Rogan interviewed Gable

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I haven’t listened yet so maybe the info is in there but I would love to know how in the hell this even got set up and happened. It seems like two completely differently kinds of people to say the least.
A lot more similar that you might expect, worth the listen.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Gable has demonstrated very little loyalty to ISU in the public arena...yah. he coached at Iowa but his Hawk schtick gets old. If he is an ambassador for wrestling ...he has a lot of work to do with his Alma Mater...Iowa State University.
Please expound on this. I've seen Gable on TV wearing his ISU letterman's jacket a couple times...is there hostility between him and our AD? What is this "work" you suggest?

Admittedly, I'm not tuned into the wrestling program as much as I should be (was really tuned in when I was a classmate of Cael's...) but I thought Gable and ISU had a good relationship. Not so?

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
Please expound on this. I've seen Gable on TV wearing his ISU letterman's jacket a couple times...is there hostility between him and our AD? What is this "work" you suggest?

Admittedly, I'm not tuned into the wrestling program as much as I should be (was really tuned in when I was a classmate of Cael's...) but I thought Gable and ISU had a good relationship. Not so?

You are correct..Gable wore it s couple of times (if I recall during a Hall of Fame ceremony).

After that, he dons Hawk gear most of the time. He seems to avoid being overly identified with ISU. It also would be a nice gesture if he sponsored some kind of Gable scholarship for an ISU wrestler..."jus sayin."

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure JP consulted with Gable on the best candidates for the ISU job after Jackson was fired.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Dan and a lot of his wrestlers were regular attendees at weekend keg parties at a Johnson County farm house back in the day.

The guys putting them on were trying to make money off it.
The hogs and turkeys that were served were always stolen (once in the while the beer was).
Drugs were everywhere, of course.
Not top notch molder of young men stuff.

Where was my invite

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Dan Gable is a bona-fide hero, even if he doesn't share my political views or doesn't always wear a Cyclone jacket. I can't believe the sniping.
A bona-fide hero? Why exactly? I'm not going to claim to know all his exploits, but being really good at wrestling and winning Olympic gold do not qualify. So what am I missing?

Reactions: GoldCy

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
A bona-fide hero? Why exactly? I'm not going to claim to know all his exploits, but being really good at wrestling and winning Olympic gold do not qualify. So what am I missing?
Not only was he really good, he was the best in the world (at wrestling). Then, he became the best college wrestling coach, akin to John Wooden's accomplishments in basketball. He has continued to be an ambassador for wrestling when he could have quit years ago.

I don't know your qualifications for a hero, but in my book he is a giant.

Last edited:

RClone

Dec 8, 2019
Not only was he really good, he was the best in the world (at wrestling). Then, he became the best college wrestling coach, akin to John Wooden's accomplishments in basketball. He has continued to be an ambassador for wrestling when he could have quit years ago. I don't know your qualifications for a hero, but in my book he is a giant.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Or exactly like it was when Gable was a student at ISU. There was always scuttlebutt about their drunken brawling but nothing hit the papers till Chuck Jean and some other wrestler thought it would be cool to get drunk and wrestle a penned deer at Ledges State Park on a dare, and killing it with a knife. And later cooking and eating it at a kegger. Also a lot of tension and some fights between the wrestlers and the football players that, IIRC, were racially related. Not good times at all.

Pretty good summary of what kind of ******** we used to have at ISU when I was in school:
https://www.usawks.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129920

#boyswillbeboys :oops:
Your story is true. Your account of strife between FB and WR doesn't ring true. Wrestlers were always getting into trouble. Guys like Ernie Gillan were notorious, but he just picked on anybody.
It was Nik's house that he provided for the wrestlers where they cooked the deer.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
Not only was he really good, he was the best in the world (at wrestling). Then, he became the best college wrestling coach, akin to John Wooden's accomplishments in basketball. He has continued to be an ambassador for wrestling when he could have quit years ago.

I don't know your qualifications for a hero, but in my book he is a giant.

I define what you describe as achievement, not heroism. Gable certainly has accomplished much in the sport of wrestling.

• Agree
Reactions: cmjh10 and JM4CY

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Yeah, I have mixed feelings about him that would put this in the cave.

There is no doubt that during his coaching years at Iowa he was as good at what he did as anybody has been. It was mesmerizing to be around that program at that time and around him, certain types of ISU fans might not like to hear that but it's just the truth. I had a VHS tape showing Iowa's practices, I think produced by Asics, that I watched over and over again as a kid training in the 80s and 90s.

I had John Smith tapes and went to his camps too. His techniques are what I actually used to get an edge. Gable's style did not fit my strengths the way Smith's did, but I watched that Gable/Iowa VHS tape for inspiration and it always ended with me going out and training like a madman.
I always like these types of interviews. Don't always like Rogan but when he has a good guest on they are always entertaining.

I simply like noticing interviews with what makes the great ones tick, and morality aside Gable is the Michael Jordan of wrestling. His work ethic and dedication to the sport are impressive in their own right. If he had been born in a later generation he could have maybe been a UFC great.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron