Should Have Redshirted Swiderski

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I never mentioned anything about either guys talent or mindset. There are however a lot of similarities. Both looked great in early season close losses to top ranked opponents. Both were considered the top recruit of his class. Pre season and early season expectations on both were very high and coaches verbally touted the special talents for both guys.

Don't misinterpret my comment as a prediction on how I think Casey's career will play out. That will be written by his results moving forward. I do think most of us don't realize or under estimate how big of a jump it is when transitioning from a "world class" level high-schooler to a AA level competitor at D1.
I don’t remember for sure, but there is no way Meeks was considered anywhere near the level of recruit as Casey. #2 overall for Casey. Meeks was probably the top recruit if the ISU class, but not a top national recruit.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Meeks was ranked 2nd at 138 nationally. The problem was he never wrestled any of the big national tournaments. Maybe one his senior year.

In the end I think he as perhaps overrated and then had KJ as a coach which didn’t help.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I don’t remember for sure, but there is no way Meeks was considered anywhere near the level of recruit as Casey. #2 overall for Casey. Meeks was probably the top recruit if the ISU class, but not a top national recruit.
Just sharing the similarities that I see. We can agree to disagree if you don't see em. Go Cyclones!

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Just sharing the similarities that I see. We can agree to disagree if you don't see em. Go Cyclones!
I’m just pointing out the factual inaccuracies in your post. No agree or disagree. Meeks was like 40-50 in his class. Swiderski #2 overall. Night and day.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I’m just pointing out the factual inaccuracies in your post. No agree or disagree. Meeks was like 40-50 in his class. Swiderski #2 overall. Night and day.
Or you can just admit the accuracy of my post like another poster has already done. But hey, it's obviously your world and we're just living in it. Lol I'm out

• Agree
Reactions: matclone

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Casey is going to be fine. He's elite, he is just adjusting to college wrestling, managing weight, and most importantly, he has a serious injury. Kid has to have surgery right after the season.

To call him a bust already is completely stupid and I can't wait for a couple years from now when he is competing for a title to bring this back up again..

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Hindsight posts are always silly. On this topic, mine would be:

Now that CS's season has been hampered by an injury and he's not doing so well as I'd hoped, I cannot believe that the staff didn't have the foresight to red shirt him.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

What’s Matthew’s doing to make Casey make the face he did? Hard to tell but looks like Matthew’s left hand is on Casey’s inner thigh possible a muscle squeeze?
Edit: most likely got the pressure point?

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020

What’s Matthew’s doing to make Casey make the face he did? Hard to tell but looks like Matthew’s left hand is on Casey’s inner thigh possible a muscle squeeze?
Edit: most likely got the pressure point?

Just seems to be arching and stretching Casey out. Typical of a leg ride.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Funny they left the part out with Casey taking his ass down twice the last minute and if he kept his big toe in for 5 more seconds the first takedown, I honestly think Casey takes him down off the bat in OT.

That match was a turning point for Swiderski. He's getting either Happel or Hart and possibly both. I don't care about Illinois but obviously want him to win, conference just means more right now.

Love this kid and am so glad he is at ISU.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I'm in the Swiderski will be fine camp.

He'll keep learning and adjusting. I'm sure the staff is working on the mat wrestling, and that will come. I'm sure he's learning and adjusting some of those tactical things that can flip some of his losses, i.e., the difference a few seconds of riding time can make.

For this season, if he can make some tactical tweaks, keep his weight management right, and get back into that early-season berserker mentality, he'll still be able to open some eyes.

As for the talk of him not looking that big compared to the other 141 guys, body composition is a weird thing, and looks can be deceiving, especially with a kid who's fresh out of high school and still growing. To me, he looks fairly sucked out. I have NO idea how things will shake out for weights next season, but Casey is at his best when he's running wide-open, and I think bumping Casey up in the future would be more conducive to that style. That said, I'm just a dude in the stands. Maybe he can stay down at 141 and run wild with the right nutrition and conditioning. Time will tell.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
I’m optimistic he still figures it out this year. Win this weekend and I think he starts building the confidence back. He has been close and this weekend he finds away to finish.

Reactions: CyGold and jkbuff98

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006
John Meeks was ranked #6 in the entire class in 2012 by Intermat, just an FYI. His redshirt got pulled because of a great showing against Joe Colon at the Harold Nichols open.

But I still think Casey will be fine as well.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and matclone

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I'm in the Swiderski will be fine camp.

He'll keep learning and adjusting. I'm sure the staff is working on the mat wrestling, and that will come. I'm sure he's learning and adjusting some of those tactical things that can flip some of his losses, i.e., the difference a few seconds of riding time can make.

For this season, if he can make some tactical tweaks, keep his weight management right, and get back into that early-season berserker mentality, he'll still be able to open some eyes.

As for the talk of him not looking that big compared to the other 141 guys, body composition is a weird thing, and looks can be deceiving, especially with a kid who's fresh out of high school and still growing. To me, he looks fairly sucked out. I have NO idea how things will shake out for weights next season, but Casey is at his best when he's running wide-open, and I think bumping Casey up in the future would be more conducive to that style. That said, I'm just a dude in the stands. Maybe he can stay down at 141 and run wild with the right nutrition and conditioning. Time will tell.
Anyone think CS at 149 and PJ at 157 is a possibility for next year? I’m a less knowledgeable fan than many here, but I’m not a fan of weight cutting.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Anyone think CS at 149 and PJ at 157 is a possibility for next year? I’m a less knowledgeable fan than many here, but I’m not a fan of weight cutting.
I don’t think Paniro has the height to succeed at 157 like he has at 149. I’m guessing it’s more likely Casey bumps to 157 (maybe after a redshirt year)

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I'm thinking that PJ is a career 149. He looks strong and quick and I'd be afraid he'd either lose some quickness or horsepower moving up. If CS has to move up he's got the length to jump to 157 IF he could pack on some muscle. He appears more later maturing than PJ.

Edit: Opps, should have red Stu's genius reply before I posted ;)

Reactions: stuclone and Proton