Redskins Yes or no

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Yes, it's currently the team's name. No, it won't be for long.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
In truth, money talks.

Snyder didn't want to change. Probably still doesn't. But sponsors started to apply a lot of pressure. That was the end.

This is what market forces look like. Hooray for capitalism!

Reactions: Waukee4Cy

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I can see both sides of this and certainly support a new team name if that's the case. I just hope the organization did its due diligence in talking to those that would actually be offended by the name vs. the recreational outrage folks. If a decent percent of Native Americans associated with the name were offended then yeah definitely support change it. If that vast majority said they were fine with it, then we should respect that opinion as well.

Reactions: SCyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
In truth, money talks.

Snyder didn't want to change. Probably still doesn't. But sponsors started to apply a lot of pressure. That was the end.

This is what market forces look like. Hooray for capitalism!
100%

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Don’t care. It’s the NFL. If your NFL team name is such a huge part of your personal identity then you need this in your life.

Reactions: isukendall

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Redskins is objectively more offensive than Chiefs, Illini, Seminoles, Blackhawks, etc. It's not even the same argument as those names where there's at least some nuance to the debate.

If it were a larger population demographic it wouldn't have survived even the 60s and 70s.

Of all these name and logo debates it's the one that's a slam dunk to change. Imagine if we weren't used to it and some new expansion team named themselves Redskins.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's been chipped away for about 50 years and has gone back and forth so this is just the conclusion.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If redskins is gone, I want the fighting Irish gone.

Fighting Irish is comparable to Fighting Illini. The "fighting" is debatably offensive but Irish and Illini aren't inherently offensive.

Redskins is comparable to something like "Blackies" or to be honest most things I'd probably have this post deleted for dreaming up. There's no angle where "Redskins" is honoring the subject in question.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Interesting where the term "indians" arose. Columbus mistakenly thought he had arrived in southern Asia, and hence used the term "indios" , which means "person from the Indus valley".

Illustrative of how the Europeans assumed they superseded those people indigenous to North America. Just get out of the way and let us take over your native land.

KCCLONE712

Jun 29, 2011
As a Redskins fan and a Native I never found it offensive. I feel most other Natives I have spoken with didn't find it offensive either, this is anecdotal. One thing that is not anecdotal is that this really never picked up steam until a bunch of non-natives thought they would tell me it holds the same value/context as the N word. This simply is not true and I have never been called a "Redskin" and never known any of my full-blooded relatives to be called that, not to say it didn't happen.

If the team was named or someone called me or my family Savages, Engines, or an Injun I would be offended as those are actual slurs I have heard.

This is my opinion and I am only speaking on my experiences. But I think this sucks because the Redskins have been a team favorite since I was born and I identified with the team because of that reason. If I am upset with anything it's that Dan Snyder is a F'ing A@@ hat and he should probably give some of his money to underprivileged reservations for monetizing on the Natives. But hell, I could even overlook that if he wasn't such an incompetent owner and put together a few winning teams now and then.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
If redskins is gone, I want the fighting Irish gone.
Turns out the Fighting Irish name has ties to the Civil War and the New York 69th Brigade known as the "Fighting Irish Brigade" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Brigade_(Union_Army)). Additionally, there was an event in 1924 where a group of Notre Dame students violently fought a local Klan (the Klan was strongly anti-Catholic) group out of South Bend. (https://www.nd.edu/stories/a-clash-over-catholicism/)

While I get the sentiment, it isn't anywhere near as problematic as Redskins.