Remote Jobs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Does anyone know of some good remote jobs currently available? Been having a tough time finding much.

Do any sort of Google search and add in 'remote' or go to LinkedIn and search jobs and put 'REMOTE' in the 'location' box. Also look for consulting or freelance jobs. For instance, I am in communications/PR and there is a site called UpWork that lists out a bunch of jobs every day that you can apply for.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Does anyone know of some good remote jobs currently available? Been having a tough time finding much.

What have you been doing or what are you looking to transition to? Are you willing to work the "off hours"?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
My wife is a recruiting practice lead at Aston Carter, any specific industry you’re looking into?

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Lots of the transportation sector is moving to remote. If you have experience in logistics that would be a good spot to look.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Just don’t have much of an IT aptitude. Wish I did.

Do you have any skills Napoleon?

Seriously, unless you are really young, what have you been doing? Sales? Marketing? What education, training, skills do you have? What do you like to do and/or what are you good at?

Looking for remote "whatever" isn't going to help you. We can't give you directions if you don't know where you want to go. Not trying to be a jerk, hope it doesn't come off that way. Just help us to help you.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA
What have you been doing or what are you looking to transition to? Are you willing to work the "
Do you have any skills Napoleon?

Seriously, unless you are really young, what have you been doing? Sales? Marketing? What education, training, skills do you have? What do you like to do and/or what are you good at?

Looking for remote "whatever" isn't going to help you. We can't give you directions if you don't know where you want to go. Not trying to be a jerk, hope it doesn't come off that way. Just help us to help you.
I’d prefer to find something sports related. I used to be a sports writer for about 10 years. I have also recently worked in the student loan industry and for a home improvement financing company. Just tired of all the office drama.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I really hope that remote jobs are here to stay. I know early during the pandemic, watching CNBC, a lot of business leaders were talking about lots of jobs working from home. But then as things progressed, things began to shift to a partial work from home. Now where at a point where it seems business leaders are more on the work in office than from home stance. So I am leery of the staying power of this. Not to say more companies will offer work from home perks, but I just feel that things are slowly creeping back to a work in office environment.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
You need to be a little bit more specific in your search and then tailor your resume to the type of position you're looking for.

Many jobs might be willing to let you work remote if you have the skills they're looking for. Many sectors have good online learning courses that you could take in the evenings/weekends to get skills you need. For the most part employers won't care that you don't have a degree in a particular area if you have the skills you need, but when you make a career change you do need to have some level of proficiency to get your foot in the door.

One area worth looking into is data science/data analysis.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I’d prefer to find something sports related. I used to be a sports writer for about 10 years. I have also recently worked in the student loan industry and for a home improvement financing company. Just tired of all the office drama.

Hmmm. OK. So sports writer, then just customer service type McJobs basically. That's not much for marketable skills. Probably going to have to sell yourself as self-driven go-getter type.

I think I would suggest identifying some sports related companies, and targeting the company rather than any specific role or job. Just get your foot in the door with any entry level thing, and then try to make a career from there. That's best advice I can think of rn. Others probably can do better.

I will say, you are gonna have office drama anywhere, even working remote. You just won't be as aware of it, and if the drama is about you, that can be bad lol.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
Wife is looking into remote work as daycare costs are getting to be too much. She is certified in radiology but has been working in inventory the past few years. Anyone done coding or have any ideas of something that could be done where the schedule is flexible like that?