Something fun...homecoming in the 50's

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Wonderful photos, I really love to see the old shots from the 50s and 60s. I did a little research - that homecoming game against Missouri took place on October 17, 1953. Looks like the cardinal red was not as dark as you see today.

That team went 2-7, and only had four home games on the schedule. They beat South Dakota and Missouri. Simpler times.

I'm sure students then hated the hoks as much as they do now.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Acylum and aauummm

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
We lived in Pammel Court while dad was finishing his degree. I was but a wee tyke then, but mom has lots of stories about waking up with blankets frozen to the metal walls and terrible drafts through the place. I think I remember dad saying that rent was around $18/month.

[email protected]

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 22, 2008
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Acoustimac: My dad graduated Vet Med 1954 and my mother was a grad school chemist in Ames Lab also...Small world...Lived in Pammel where I'm sure I was conceived....MUCH simpler times. Thanks for sharing

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Awesome pics. I agree with other posts, photos are in excellent shape and it's cool to have color photos from that era, when B&W was so much more common. When I look at the game photo I can almost feel like I'm at the stadium.

What was capacity of Clyde Williams at the time?

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I was noticing the last one. With the cars parked next to the bleachers. I was wondering how much you had to contribute to get one of those spaces? Probably $100/year maybe?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I was noticing the last one. With the cars parked next to the bleachers. I was wondering how much you had to contribute to get one of those spaces? Probably $100/year maybe?

Compelling question.

Inflation-adjusted would be about $950 today --- does that sound like it'd align with a similar spot today? (Also would have to take into account relative size of stadium and surrounding area). ... I have no grasp of even tailgate rental rates in current times, so I'm curious if someone could estimate.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Acoustimac: My dad graduated Vet Med 1954 and my mother was a grad school chemist in Ames Lab also...Small world...Lived in Pammel where I'm sure I was conceived....MUCH simpler times. Thanks for sharing

what was your dad's name. It was a close knit community so I bet they knew each other. My dad was Bill McElroy and he's still around at 89 years of age! To answer the other question...he wasn’t a letter winner. He was actually asked to wrestle, but couldn’t take that on along with school and two jobs.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Great photo to use when people complain our standards of living have not improved since the 1950s or the 1960s -- people used to pack themselves into sardine cans like that. Our modern housing stock is so much more spacious than that.
Along with our energy consumption and environmental impact. Since the 80's the average home size has doubled. Funny, cause I never recall being short on space back then.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Compelling question.

Inflation-adjusted would be about $950 today --- does that sound like it'd align with a similar spot today? (Also would have to take into account relative size of stadium and surrounding area). ... I have no grasp of even tailgate rental rates in current times, so I'm curious if someone could estimate.
Mostly first come, first served for parking in those days, I believe. And folks did not tailgate like we think of it now is my understanding of things.

Even in the 1970's at JTS, we just parked in the grass right by the stadium (there was no paved parking (S lots) at that time. I remember showing up, parking, and walking right in.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Awesome pics. I agree with other posts, photos are in excellent shape and it's cool to have color photos from that era, when B&W was so much more common. When I look at the game photo I can almost feel like I'm at the stadium.

What was capacity of Clyde Williams at the time?

At that time, it was around 26,000. They removed the press boxes in 1960 (they had those on both sides) and built the three level press box on the west side and added seats to the east side to get up to around 30,000.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron