Starting lineup/rotation discussion

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Most of you guys have probably seen me post on the men’s basketball forums or know me from Twitter but you might not know that I’m a season ticket holder for women’s basketball as well. I just don’t post as much on here so if it’s been discussed about already, apologies.

What’s everyone guess at the starting lineup to start the season? Always very tough to predict a Bill Fennelly starting lineup because he seems to change it every game.

My guess:
PG: Alexa Middleton
2. Madison Wise
3. Ashley Joens
4. Bridget Carleton
5. Meredith Burkhall

Bench:
6. Adriana Camber
7. Kristin Scott
8. Inès Nezerwa
9. Rae Johnson

Outside looking in
Jade Thurmon
Nia Washington
Lauren Mills
Morgan Kane
Maddie Frederick

What’s everyone else thinking?

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I have no idea just hoping for better results than last yr. I'd like to see us be competitive in the B12 (top 4) nobody is bumping off Baylor. Make the Tourney and get at least to the Sweet 16 again.

The last few yrs have been disappointing with us backing into the Tourney and then going out in the 1st round.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Most of you guys have probably seen me post on the men’s basketball forums or know me from Twitter but you might not know that I’m a season ticket holder for women’s basketball as well. I just don’t post as much on here so if it’s been discussed about already, apologies.

What’s everyone guess at the starting lineup to start the season? Always very tough to predict a Bill Fennelly starting lineup because he seems to change it every game.

My guess:
PG: Alexa Middleton
2. Madison Wise
3. Ashley Joens
4. Bridget Carleton
5. Meredith Burkhall

Bench:
6. Adriana Camber
7. Kristin Scott
8. Inès Nezerwa
9. Rae Johnson

Outside looking in
Jade Thurmon
Nia Washington
Lauren Mills
Morgan Kane
Maddie Frederick

What’s everyone else thinking?
As far as starters, I agree. Not sure about Burkhall, especially given her off season health issues, but not sure who would slide in there. I think Jade might get some PG minutes, so I would move her up to “bench.”

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think a lot of the "bench" players will get a fair amount of playing time early. I imagine either Jade or Nia will get regular minutes (if not both). No idea who the starting post will be, but Burkhall, Ines, and Scott will all get plenty of minutes regardless. I could see Scott starting at 4 and Bridget at 3 (with Joens coming off the bench) early on, but I imagine Joens will be a regular starter by conference time at latest.

• Agree

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I have no idea just hoping for better results than last yr. I'd like to see us be competitive in the B12 (top 4) nobody is bumping off Baylor. Make the Tourney and get at least to the Sweet 16 again.

The last few yrs have been disappointing with us backing into the Tourney and then going out in the 1st round.

I'm curious as to how Inez Nezerwa will turn out. I'm surptrsed I didn't see her play any last year as I went to quite a few JC tourneys here in TX.

There are several arm chair gurus who are predicting that OU may be the surprise of the conference this year to challenge TX for 2nd place. I'm thinking WV could surprise a few too as they have Tynece Martin back and she can score on any body almost anywhere.

I've watched both TX & BU in their 1st 2 scrimmages. TX is not quite the team they were last year IMO. But they do have a freshman, Collier, who is a wow factor. BU is loaded with talent with the exception of PG due to the dismissal of Morris who was destined for greatness but couldn't keep her nose clean. She is still in school and rumor has it that if she stays clean for a year KM will let her back on the team next year. Note I said "rumor". BU probably had a NC caliber team if she had stayed on ship.

Based on additions and subtractions I see TT as being a little better than last year. TCU, KU, KSU, and OSU will probably be about the same. BU should be just as strong if not stronger than last year. TX will probably be down a little. I expect ISU and OU to be considerably better.

Now it's time to play to see if I'm even close to being right.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: knowlesjam

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm curious as to how Inez Nezerwa will turn out. I'm surptrsed I didn't see her play any last year as I went to quite a few JC tourneys here in TX.

There are several arm chair gurus who are predicting that OU may be the surprise of the conference this year to challenge TX for 2nd place. I'm thinking WV could surprise a few too as they have Tynece Martin back and she can score on any body almost anywhere.

I've watched both TX & BU in their 1st 2 scrimmages. TX is not quite the team they were last year IMO. But they do have a freshman Collier who is a wow factor. BU is loaded with talent with the exception of PG due to the dismissal of Morris who was destined for greatness but couldn't keep her nose clean. She is still in school and rumor has it that if she stays clean for a year KM will let her back on the team next year. Note I said "rumor". BU probably had a NC caliber team if she had stayed on ship.

Based on additions and subtractions I see TT as being a little better than last year. TCU, KU, KSU, and OSU will probably be about the same. BU should be just as strong if not stronger than last year. TX will probably be down a little. I expect ISU and OU to be considerably better.

Kinda hard to take too much exception to that pre-season assessment. Let the race for 2nd place begin!

Informative as I did not know that Morris had gotten the boot. Yikes.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Your internet seems to have a nine-year lag. I suggest unplugging your router and plugging it back in.

I think you are underestimating Poppens and Prins. I know starting two true freshmen in the post might be a risk, but I think (at least) one of them will be great.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I think you are underestimating Poppens and Prins. I know starting two true freshmen in the post might be a risk, but I think (at least) one of them will be great.

I don't think Stuckey will be in the starting lineup at the beginning of the season, though. My hunch is Whitney Williams will be starting in that spot.

• Disagree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I think a lot of the "bench" players will get a fair amount of playing time early. I imagine either Jade or Nia will get regular minutes (if not both). No idea who the starting post will be, but Burkhall, Ines, and Scott will all get plenty of minutes regardless. I could see Scott starting at 4 and Bridget at 3 (with Joens coming off the bench) early on, but I imagine Joens will be a regular starter by conference time at latest.
By bench, I didn’t mean those players would be stuck on the bench. More so just meant they’d be the main 4 coming off the bench to contribute. I do think Jade and Nia will get some minutes. What about Mills, Frederick and Kane? They seem like the biggest unknowns.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I've watched both TX & BU in their 1st 2 scrimmages. TX is not quite the team they were last year IMO. But they do have a freshman, Collier, who is a wow factor. BU is loaded with talent with the exception of PG due to the dismissal of Morris who was destined for greatness but couldn't keep her nose clean. She is still in school and rumor has it that if she stays clean for a year KM will let her back on the team next year. Note I said "rumor". BU probably had a NC caliber team if she had stayed on ship.

We'll gladly give you a guard for one of your posts. :)

Buckminster

Nov 10, 2017
I pretty much agree with the comments in this thread.

My pick for a "nobody saw this coming" season is Adriana Camber. At times she shows athletic abilities that very few women players at Iowa State have ever demonstrated. She shows signs of becoming a very good 3-point shooter, let's hope her off season focus on this takes her to the next level (above 40%).

I think she may be the first one off the bench, but in reality gets the same minutes as the starters.

Last year she averaged 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. I think she can improve those numbers to 10-12 points and 7-8 rebounds. She will also be among the team leaders in steals and get her share of blocks.

And no, I'm not her mother...

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I would expect to see a LOT of tinkering with the starting five, either through the end of December or until something 'clicks' just right. When Fennelly has his obvious starters, he rarely deviates from it unless someone does something outstanding in practices or the previous game (and they get rewarded for their extra efforts). Out of all these players, there will be one group of five that works better than any other combination. It will just take a while to figure that out.

I'm definitely curious to see what all the new faces can do. I'll miss both exhibition games this year because of a trip out-of-state. So I won't get to see how they look until the games start to count.

My first wish for the season: everyone stay healthy! My second wish for the season: win in Iowa City! It's payback time for allowing Blunder to win her first-ever game in Hilton last year.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
We'll gladly give you a guard for one of your posts. :)
Got guards. Just a little weak in true point guards. Have a freshman that's still wearing a brace on her knee. Shows a lot of swagger but needs mucho experience.

I would love to see ISU get another post with the hustle of Poppins. She was fun to watch.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I pretty much agree with the comments in this thread.

My pick for a "nobody saw this coming" season is Adriana Camber. At times she shows athletic abilities that very few women players at Iowa State have ever demonstrated. She shows signs of becoming a very good 3-point shooter, let's hope her off season focus on this takes her to the next level (above 40%).

I think she may be the first one off the bench, but in reality gets the same minutes as the starters.

Last year she averaged 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. I think she can improve those numbers to 10-12 points and 7-8 rebounds. She will also be among the team leaders in steals and get her share of blocks.

And no, I'm not her mother...
I don’t think you’re crazy for thinking that. I’m an Adriana Camber fan as well. Biggest weakness I see in her game is her ball handling. I too think she could jump her average up closer to 10 points per game though.