Stupid logo hate thread

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Several months ago, somewhere in a marketing firm's offices, a frustrated (junior) designer was thinking, "Hmmm. A secondary logo for this college in Iowa. Where do I get the inspiration to move past this creative block ....." wizard-costume-felt-hat.jpg

Attachments

• wizard-costume-felt-hat.jpg
    wizard-costume-felt-hat.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I still can't believe this logo. Someone needs to come forward and explain themselves. Even if people say it is good, I think it is because they are trying to be nice. Deep inside they know this logo sucks. I like to think I have good instincts on this type of thing. I would say 1 out 10 people like this and only kids under 11 would think it is cool.

CyofClive

Nov 21, 2010
So who is coming up with the money for uniform and helmet changes every week? These don't come cheap?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I read a lot of this thread. You care. No one else does.

The whole ISU uniform looked like something my 5 year old niece would drag out of her closet for Sunday Mass. I don't get it. So why would you?

ISU needs winning football (killed my pool, guys) like that one last night more than a new logo or identity, whatever that's suppose to mean.

But in reality no one outside of ISU fans give a hoot nor will they remember the down-the-drain logo. I assume it will never be used again, given all the flagellation here.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Also, I don't think people are thinking about how this logo would look on a basketball jersey. I think it will look even worse on a basketball jersey than on the football helmet.

Reactions: goldmember

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com

The whole ISU uniform looked like something my 5 year old niece would drag out of her closet for Sunday Mass. I don't get it. So why would you?

ISU needs winning football (killed my pool, guys) like that one last night more than a new logo or identity, whatever that's suppose to mean.

But in reality no one outside of ISU fans give a hoot nor will they remember the down-the-drain logo. I assume it will never be used again, given all the flagellation here.

If we're gonna suck, and it's clearly out of our control as no one puts butts in seats to watch garbage (sorry defense, not you) like ISU...then we might as well look good. Can't even do that right.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
This would sell, I have no doubt. Big and centered on a tee, left chest of a polo, on a hat...anybody for a grass roots petition?

First things first. Is this logo even copyright protected? anyone know?

501604.jpg

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I fail to see how this is a relevant point. You're right. We do care. And you do too, I guess.

The most tired argument is "who cares about the logo, win games" as if our coaches and players are in the design room. Why can't we have a cool logo and win games? Why can't we have a cool logo and lose games? How are they related?

This isn't about creating a culture through a logo. It's about a multi-million dollar entity unable to produce something that looks like it cost more than $20 of work.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
Is it possible that the marketing people said let's roll it out and test it in real time, thereby eliminating expensive research and testing? Have we underestimated their marketing savvy? I'm told this is also getting serious response on the Hawkeye sites, so we'll be able to analyze those results as well.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
The "marketing people" do not work in the business school, so it clearly shouldn't be a reflection of the business school. And even at universities with "true" business schools, the administration very seldom gets input from their experts that research and teach the subject matter.

And this is further proof we are indeed an ag &engineering school where jokes need to be explained...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Is it possible that the marketing people said let's roll it out and test it in real time, thereby eliminating expensive research and testing? Have we underestimated their marketing savvy? I'm told this is also getting serious response on the Hawkeye sites, so we'll be able to analyze those results as well.

If this is the case, and the marketing folks are reading this board, let me make my stance very clear:

THIS LOGO SUCKS PLEASE STICK WITH THE OLD CYCLONE.

There that should do it.

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Keith Murphy seems to be defending the new logo.

Not all of this heat against the logo can be due to the loss. This logo shows a disconnect. It's bad. ISU wins last night and I would say "Great win! Ugly lid".

Don't care if the national guys like it. It's really bad.
Murphy will be making fun of it soon on his talk shows

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
I seriously wonder how much money has been invested in this logo.
Were any focus groups used? If so, I'd like to see some of their comments.

Then to roll it out in a game where the team did not need any distractions is just stupid. If they need some extra juice, do it before some other game. Like the basketball pre-season intro thing.

Buy wow, the logo is bad.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron