on field success.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Penn State has consistently been in the top 15 since Franklin took over. It doesn't seem to translate that well to on field success.

Yeah it is Penn State...but in 7 seasons (and they were still in that mess his first couple of seasons) they have had 3 eleven win seasons! Last year was an odd year for PSU and many other programs...I would bet Penn State bounces back pretty well!

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Starting this up again. I updated Imming's and Becht's a bit.
I will not be going in order of commitment.
If you like reading these posts, consider listening to my podcast where I go more in depth about ISU recruiting with interviews and day-to-day analysis.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Xavier Townsend
Position: WR
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 180lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 72
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 93
Player Comparison: Dexter McCluster
Significant Impact: RS So.
Attributes: [WHOOP!][Freak][20/20]
Areas of Improvement:
For Townsend, the only area that he needs to improve is his route running and that is because he primarily plays running back in high school. His cuts are electric and will be amongst the best in college football. He is so quick, smooth and his vision is what Matt Campbell covets. His top-end speed is just no quite there yet. If he gets there, watch out.
Thoughts:
On my podcast, I like to ask players that I interview this question: "Who is the best player you have ever played against?"
I ask that expecting them to name either a player that I have never heard of or some freakazoid 5-star that everyone knows and is a total DUDE. When I asked couple of players from Tampa that question, there was no hesitation. "Oh, it's definitely Xavier Townsend," said Bryson Rodgers. Yes, 4 star WR that Bama, Penn State and Iowa State are pushing HARD for. Tampa is flooded with STUDS. A couple 5-star players and a BUNCH of 4 stars. For Tampa guys to name Xavier Townsend as the best player.... he's gotta be something special.
AND HE IS.
He has ELITE vision, he has eyes like Barry Sanders. He has ELITE cutting ability.
All and All, Iowa State is getting a SPECIAL playmaker that you should be excited about. I would not be surprised to see him get a four star rating in the near future.

Last edited:

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Andrew Keller
Position: TE
Height: 6'6"
Weight: 210lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 74
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 95
Player Comparison: Dallas Goedert
Significant Impact: RS Fr. Although the room is full, he will be the best all around tight end (blocking/receiving) on the roster after he gets acclimated to the program. He plays early.
Attributes: [Stretch][Freak][Jack of all trades]
Areas of Improvement:
He is skin and bones right now. He will need to put on 30 lbs to really compete through the gauntlet of the Big 12.
Thoughts:
There is a reason why I am writing this guy's bio before a lot of the four stars. We see this with a few guys every cycle. One team offers a kid who nobody was really looking at. Then, teams do their due diligence to check out the kid to see if he is worth pursuing. Quite often, a couple of other schools will offer the kid, but it will only be about 4 or 5; most teams won't want to get involved with the rat-race for a guy they may think is replaceable.

But ever so often, there comes a guy who IS NOT REPLACEABLE that somehow slips through the cracks. Once one team offers him, EVERYONE begins to offer him.

Andrew Keller is one of those cases.
Iowa State was the first P5 to offer him on May 2nd. Hours later, Michigan State offered.
May 5th, Hok offered, then Minnesota, then West Virginia ALL IN THE SAME DAY.
Virginia Tech would offer. Indiana would offer and Texas would offer!
This guy was on fire!

He only OVd two schools: HOK and Iowa State. The rest is history....

So what happened, why did everyone offer all at once?
Did he not release his hudl until May? No (though he did play in the spring).
Did he have grade issues? No, he's a great kid and great student
It's because Iowa State scouted him for over a year when no one else did, they offered him and others followed.

Andrew Keller may be the best tight end that has ever committed to Iowa State. He is an exceptional blocker, but where he really excels is as a receiving threat. At his size and with his speed, he plays like a wide receiver. He will be exceptionally difficult to defend by the average P5 linebacker. Teams will need to defend him with safeties, which will open up the long ball.

There is a specific play in Week 4 of his Junior year where he catches the ball, makes an athletic move, gets on his horse and races to the endzone for a touchdown. That play alone could have earned him scholarships. It shows how dang dynamic he is.

He is an EXCELLENT prospect and you should be ELATED that he is a Cyclone.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I'm thinking of either doing a certain WR or a certain DL next. Which one should I do?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Quaron Adams
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 160lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 66
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Marqise "Hollywood" Brown, Marquise Goodwin
Significant Impact: RS So. See Areas of Improvement.
Attributes: [Speedster][Freak]
Areas of Improvement:
He needs to learn how to play football. Everything from route-running, catching and building a football body is what he will need. It will take an offseason. Also, even though he will be one of the fastest players in college football, I think he has an extra gear to go even faster
Thoughts:
I have been waiting for a player like this for a long, long, LONG time. A player that is RIDICULOUSLY fast. Someone whose athletic gifts will leave you SPEECHLESS.
Quaron is one of the players. He is the fastest player that Iowa State has ever landed. He ran a 10.49s 100m dash as a FRESHMAN IN HIGHSCHOOL. For Reference, Trever Ryen ran a 10.89s 100m IN COLLEGE. Kene ran a 10.55s as a Senior in HS. Quaron would have beaten both by quite a margin AS A 5'3" FRESHMAN. This dude is FAST FAST FAST.

He plays on the same highschool team that Eli Sanders played on. They are a powerhouse and Quaron Adams is one of the big weapons on the team. He's caught quite a few long balls this season.

I worry that he is small and it will take him time to really learn how to play football. I don't plan to see him for a year or two, not even kick return. Once football clicks for him, WATCH THE F OUT. Basically what happened with Hollywood Brown. Needs a year or two to learn football, then he could be one of the most unstoppable receivers in the country. Time will tell though.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Name: Quaron Adams
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 160lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman: 66
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 92
Player Comparison: Marqise "Hollywood" Brown, Marquise Goodwin
Significant Impact: RS So. See Areas of Improvement.
Attributes: [Speedster][Freak]
Areas of Improvement:
He needs to learn how to play football. Everything from route-running, catching and building a football body is what he will need. It will take an offseason. Also, even though he will be one of the fastest players in college football, I think he has an extra gear to go even faster
Thoughts:
I have been waiting for a player like this for a long, long, LONG time. A player that is RIDICULOUSLY fast. Someone whose athletic gifts will leave you SPEECHLESS.
Quaron is one of the players. He is the fastest player that Iowa State has ever landed. He ran a 10.49s 100m dash as a FRESHMAN IN HIGHSCHOOL. For Reference, Trever Ryen ran a 10.89s 100m IN COLLEGE. Kene ran a 10.55s as a Senior in HS. Quaron would have beaten both by quite a margin AS A 5'3" FRESHMAN. This dude is FAST FAST FAST.

He plays on the same highschool team that Eli Sanders played on. They are a powerhouse and Quaron Adams is one of the big weapons on the team. He's caught quite a few long balls this season.

I worry that he is small and it will take him time to really learn how to play football. I don't plan to see him for a year or two, not even kick return. Once football clicks for him, WATCH THE F OUT. Basically what happened with Hollywood Brown. Needs a year or two to learn football, then he could be one of the most unstoppable receivers in the country. Time will tell though.
Definitely the type of WR we need in the program at this point. I have high hopes for Noel, but this team has been missing an impact slot WR since Deshaunte Jones graduated. Milton has had flashes and was especially great as a soph, but i'm not sure what is happening/has happened with him.

Excited for Quaran Adams

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Jeremiah Cooper
Position: S
Height: 6’0”
Weight: 170lbs
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Freshman:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 90
Player Comparison: Eddie Jackson
Significant Impact: RS Fr. He will be in the two deep by the latest his second year.
Attributes: [Jack of all trades][Ballhawk][20/20]
Areas of Improvement:
He’s VERY thin. Needs to get in the weightroom if he wants to have a chance at RBs like Bijan Robinson.
Thoughts:
I bet most of you are wondering “Wait? You did Jeremiah Cooper before *insert other skill player*?”
Yes, I did.
Jeremiah Cooper does not have the size to impress you, nor does his have the athletic measurables. On Friday nights, that doesn’t matter. There is no question who is the best player on the field.
Jeremiah does everything on offense and defense. This past week, he had TWO pick sixes. He is a HARD hitter, a sure tackler and plays with a CRAZY fluidity that only supper polished players can play with. Only very gifted players have that ability; it’s as if they are doing judo or some type of artwork.
He may never surprise you with his size or athleticism, but he was that big play ability that EVERY team covets.
I love this pickup and I wouldn't be surprised to see him play early.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyValley

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Name: Greg Gaines
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185lb
Other Measurables:
NCAA Football 14 Potential: 96
Player Comparison: USC Marqise Lee
Significant Impact: RS Fr. This prediction is being conservative with my guess. I predict the Cyclones will have high WR turnover in the offseason and there will be LOTS of catches available. The prediction of him waiting a year is being on the safe side that he might need a year to adjust; however, I think it will only be a year at the most. He will be a stalwart.
Attributes: [Flair] [Always Open] [Stick 'em] [Technician]
Areas of Improvement: Speed. He has all the tools except gamebreaking speed. That is not a dealbreaker for him and his success, but he could have first round pick potential if he gains that speed.
Thoughts:
Man oh man, where do I begin with Greg Gaines?
When I heard about Greg Gaines, I thought "There is no way we really have a shot at him, right?" He had offers to Georgia, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Penn State, etc.; I figured he would go to a blue blood and that is that.
And truth be told... if we didn't recruit him the way that we did, we wouldn't have landed him. Thank Tyson Veidt. Iowa State recruited Greg Gaines from his freshman year and tabs on him frequently. It was a masterclass in how to punch above your weight and land the big time recruit.
I watch A LOT of recruiting tapes so I believe that I have a keen eye for talent level and ability by watching a highlight tape. If a recruit makes one crazy catch on their highlight tape, it's luck. If they make a bunch, it's a pattern. Greg Gaines is one of those "throw it up and he will come down with it" type of receivers. He is totally a big play receiver much like Lazard and Butler (except for the drops). That is something EVERYONE can see from watching his tape and that is why he got so many offers.
The other notable point about his that fans may miss... he will be one of the best receivers next year on the roster at creating separation. This is the point that we are missing this year. Greg gets separation through his route running abilities and that translated to college and to the pros. A lot of high school receivers just try to beat DBs with speed. That doesn't work in college. Greg easily creates a two yard separation on most plays in high school. Even if that is a yard in college, that looks like a mile to a quarterback.
He has all the tools: route-running, separation, hands and then run after catch ability. He has the ability to be on the Mt. Rushmore of ISU receivers. He is a special talent and MAN I need him to get on campus.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Other Measurables:
Significant Impact: RS Fr. This prediction is being conservative with my guess. I predict the Cyclones will have high WR turnover in the offseason and there will be LOTS of catches available. The prediction of him waiting a year is being on the safe side that he might need a year to adjust; however, I think it will only be a year at the most. He will be a stalwart.
Areas of Improvement: Speed. He has all the tools except gamebreaking speed. That is not a dealbreaker for him and his success, but he could have first round pick potential if he gains that speed.
Thoughts:
When I heard about Greg Gaines, I thought "There is no way we really have a shot at him, right?" He had offers to Georgia, Auburn, Florida State, Miami, Penn State, etc.; I figured he would go to a blue blood and that is that.
And truth be told... if we didn't recruit him the way that we did, we wouldn't have landed him. Thank Tyson Veidt. Iowa State recruited Greg Gaines from his freshman year and tabs on him frequently. It was a masterclass in how to punch above your weight and land the big time recruit.
I watch A LOT of recruiting tapes so I believe that I have a keen eye for talent level and ability by watching a highlight tape. If a recruit makes one crazy catch on their highlight tape, it's luck. If they make a bunch, it's a pattern. Greg Gaines is one of those "throw it up and he will come down with it" type of receivers. He is totally a big play receiver much like Lazard and Butler (except for the drops). That is something EVERYONE can see from watching his tape and that is why he got so many offers.
The other notable point about his that fans may miss... he will be one of the best receivers next year on the roster at creating separation. This is the point that we are missing this year. Greg gets separation through his route running abilities and that translated to college and to the pros. A lot of high school receivers just try to beat DBs with speed. That doesn't work in college. Greg easily creates a two yard separation on most plays in high school. Even if that is a yard in college, that looks like a mile to a quarterback.
He has all the tools: route-running, separation, hands and then run after catch ability. He has the ability to be on the Mt. Rushmore of ISU receivers. He is a special talent and MAN I need him to get on campus.
Do you really think we'll have 4 outside receivers next year that will keep him out of the 2 deep?

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Other Measurables:
Thoughts:
Looking at our squad in the WR room. Gaines is a surefire day 1 starter. Has to be why he is still committed. Anxious for signing day. We have a number of high impact guys.

Reactions: aauummm

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron