Stupid logo hate thread

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Sad thing is, Joe Bosak's other work really isn't bad. He designed the Colorado Avalanche logo along with the 2018 Final Four logo. Just a complete flop on this one. Its almost as if he didn't even bother to use the old logo as inspiration

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Sad thing is, Joe Bosak's other work really isn't bad. He designed the Colorado Avalanche logo along with the 2018 Final Four logo. Just a complete flop on this one. Its almost as if he didn't even bother to use the old logo as inspiration

I would assume that he/they created a few different options and this is the one our athletic department settled on.

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
It's easy to criticize these attempts at branding, very easy. I hope the I-State logo is truly the primary logo. This thing last night needs a serious overhaul. I don't live in Iowa, and I'm proud to wear the I-State logo stuff because people do know that it does signal Iowa State.

Regarding the grey. Please stop with the all grey. I really don't understand this look at all. Can someone associated with the university explain why we are using a color that has no association with this school whatsoever?

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
here are isolated versions of my redesign concept if anyone wants to print them off and put them under peoples' windshield wipers or something.

but seriously, what a missed opportunity.

Attachments

• newlogo_card_gold.jpg
    newlogo_card_gold.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 39
  • newlogo_gold_card.jpg
    newlogo_gold_card.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 41

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
I think it looks pretty decent on the apparel that was linked, but they need to do something about the helmet if they plan to use it again. They need to make sure the color scheme works, and possibly go the oversize route like others are doing with helmet logos.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yep, that logo sucks, particularly on the 'cardinal' helmets. Not a big deal, but it's sad we likely paid for some R&D. Hopefully the free version included navy.

Edit: As others have mentioned, a much better design and implementation would have taken about 30 seconds with the old cyclone. Someone in the AD getting kickbacks on going with this?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Most of his stuff is just over-designed -- too many colors, too much shading and beveling, stuff like that. Just too busy. @amestoplease and his gentle updating of the 1980s tornado with a little more color and cardinal/gold mixture (the old one-toned version did look a little flat by the more modern standards) is how we should have though about approaching this one.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I imagine this will slowly fade away. The "sex offender" Cy logo -- the "eye of the hurricane" Louisville knockoff -- has not caught on with the fan base.

Neither will this one.

I imagine it will slowly fade away. We kind of had I-State forced down our throats, though, but that was a primary and we had little choice about using it.

I-State seems here forever, but I am shocked we cannot come up with a good Cy logo and Cyclone logo to round out our pantheon once and for all.

• Dislike
Reactions: Spanky

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The atrocity of dumb-logo and sweatpants almost makes me pine for the identity-stranglehold Pollard established.

I've relaxed my view about alternates. But so far in Campbell era, this is the only successful change.

ALL WHITE HELMET.jpg

Attachments

• ALL WHITE HELMET.jpg
    ALL WHITE HELMET.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 11

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I imagine this will slowly fade away. The "sex offender" Cy logo -- the "eye of the hurricane" Louisville knockoff -- has not caught on with the fan base.

Neither will this one.

I imagine it will slowly fade away. We kind of had I-State forced down our throats, though, but that was a primary and we had little choice about using it.

I-State seems here forever, but I am shocked we cannot come up with a good Cy logo and Cyclone logo to round out our pantheon once and for all.

The block I-STATE is simple & effective. The stencil version is even better and a step in the right direction. "Hurricane" Cy & this latest abomination are total WTFs.

Help Support Us

Become a patron