Sonos system.....any feedback or Black Friday sales?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Anyone have a Sonos system? I’m building a house this spring and want to install a Sonos or comparable system. I’m hoping to find some on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Anyone know of any sales?

Reactions: TXCyclones

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Anyone have a Sonos system? I’m building a house this spring and want to install a Sonos or comparable system. I’m hoping to find some on sale for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Anyone know of any sales?
Install Sonos? Isn't the whole point of those systems is they're wireless and no installation?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I have Sonos throughout the house. Great system but not as flexible or high end as if you put together your own system. For example, you can't connect the Sonos Play Ones to your TV without the Playbar, which I would have liked to do.

If you are looking for quick setup and easy mgmt, way to go. If you are a high end audiophile, you probably want to piece together your own system from my perspective.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I've had Sonos for years and love it. I've moved a lot, so it's nice to be able to haul them with me from house to house. The sound is awesome if set up correctly, and if you buy from Sonos directly (all or partially) they'll typically send somebody to do the set up for you.

The introductory Play1 speaker pair is on sale at Costco right now for $269.

The best part of Sonos is being able to play multiple rooms together, or break them off with separate atmospheres for each room, and pull from a variety of libraries or streaming services.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I have a Sonos One and it sounds outstanding. If I currently didn't have a nice Samsung sound bar, I'd buy a Sonos Sound bar.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I have probably a dozen or so Sonos speakers. No experience with the Amp or any of the stuff like it.

It's wonderful stuff. It works well and sounds pretty good all things considered.

Having the ability to have TV audio all over the house is amazing. Totally worth the price of admission. :confused: :D

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Have the beam and sub. It’s ok, IMO doesn’t hold a candle to a decently setup component system if you’re willing to pay a few extra $ though (20%), and look at them.

the Alexa app compatibility is hit and miss, you can’t sync it with non Sonos Alexa devices.

Reactions: NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Have the beam and sub. It’s ok, IMO doesn’t hold a candle to a decently setup component system if you’re willing to pay a few extra $ though (20%), and look at them.

the Alexa app compatibility is hit and miss, you can’t sync it with non Sonos Alexa devices.

I'll second this. If you only wanted sound for watching TV in a room, I don't think Sonos is the right tool for the job. Certainly not for the cost. Assuming you have no desire for the sound anywhere else in the house.

The beauty of it is having the entire Sonosnet. Plug a speaker or two in each room, and you've got sound everywhere.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I have probably a dozen or so Sonos speakers. No experience with the Amp or any of the stuff like it.

It's wonderful stuff. It works well and sounds pretty good all things considered.

Having the ability to have TV audio all over the house is amazing. Totally worth the price of admission. :confused: :D

Agree 100%.

i had been saving some money as I wanted a nice system but didn't want to mess with wires. Have not been disappointed. I started with Playbar/Sub/Play1s for home theater and very quickly added Play1's in other rooms along with a couple play 3s. It is really cool to have the audio from my tv throughout the house (great for football games).

Adding speakers super easy. Neat as heck how the app tunes the speakers to the room, etc.

I'd also check out Facebook Marketplace and Amazon used...I got a used Play1 in the box for $100 on Amazon a couple times.

Also, a hint lower end speaker that Ikea partnered with Sonos on is available (i don't have any, but would consider for a room just wanting audio) https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/ikea-collections/symfonisk/

I personally just have Play1s (that don't have Alexa) as we already had an Amazon and I linked them so i can use my Alexa to control the system.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I would echo most of what has been noted here already. Great system, the benefit is investing in the whole ecosystem. Having a Playbar (or Playbase, or Beam) + Sub + Play 1's is a fantastic 5.1 surround setup to start.

IMO, the sound quality is fantastic. Definitely compares well to any wired setup I've had in the past. Particularly the sub, it is quite impressive.

HOWEVER, if you're building, and your builder will allow you to run your own speaker wire anywhere in the house, all rooms, levels, etc - that's probably the way to go. Save some money and do it yourself before the drywallers come, put the wire where you want speakers (i.e. ceiling, wall, wherever). You can even merge a wired setup with a wireless Sonos setup using the Sonos Amp (or Connect). Also works very well, and having whole home audio at my fingertips is a game changer.

One thing I do recommend (if you get Play 1's for rooms or surround) is to ask your builder to put some outputs up in the corners. You can then mount your Sonos Play 1 next to it (I buy mounts from Amazon), and get a 6in cable (also from Amazon) and plug it in directly. The downside of Sonos is, that while it is "wireless", you still need to plug it in. But mounted up high with an outlet up high, it's clean and tidy and you don't see the cord.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Spend the money for good speakers. Sonos is okay for portable speakers, but built in you can do better.

• Agree
Reactions: huntt26