Replacement for Ruhle at Baylor?

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
As much as I want Rhule to go to the NFL, can someone explain to me what his appeal is for these NFL teams?
Looking at his Wikipedia, his only pro experience is 1 year with the Giants as an assistant OL coach. And yet he was in serious talks with the Jets last year after a 7-6 year at Baylor.

Just wondering why NFL teams are giving him this much of a look considering many successful college coaches have flamed out in the NFL.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2020cy

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
As much as I want Rhule to go to the NFL, can someone explain to me what his appeal is for these NFL teams?
Looking at his Wikipedia, his only pro experience is 1 year with the Giants as an assistant OL coach. And yet he was in serious talks with the Jets last year after a 7-6 year at Baylor.

Just wondering why NFL teams are giving him this much of a look considering many successful college coaches have flamed out in the NFL.
My cynical opinion is that the NFL is so conservative and afraid to try new things/give people a shot, that anyone with moderate success and the smallest bit of NFL experience is placed far higher than proven coaches at the FCS, DII and DIII levels who are doing the real innovation.

I think Manning's year in the pros was a pretty shrewd career move in that it gave him a much better shot at landing another NFL job if he ever wants it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Possible replacement is Phil Snow, Baylor’s current DC. They had an unreal season this year and he has a history of putting together some strong defenses. Only real negative is he’s old, but he’d probably be their most stable option.

• Informative
Reactions: Snydes

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Possible replacement is Phil Snow, Baylor’s current DC. They had an unreal season this year and he has a history of putting together some strong defenses. Only real negative is he’s old, but he’d probably be their most stable option.

Snow is 64. I was thinking Baylor's co-OC, Glenn Thomas (who was also Rhule's OC at Temple). He is Brewer's QB coach. Texas guy. Mid-40s.

Rhule to NFL is bound to leave behind more assistants than Rhule to USC or some blueblood college program, where he could bring his whole staff with him.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Look at the location of the schools, the condition of the programs when each coach took over, etc. Again, not saying Campbell is the better coach, just saying arguments can be made to make it close.

ok I guess I “handicap” the results to match the difficulty of the job, so we are saying the same thing.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Jim Criner isn't doing anything...
...that could be because he's dead but I'd make him their frontrunner anyway.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron