Some interesting matchups this weekend ...

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Wow, the one most interesting because I really haven't a clue who wins it is yours v. the Pokes. Two teams that look a lot alike to me sans QB where ISU has a very clear advantage negated somewhat by playing it off in Stillwater.

I think that ISU fans are pessimistic on this one just because every time we've been in a position like this, the team has laid an egg. Also, OSU blitzed the hell out of Purdy last year and pretty much caused him to melt down. It did not help that the OC decided to abandon the run game (even though the game was close) and have Purdy throw it 50 times. If we don't have a better plan this weekend, the results will be the same.

That said, whoever wins this game will flat out be in the driver's seat for Arlington.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A lot of the OSU pick was me protecting against the kick in the nuts. This is a huge game for ISU and I just can't get myself to the point that I expect to win it. Maybe it's just PTSD from all the past experience I have with games that could put ISU into the Big12 title game contention.

If ISU keeps playing 'forward' like they have the last two games, they'll at least have a shot to win at OSU.

Like it won't be like in Austin in 2018 where they just didn't have a shot.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Seems like a month since we last had B12 games of note. Tomorrow's will be a hoot.

ISU +(3.2+0.3) @ oSu - I've been on oSu from the getgo/never moved off +3.5
Ku +18.5 @ K-State - that's a lot of points in a rivalry game/pooka'd up to +20.5
OU -6.5 @ TCU - Frogs with the points/remained at -6.5
Baylor +10.5 @ Texas - Bear down/"eyes" down to +8.5
WVU -3 @ TxT - upset special? -3.5/-2.5 depending on site

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll go with:

ISU to win outright with a defensive or special teams score being the difference

KSU to cover - only way they don't is if Klieman takes his foot off the gas after they get up by 17 and rests starters

OU wins but TCU covers as they have another one-score game

Texas wins, but Baylor covers with a late meaningless score

Tech wins outright

Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ISU (+3.5) : I think we win or lose by a field goal.

KSU (-20.5) : Wildcats force 3+ turnovers and Kansas's defense can't stop their run game.

OU (-6.5) : OU plays their best game of the year defensively and TCU can't keep up with that offense.

Baylor (+10.5) : Texas should be 1-3 right now if it weren't for TTU blowing a huge 4th quarter lead. In the Big 12, every game of theirs has been won or lost by 1 score and two have come in OT.

Tech (ML) : Tech's backup proves why he should've been the day 1 starter and WVU's defense gets exposed.

Reactions: heitclone

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

KSU (-20.5) : Wildcats force 3+ turnovers and Kansas's defense can't stop their run game.

OU (-6.5) : OU plays their best game of the year defensively and TCU can't keep up with that offense.

Baylor (+10.5) : Texas should be 1-3 right now if it weren't for TTU blowing a huge 4th quarter lead. In the Big 12, every game of theirs has been won or lost by 1 score and two have come in OT.

Tech (ML) : Tech's backup proves why he should've been the day 1 starter and WVU's defense gets exposed.

The Baylor/UT line surprises me, the only thing I think Herman has going for him is its a must win game. Horn's at 1-4 would be great drama for the rest of the season.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I don't know what it is about Texas with all the talent they have to be such an underperforming nest of dysfunctionality? Gary Patterson absolutely owns Austin.

I thought Herman showed when at Houston that he could put Texas back on track. But my gosh, they suck given their resources.

Texas and Ku show from different levels just how very hard it is to win. Bill Snyder made a point of saying that after almost every victory.

Both our schools' fans need to recognize and appreciate the excellence shown by coaches and players in winning at this level. I believe we take it for granted way too often in victory and defeat. It's hard. Ask Tom Herman and Matt Wells.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Texas is close to being 1-3 now. But they are also a goaline fumble and making one play against OU from being 4-0. On one hand it sure seems like they are having some serious problems and could mail it in the rest of the year. But, at the same time, we know they have talent and they battled back against TTU and OU. I would love to see them crash and burn the rest of the way, and it very much could happen. But I think people might be starting to dismiss them a little early.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Texas is close to being 1-3 now. But they are also a goaline fumble and making one play against OU from being 4-0. On one hand it sure seems like they are having some serious problems and could mail it in the rest of the year. But, at the same time, we know they have talent and they battled back against TTU and OU. I would love to see them crash and burn the rest of the way, and it very much could happen. But I think people might be starting to dismiss them a little early.
Yeah no doubt. I was bringing all that up in reference as to why I was picking Baylor to lose by 10 or less. Citing that every game they've played so far in conference play has been a nail biter and that I don't trust them to win by more than that 10.5 line. I would be surprised if Texas actually lost this game and if they would, Herman's seat would be the hottest it has ever been there.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't know what it is about Texas with all the talent they have to be such an underperforming nest of dysfunctionality? Gary Patterson absolutely owns Austin.

I thought Herman showed when at Houston that he could put Texas back on track. But my gosh, they suck given their resources.

Texas and Ku show from different levels just how very hard it is to win. Bill Snyder made a point of saying that after almost every victory.

Both our schools' fans need to recognize and appreciate the excellence shown by coaches and players in winning at this level. I believe we take it for granted way too often in victory and defeat. It's hard. Ask Tom Herman and Matt Wells.
Texas is not the only school like that. There are many others that consistently have top-10 to 15 recruiting classes but haven't been able to reach their potential. Michigan, Miami, FSU, Tennessee, USC, Texas, Texas A&M.

Reactions: surly

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If ISU runs the table, that Louisiana game is going to vault up the list of biggest ISU nut kicks ever.
Let's just say we do run the table and everything else is chalk.. Clemson wins the ACC, goes undefeated, with ND losing twice to Clemson and coming in second. Bama wins the SEC, goes undefeated, with Georgia losing twice to Bama and coming in second. Ohio State goes undefeated and wins the Big 10. Iowa State wins out and ends the year with 1 loss. Then you have whoever comes out of the Pac-12, which likely will be someone who has one loss (hasn't been an undefeated Pac-12 team in forever)

1. Clemson
2. OSU/Bama
3. OSU/Bama
4. ISU/Pac-12 winner who'd be 6-1

The CFP committee has never picked a team with 2 losses to make it and they won't this year either. So, do you pick a 6-1 USC or Oregon? Well, neither of those two even play a ranked opponent during the year and would face only one good opponent and that would be in conf. championship game. Or do you choose Iowa State who'd have 3 or 4 ranked victories? I think they'd go with Iowa State honestly.

Will that all happen? No because that's not usually how this goes.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Iowa State goes with one loss over any two-loss team anywhere. Now, the danger is UGA beating Bama in the SEC championship game, sending both 1-loss teams to the CFP and/or the P12 rep being undefeated. Either happenstance would likely eliminate a one-loss Cyclones squad.