Recommendation for Windows in Ames?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Anyone have a company they would recommend to replace windows at my house in Ames? TIA

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Anyone have a company they would recommend to replace windows at my house in Ames? TIA

I've had Window World do window replacements a couple of times for me and been pleased both times. We had an old house drafty house and just wanted pretty basic vinyl windows/trim that were going to improve energy efficiency and look nice so can't speak to the high end windows but their basic ones were really reasonable and did the trick.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
We're renovating a house and putting mostly all new windows in. Our contractor wants us to use Jeldwen since that's what Menards carries here in Marshalltown. Any thoughts on those? Something else? Pella, Anderson, JeldWen, Heartland... Vinyl, wood, fiberglass, composite... so confusing.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

A vinyl window is a vinyl window. Find the best deal and someone who will repair/replace any rot before putting the new windows in. And knows how to flash properly. Like tigershoops stated......Window World is okay for basic stuff if don't mind your trim being just aluminum stock and caulk. When I do them......I always recommend doing wood trim, and paint all four sides of the trim before it goes up. It will last longer than you. The aluminum and caulk method just hide what is going on underneath. After a few seasons of expansion/contraction around here.....you better be caulking again or water will get behind the aluminum and start rotting your window frame.

Last edited:

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
We're renovating a house and putting mostly all new windows in. Our contractor wants us to use Jeldwen since that's what Menards carries here in Marshalltown. Any thoughts on those? Something else? Pella, Anderson, JeldWen, Heartland... Vinyl, wood, fiberglass, composite... so confusing.

Most all windows made today are of acceptable quality. Some have better insulation qualities. Find the best deal with the style you like and you should be fine. It's the installation that makes it or breaks it. Like I stated above.......I recommend wood trim around whatever window you chose. That's what I do, paint all four sides. You get into the aluminum stock which a majority of companies use, you must be very diligent with maintaining the edges where they put a bead of caulk. It doesn't take too many seasons to break the bead of caulk. The aluminum is then preventing evaporation and hiding what damage is occurring.

DevilDog

Apr 9, 2006
Janesville
Originally had Windows 98 but loved XP the most! We had Hayfield casements put in a few years back & simply amazing.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Due to the derecho, we were getting 11 windows replaced with Pella fiberglass windows. Our contractor uses them (Pella) exclusively, which is fortunate because 4 years ago we replaced all 9 bedroom windows with those. We went directly through Pella and paid about $850 per window, installed. Fast forward to now, and we're getting the exact same windows at cost...$400 each, installed. Naturally, we're taking advantage and getting the additional 9 replaced, so the entire house will have new windows.

As far as fiberglass goes, they seem to work best in our climate because they're less likely to expand and contract with the heat and cold. Overall, we like the Pella windows. I wouldn't pay $850 per window again, though.