RECRUITING: Morrow to Marquette

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
To all the "another miss by Prohm" crowd. What's your end game?

As others have said the transfer world has changed drastically since Fred built his first team that way. We are now competing with blue bloods for transfers. I'll give Prohm credit for still getting in there and mixing it up with other schools for the top recruits.

No end game, a few posters just point out Prohm has failed miserably in the transfer market in his 23 months here. So since the transfer market is so different than 3 years ago, would we still be whiffing on every major target if Hoiberg was still here?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Sucks but oh well. I liked him but hopefully Lard and Young pan out. One thing that is annoying. I thought they brought in Robinson because of his Illinois and specifically Chicago connections. What has he done with that? Nothing. Hopefully he can coach up the bigs because that is the other thing he was brought in for I believe.

It says on 247 that Robinson was lead recruiter for both Terrence Lewis and Darius McNeil.

http://247sports.com/Coach/Daniyal-Robinson-2529

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I feel like many are penalizing the staff for targeting top transfers. We were never the favorite (almost could say all were long shots) in the recruitment of top grad transfer guards/wings Alstork, Egor, Crawford, and Brown. It felt like we had a decent shot at Brown because he visited Ames and things went well, but ultimately I never got the feeling we would be able to pry him off the West Coast and away from 2 teams that were in the Final Four this past year.

Juiston was a deal that was out of our control. It was certainly unfortunate as he would of had an immediate impact next year, but how things played out was no fault of the staff. I certainly think you can write this one off as an anomaly.

I never was really sure if Darryl Edwards was a for sure take. A good but not great JuCo guard is always a risky endeavor. I was never sold on him and how he would fit in with the current roster so I wasn't really disappointed at all to see him head elsewhere.

Morrow is certainly frustrating because it felt like it was 50/50 and he would of been a huge front court boost as someone who has already produced at the Power 5 level. Competing against Marquette and Xavier for his services was stiff competition for the staff. However, we essentially shot 50% on similar targets as they were able to pull Shayok who was also being courted by Baylor and Marquette.

I guess my point is you have to look at each case individually. Morrow would be the one that I'm disappointed about this Spring but with that being said I understand why he would choose Marquette. I'm hopeful they can land one more sit out player that we can look forward to in 2018/2019.

According to most posters on this site, we were pretty much guaranteed to get all of them. I even read alot of posts saying we would be happy with at least 3 or 4 of them.

Reactions: isutrevman

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Robinson took over for TJ on Lewis, I think Small recruited McNeil the most IIRC

Just going off what I saw on 247. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's a far-cry from statements like "Robinson doesn't bring anything to the program."

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just going off what I saw on 247. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's a far-cry from statements like "Robinson doesn't bring anything to the program."

I think Robinson is the weak link on the staff but I'm not on board with he doesn't bring anything to the program. If we were to try to upgrade it would need to be him IMO but I don't see it happening

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
According to most posters on this site, we were pretty much guaranteed to get all of them. I even read alot of posts saying we would be happy with at least 3 or 4 of them.

Consesus on the grad tran guards/wings was...

Egor - Oklahoma
Brown - Oregon
Crawford - Ole Miss
Alstork - Michigan*

*A lot of unknowns with Alstork's recruitment right now... his Final 6 are Pitt, South Carolina, Illinois, L'ville, LSU, and GTown. I'm going to predict Louisville if Donovan Mitchell stays in the draft.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
To all the "another miss by Prohm" crowd. What's your end game?

As others have said the transfer world has changed drastically since Fred built his first team that way. We are now competing with blue bloods for transfers. I'll give Prohm credit for still getting in there and mixing it up with other schools for the top recruits.

Do we have to have and end game? I support Prohm and love the fact that he is our head coach. He is the right man for the job, no doubt. We can critique him, say he whiffed this off-season in the transfer market, and still support him as our coach....nothing wrong with that IMO.

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Woof this is super disappointing. I honestly didn't think we would strike out this bad with the transfers. Why can Prohm recruit high schoolers at a high level, and not land a decent transfer? We are in a nightmarish situation right now for filling out the roster for next season

goclones69

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 5, 2012
Robinson did help with those guys but Prohm was really the main recruiter, same with Wigginton. As I stated, Robinson was hired because of his Illinois and Chicago connections to recruiting. So far they haven't made any inroads in that area.

Yeah i'm starting to wonder if Prohm is reluctant to shake up his staff. Robinson and Small haven't really done much as far as recruiting goes. Don't most assistants sign 2 years contracts? This offseason would have been a good time to shake up the staff, but i'm guessing everyone signed to new contracts and will be around for a couple more years...

Last edited:

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
No end game, a few posters just point out Prohm has failed miserably in the transfer market in his 23 months here. So since the transfer market is so different than 3 years ago, would we still be whiffing on every major target if Hoiberg was still here?
Last year we were not a good situation for a grad transfer. Our starting lineup was stacked for guards, no way someone is coming to compete with Monte, Naz, and Matt. Not to mention Burton, Babb and DJ. There's a reason Jakolby as a top ~125 player didn't see the floor. I would argue Bowie alone was a good get for last year; we aren't Big 12 champs without him.
Where were you during that? Do you just swarm to negativity? Haven't seen you post since ISU was struggling in Feb.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It is?

This is the same conversation as the first time he was here. Of course he's doing something, but he's here to bring in guys. I don't think anyone feels he's not trying to recruit, and eventually he'll land someone. But it's fairly common to have guys like Robinson come and go.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
It will be interesting to hear Morrow's comments on why he ultimately chose Marquette. Don't really care about anything coming from SJ as we probably already know.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Morrow said he was sold on the staff and their experience and the role they envisioned for him. he said it was exactly what he was looking for and he felt it was the best situation for him.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Last year we were not a good situation for a grad transfer. Our starting lineup was stacked for guards, no way someone is coming to compete with Monte, Naz, and Matt. Not to mention Burton, Babb and DJ. There's a reason Jakolby as a top ~125 player didn't see the floor. I would argue Bowie alone was a good get for last year; we aren't Big 12 champs without him.

Where were you during that? Do you just swarm to negativity? Haven't seen you post since ISU was struggling in Feb.

Taking a wait and see approach and just doing some reading on here while everyone was else was getting excited about which 4 transfers we would get.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Morrow said he was sold on the staff and their experience and the role they envisioned for him. he said it was exactly what he was looking for and he felt it was the best situation for him.
If the NU boards are correct about his aspirations, perhaps they told him he'd play more on the wing.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think Robinson is the weak link on the staff but I'm not on board with he doesn't bring anything to the program. If we were to try to upgrade it would need to be him IMO but I don't see it happening

No doubt he's the weak link. He was on McD's staff too.